Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece vs Armenia (11 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

22 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

We won't beat Finland away. I don't understand how anyone can think that. It's a mess now. The game is like 10 weeks away. This European campaign is over. 

Be prepared to wait a long long time to ever qualify again. It's going to be Years to fix this mess. 

We are now 52 in FIFA rankings , 31 in European teams. We will end up probably in pot 5 for next qualification. Then what? Lol ? 

its a chain reaction will take years and years to fix. I don't think we will ever qualify again for at least another 20 yrs. 

Why u laughing not a real Ellinas I guess. Stick to baseball or hackey. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

Because it’s funny they suck so much for one. And, there are a lot of other more important things that make you a Greek. Soccer isn’t one of them. 

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Because it’s funny they suck so much for one. And, there are a lot of other more important things that make you a Greek. Soccer isn’t one of them. 

Whatever Jimmy/to blue.. Stick to your tsn hackey boards. Hopefully canada can improve in that "sport" 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Why would the best need need to improve? Where are you from again? 

Say what you guys want , yes we are s%$#!,  yes we are all frustrated it absolutely sucks what's is going on with the NT. There is something much deeper going on. I personally don't think we will qualify as this team hasn't should me that they deserve for me to believe they will qualify. But Where I agree @Ellada2004 there is no way in hell you guys can sit and say Finland or Armenia or the Faroe Islands are better then us because that's just not true on paper we should be better then these teams and all the teams that were in the Nations league with us.. I don't think we are a top 20 team but I don't think we are a 50th place team either and we should be able to place better then the Finland's ,Armenia's, Hungary's of the world that's why this is so frustrating right now to be a Greek NT supporter.

• Like it 2

Guys, let's get along in here, ela. We're all frustrated but we're all in this together and we all want the best for this team. Even if we have different opinions on the current state, we all agree that it's a shitshow and things need to be turned around. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

Say what you guys want , yes we are s%$#!,  yes we are all frustrated it absolutely sucks what's is going on with the NT. There is something much deeper going on. I personally don't think we will qualify as this team hasn't should me that they deserve for me to believe they will qualify. But Where I agree @Ellada2004 there is no way in hell you guys can sit and say Finland or Armenia or the Faroe Islands are better then us because that's just not true on paper we should be better then these teams and all the teams that were in the Nations league with us.. I don't think we are a top 20 team but I don't think we are a 50th place team either and we should be able to place better then the Finland's ,Armenia's, Hungary's of the world that's why this is so frustrating right now to be a Greek NT supporter.

If we can’t be beating teams worse than us on paper then you know there is a deep deep problem. I can’t wrap by head around how Samaris plays so bad for the national team. He needs to sit out for a few games. Our defence is not the same defence that won a Euro and made major tournaments. We have no striker. Mitroglou is made of glass just like most of our players. If we could get a new EPO with a proper coach and have 95% of our players available then we can be in the top 20. Retsos and Donis are our young stars coming up playing in a good league. Sokratis and Manolas are our best and most experienced defenders. Fortounis is in the form of his life. Siovas and Kourbelis are good back ups. There is something to be optimistic about.  We have Galanopoulos and Koutris coming up the ranks. Papadopoulos when healthy can be vital for us. Mavropanos gives us extra hope for our future. It’s very frustrating at the moment and my patience is becoming very thin with some of our players. Samaris has to be dropped for me. Siovas and Kourbelis should sit the bench. Pelkas also. Kolovos is better off the bench. Donis must start for us whenever available. We have to call up some youngsters. Lamprou, Limnios, Bouzoukis, Galanopoulos etc. Masouras is ok he needs to improve but there is something there. Someone said it before whoever our coach is should be calling up players based on their skill set and what they bring to the game. Also form too. Not what agent they have eg. (Bakasetas)

• Like it 3

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

J1078 agree with you, we are not like the Spain's Italys or even Croatians of the world's but let's not forget more than a decade we were consistently ranked near the top 10 and this wasn't decades ago like say Hungary with there great teams of the 1950s. Within a short few years we have fallen into the 50s of the world rankings and have only managed to win 11 games? Our team still has enough talent that we should be more successful. So there is something very bizarre going on at this time. Skibbe for all his short comings managed to take this almost same squad to a world cup playoff in a tougher group and now they lose to Armenia at home, Italy I can understand but losing to Armenia it's baffling.

• Like it 2

I love how everyone says we are good on paper. Lmfao ?????

we should be the paper champions of the world ???????

listen. We are s%$#!. Our coach is s%$#!. We keep losing to teams that anyone can beat. We keep going down the rankings. We are not qualifying for the 2020 Euros. And next Year when they do the groups for the WC qualification we will be in pot 5. Making it even more unlikely we will qualify. Bringing us even lower on the rankings. Lol

this is a chain effect. We are F***ed. We will be on the outside looking in during the summer tournaments. It's going to be decades before we qualify. 

We will make it to the euros. I believe we can do it. We have a skilled enough team. We just need to work on the mentality and the coaching staff. Our players are skilled and experienced. These results we are getting lately are shockers to the world. NO ONE thinks greece is this bad. Something needs to be done about the support of the national team as well. There’s no such thing as home field advantage if you’re playing in an empty stadium. There should be better marketing towards filling the stadium. Greek fans are very loyal to their SL teams no matter how bad they perform. Why can’t it be this way for the national team. A friend told me today that the tickets aren’t even too expensive, something like 10 euros 

• Like it 2

12 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Easy, I play football. The World's GAME

The worlds game I agree. It would be nice to watch a game without them falling on the floor like they’ve been shot though. I played both. I chose hockey after and played up until about 10 years ago. Then the kids come and take all your time 

I don't subscribe to lack of talent excuse vs teams like Finland and Armenia. You have to adjust your tactics depending on the opposition unless your a world class team, which we  are not currently. We don't defend well... and there is no reason for that given we are very deep defensively in my opinion.  We have to play to our strengths which is defend well and build on counter...

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

listen. We are s%$#!. Our coach is s%$#!. We keep losing to teams that anyone can beat. We keep going down the rankings. We are not qualifying for the 2020 Euros. And next Year when they do the groups for the WC qualification we will be in pot 5. Making it even more unlikely we will qualify. Bringing us even lower on the rankings. Lol

this is a chain effect. We are F***ed. We will be on the outside looking in during the summer tournaments. It's going to be decades before we qualify. 

Bro learn how to read.... I said we are better on paper and have better players then likes of Faroe islands, Armenia, Hungary, Finland , Estonia and so on.. No where did I see we were as good as the top teams.. Yes the team is s%$#! yes the team is a disaster right now there is no denying that at all but if you think Armenia truly have better players then us you are either delusional or you have no clue about soccer. That is why I'm saying there is a huge disconnect with this team because they should be able to beat the teams I mentioned above.. 

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

We will be fine, that’s Canada’s men’s team your describing nothing since 1986 ? and they don’t even come close to qualifying in the easiest region with powerful  footballing nations like Cuba, Panama, Haiti, haha.. Total xeftila!

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

We will be fine, that’s Canada’s men’s team your describing nothing since 1986 ? and they don’t even come close to qualifying in the easiest region with powerful  footballing nations like Cuba, Panama, Haiti, haha.. Total xeftila!

Actually they have to beat Mexico the USA and Costa Rica to name some teams. Not world powers. But all better than Greece. And FYI Canada has won a gold cup in 1999. Bro I do t know where you’re from but your hate for Canada is strong. 

10 hours ago, jason said:

I don't subscribe to lack of talent excuse vs teams like Finland and Armenia. You have to adjust your tactics depending on the opposition unless your a world class team, which we  are not currently. We don't defend well... and there is no reason for that given we are very deep defensively in my opinion.  We have to play to our strengths which is defend well and build on counter...

Football has changed. You can no longer just sit deep and counter those days are gone. Teams like Armenia press high up the pitch and make it hard for you to move the ball from the back. How many turnovers did we see in the first 20 mins of the game? We move the ball slowly anyway, so the Armenian press made it near impossible for us to get out of our own half at times. It's like the Greek players had never seen a press before. 

Greece had done something similar to the Italians at times before we went 1-0 down and then it all feel apart (ironically we were left so open because we had pressed so high and won the ball back in a dangerous spot) I will agree it is strange we look so openly defensively, teams just cut through us. Probably a little tactical, midfield not shielding the defense adequately and perhaps the players trying to get a certain manager fired. 

• Like it 3

2 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Football has changed. You can no longer just sit deep and counter those days are gone. Teams like Armenia press high up the pitch and make it hard for you to move the ball from the back. How many turnovers did we see in the first 20 mins of the game? We move the ball slowly anyway, so the Armenian press made it near impossible for us to get out of our own half at times. It's like the Greek players had never seen a press before. 

Greece had done something similar to the Italians at times before we went 1-0 down and then it all feel apart (ironically we were left so open because we had pressed so high and won the ball back in a dangerous spot) I will agree it is strange we look so openly defensively, teams just cut through us. Probably a little tactical, midfield not shielding the defense adequately and perhaps the players trying to get a certain manager fired. 

Yes Armenia did force us into alot of turnovers and there pace upfront gave siovas and Sokratis lots of headaches. Our midfield did not move the ball quickly and the same thing happened vs Italy. Samaris had the most trouble making a quick pass or he was getting caught in possession many times. Vlachodimos should have prevented the first goal he looks a bit shaky with the NT as we saw in the Bosnia match.) I guess he's not use to being called upon to much with Benfica easily defeating there opposition in the Portuguese league. 

Nikopolidis retiring from the youth team makes me wonder why he was never considered for the national team job. He’s had some good performances with the U-21, last euro qualifiers they went 8-0-1 I believe or something like that and working in the youth system knows a lot of the younger players AND part of the 2004 team. Do you guys think he would be a good man for the job assuming he was interested of course...I’m not particularly familiar with his coaching tactics I’m just looking at his results.

1 hour ago, Bardouuu said:

Nikopolidis retiring from the youth team makes me wonder why he was never considered for the national team job. He’s had some good performances with the U-21, last euro qualifiers they went 8-0-1 I believe or something like that and working in the youth system knows a lot of the younger players AND part of the 2004 team. Do you guys think he would be a good man for the job assuming he was interested of course...I’m not particularly familiar with his coaching tactics I’m just looking at his results.

He already came out and said he wants the job and if it was offered to him he would take it.. At this point considering the EPO has no money for a reputable foreign coach I think it might come down to him and Ouzinidis. 

• Like it 1

Niko could be the right option. He will inject the youth into this team which it desperately needs. Guys that will come in and go balls to the wall, which in turn should inject the vets with more energy. 

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic