Phantis Forums

Friendly: Turkey - Greece ( 30 May 2019, Antalya Stadium, Antalya )

Omonoia9

Samaris was very bad yesterday, in the Bosnia match he was strong for us but Zeca in the middle with him helped out immensely. Fortounis smashed a great chance wide of goal in the first half, I thought for sure he was going to put it away. Overall he looked off vs turkey but I expect him to bring his best game vs Italy, let’s hope so.

16 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Samaris was very bad yesterday, in the Bosnia match he was strong for us but Zeca in the middle with him helped out immensely. Fortounis smashed a great chance wide of goal in the first half, I thought for sure he was going to put it away. Overall he looked off vs turkey but I expect him to bring his best game vs Italy, let’s hope so.

I wouldn’t count on it but I expect the whole team to be switched on. Fortounis dosent do well against good opposition. Italy has good defenders and I don’t see Fortounis troubling them. Samaris will bring no creativity. He is like a log. At least Kourbelis will bring energy and pick out a good ball. 

Donis, Kolovos and Masouras must start against Italy. They bring what we need and will give Italy something to think about especially with Donis pace. 

Realistically, the fact that we lost, and with no hands down is a good thing.
It was a harmless defeat that shows that some of these players are not ready.

I think some of our key players like Koutris, Fortounis, Samaris Kourbelis were at low tempo not playing too rough so they don't get injured for the upcomming important matches.

Siopis has huge mistake in first goal (he should be the one on Under pressuring to not allow so much open space for goal) and Samaris has 100% blame for the 2nd goal.

Apart from that we used like 3 or 4 players who are not CBs as CBs. Cannot judge. Kourbelis as CB is not as good as we d want him to be, especially vs a team like Italy. Siopis seems too little for now. Looks like a super sub of player who will be used after 65 when we re winning/having favorable result to use the fact that he can run up and down whole field to pressure the opposition and not allow them to find easy shots.

Koulouris was as active as he could but there was no service at all. If it was Mitroglou you guys would be crying how much he sucks and that we should try someone else.
Even Aguero would struggle with the Greek midfield service.

Fortounis especially was not even trying, I can't believe he was that bad. 4-4-2 didn't work in our favor offensively. 3-6-1 the team looked better.

Mavrias started off as a winger and ever since he moved to Sunderland he became a right back. I actually like him there were moments where he got himself in good positions it was just the lack of service from our players to put him through for example, Samaris.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:36 PM, Dean97 said:

I wouldn’t count on it but I expect the whole team to be switched on. Fortounis dosent do well against good opposition. Italy has good defenders and I don’t see Fortounis troubling them. Samaris will bring no creativity. He is like a log. At least Kourbelis will bring energy and pick out a good ball. 

Donis, Kolovos and Masouras must start against Italy. They bring what we need and will give Italy something to think about especially with Donis pace. 

Kolovos better start he has been great and always looks to play direct. 

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Guys is Mitro not called up? is he injured?

I can't  find any news on Mitroglou? We have to be better defensively as the last two games we have conceeded 2 goals in the first 20 minutes.. With Manolas back things should tighten up at the back. 

Also no Balotelli is a bonus, greek defence has to be especially careful with the pacey Moise Keen. 

8 hours ago, Chris Tsamados said:

So will Manolas be healthy for the Italy game? 

I'm hoping Sokratis is fit and just didn't play as he played in the Europa League final. 

Also I'd like to see Stafylidis  play in the LB role. 

Yes Manolas and Sokratis are healthy. I wonder what Angelo will do with the RB position. I probably prefer Sokratis at RB. But I don’t want Samaris to start. Kourbelis should start with Zeca in the middle. If Zeca goes RB then we will be in trouble in the middle.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:25 AM, Dean97 said:

Yes Manolas and Sokratis are healthy. I wonder what Angelo will do with the RB position. I probably prefer Sokratis at RB. But I don’t want Samaris to start. Kourbelis should start with Zeca in the middle. If Zeca goes RB then we will be in trouble in the middle.

That's good to hear!

Is Torosidis injured?

On 6/2/2019 at 10:25 PM, Dean97 said:

Sokratis has ZERO pace left...yes in a straight line chase he is decent..but will get dismantled by a pacy shifty winger.

We should play 3 at the BACK

Manolas Sokratis Siovas

RB     Kourbelis    Samaris      Koutris

Fortounis

Koulouris Donis 

Supply comes from the wings..Koutris has to be huge we have no RB of quality do we try Stafylidis there (Santos played Toro LB )..not a fan of Zeca...this is a below avg squad..the strength is the back 3 ...our 2 CDM have ZERO passing ability to link Fortounis to strikers

2 hours ago, OFIMTL said:

Sokratis has ZERO pace left...yes in a straight line chase he is decent..but will get dismantled by a pacy shifty winger.

Manolas Sokratis Siovas

RB     Kourbelis    Samaris      Koutris

Fortounis

Koulouris Donis 

Supply comes from the wings..Koutris has to be huge we have no RB of quality do we try Stafylidis there (Santos played Toro LB )..not a fan of Zeca...this is a below avg squad..the strength is the back 3 ...our 2 CDM have ZERO passing ability to link Fortounis to strikers

Zeca needs to start at mid he brings pace and speed that no other of our mids bring and his work ethic and hustle is needed.. I would take Samaris out before I take Zeca out of the line up.. he needs to start.

• Like it 2

If Zeca goes RB and Samaris is left to lead the middle we will be down 2-0 in the first 20 mins again. Samaris is getting a free pass, he has been horrible in the last few games for us. We are better off starting Mavrias at RB/W and putting Bouchalakis next to Zeca in the middle

• Like it 2

6 hours ago, OFIMTL said:

Manolas Sokratis Siovas

Mavrias   Kourbelis    Zeca      Koutris

Fortounis Pelkas

Koulouris  

I agree with this formation but not the personnel. I’ve changed the players around  in bold from your post. This is what we should do in my opinion. Mavrias is good. We need him attacking down the right for that width. He suits the RWB role. We need a clever midfielder who can pick our good balls to either flanks when needed to. Fortounis and Pelkas can do well as LF and RF. They can drop deep and collect the ball and also get in behind. I prefer Pelkas getting in behind with his pace. 

On 6/5/2019 at 12:25 PM, Makynia said:

Dean97

Mavrias is good? Did you watch friendly vs Turkey? He didn't stop giving away the ball.

Yes I did, i was looking at the positive aspects of his game. His forward runs were good and if you remember Samaris had the ball and completely was too slow to pick him out at times and when he did he stuffed up the pass. I don’t remember Mavrias getting beaten that often. Most of the goals came from the left side and centre. Mavrias would excel in a 3-5-2. He does make mistakes but who doesn’t in the national team. 

• Like it 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:20 AM, Alphonse said:

If Zeca goes RB and Samaris is left to lead the middle we will be down 2-0 in the first 20 mins again. Samaris is getting a free pass, he has been horrible in the last few games for us. We are better off starting Mavrias at RB/W and putting Bouchalakis next to Zeca in the middle

How does Anastasiadis not see these things!!!

• Thanks 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic