Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Group J - Greece Vs. Italy (8 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Argy

I think we all circled this date on the calendar when the fixtures were announced. 

Key for Greece: come to play from the start. All too often they shell up in the beginning trying to make it a defensive match, and only start playing when they are down 1 or 2 goals. We were fortunate to come back vs Bosnia. Italy will not be as forgiving. 

Should be a dandy. 

• Like it 2

• Argy changed the title to Euro 2020 Group J - Italy v. Greece (8 June 2019, Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Can say I've waited years for us to play the Italians in an official match. Growing up in Melbourne I have many Italian friends, it'll be good to watch an Ethniki match with a big group and mixed support for both countries. 

UEFA will need to send one of their better refs who takes no s****, any decision he makes he'll be swarmed by players kicking and screaming. We are very similar, both teams like to carry on and get in the ref's face. Una faccia Una razza, right?

• Like it 1

That statement is usually one way, they don't usually reciprocate the same thoughts with 'una razza una faccia".. It's more like we are the best forget about the rest. Hopefully Ethniki can play above themselves and smash the Azzuri..2-0

• Like it 3

I am so excited for this match, Greece rarely get matched up with Italy in Euro or WCUP qualifiers or at finals tournaments. I play football with many Italians and have lot of Italian buddies. When I ask them for there take they don't seem to be that confident as they say they are in transition and not an overwhelming side. 

Greece have to play it tight at the back and wait for our chances to come.. 

PA ME ELLAS! 

4 hours ago, nick said:

Has there been any reports on an estimated attendance. Will be pretty embarrassing if we can’t get 40,000 at least show up for an Italy game. 

Don't expect more than 15,000 in attendance.

6 hours ago, nick said:

Has there been any reports on an estimated attendance. Will be pretty embarrassing if we can’t get 40,000 at least show up for an Italy game. 

No but really do hope to see a big crowd, anything under 40k is a fail and officials would be to blame given how poorly the domestic game has been managed in terms of crowd control

7 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

I thought the friendly with Italy was back in November 2008 and the result ended in a 1-1 draw. 

Right 1-1. Gekas and Toni the scorers. Can't believe it has been almost 11 years.

Most Probably Starting Lineup 8/6/19 vs Italy

Odysseas Vlachodimos

Kostas Manolas
Sokratis Papastathopoulos 
Dimitris Siovas

Charis Mavrias
Kostas Stafylidis

Andreas Samaris
Zeca

Kostas Fortounis

Tasos Donis
Efthymis Koulouris

Reserves:

Vasilis Barkas
Alexandros Paschalakis

Giannis Kotsiras
Leonardo Koutris
Giorgos Valerianos
Dimitris Kourbelis

Andreas Bouchalakis
Manolis Siopis
Petros Mantalos
Dimitris Pelkas
Dimitris Kolovos

Tasos Bakasetas
Giorgos Masouras
Fiorin Durmishaj

Not in Squad:

Orestis Karnezis
Andreas Gianniotis

Michael Bakakis
Vasilis Torosidis
Giorgos Tzavellas
Spyros Risvanis
Kyriakos Papadopoulos
Dimitris Kolovetsios
Vasilis Lampropoulos
Dimitris Giannoulis
Kostas Tsimikas
Marios Oikonomou
Kostas Mavropanos
Babis Lykogiannis
Jose Holebas
Dimitris Nikolaou

Alexandros Tziolis
Sotiris Ninis
Lazaros Christodoulopoulos
Giannis Fetfaztidis
Nikos Karelis
Kostas Mitroglou

Edited by Greekaroos

————————-Vlachodimos————————

—--—Manolas——Sokratis———-Siovas———

Mavrias—--Samaris——-Zeca——-Stafylidis

——————————Fortounis————————

—————Koulouris——————-Donis———

17 hours ago, Alphonse said:

No but really do hope to see a big crowd, anything under 40k is a fail and officials would be to blame given how poorly the domestic game has been managed in terms of crowd control

I wonder how many Italians will make the short trip to Greece?

The Ethniki will need better team work and chemistry..The last match had little chemistry..like sleeping with a beautiful woman once, and having a problem going the second time round, then suggesting going for a feed at McDonalds instead. which reminds me, going to eat now.

He was injured, he hadn't played for around a month. Might be fit now but as Alphonse says he's in no form having had minimal playing time. All season really, wasn't a starter at Marseille and only played sporadically off the bench at Galatasaray, when he wasn't injured 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic