Phantis Forums

Pao Summer 2019 Transfers And Pre-Season Talk

In the good ol' days, we had a discussion about what goes on before the next season starts, so let's give it a go once again.

Alafouzos paid all the club's obligations and PAO got the permit for next season. I think there will be many players who will leave, including several that their contracts aren't up but Dabizas said he'll ask them to leave on their own because they won't be playing for the club.

Unfortunately, the budget will remain very low, and no matter what many are saying, I believe the richer teams do much better. OK, you can't guarantee success with a big budget (especially if money is wasted in dubious players) but realistically the teams with the bigger budgets do win titles.

It's sad that PAO now aims to finish high in the standings, not to win anything, but to get rid of the UEFA euro ban. So for at least 2 more years the team won't be playing outside the country's borders.  Better players don't want to go to such teams that have no Euro presence.

Meanwhile, the league is in shambles.  Btw, what a disgrace it is to ask foreign refs to officiate domestic games, because Greeks can't be trusted....

Anyway, I hope the keep Bouzoukis, Hadjiyovannis, and Kourbelis.

4 hours ago, athinaios said:

Meanwhile, the league is in shambles.  Btw, what a disgrace it is to ask foreign refs to officiate domestic games, because Greeks can't be trusted....

It’s a real lowlight or the Greek mentality imo. Are they seeking solutions?

How did we have Greeks referring European games and now we call on foreign refs for derby’s. Is any extra training happening to the Greek refs? 

Ridiculous stuff, just how backwards we are going is killing me

PAO should continue to focus on developing their youngsters. Hopefully that will lead to domestic success and perhaps some big transfer fees.

In other news, Giannakpoulos has revived his Athens Alive project from what I hear? PAO need to get out of OAKA.

I agree on both points. OAKA is not a soccer stadium, and I hope DG realizes that. PAO needs its own home, a proper, modern one. I also agree with DG that all PAO should be under one roof. It'd be easier to sustain it as it'll always have something going on. Make it a destination for consumers and fans. Of course this means it'll have to operate like the other big sports venues, which in turn means oust the hooligans.

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not in Greece so I miss lots sports news, but what I've been reading, there's not much movement in transfers. I understand PAO can't bring in big names, but how about the several players who aren't in Donis plans for next season? Have they left?  I'm sure they could use that money for the club.

• Like it 1

Its a sad state of affairs where there is very little excitement during the summer transfer season.

In saying that, Dabizas is the best hope we have of securing a hidden gem of a signing. Kolovos is a good example of giving raw talent a shot at redemption, these are the signings we can aspire to now.

Also securing young talent such as Nunes and the Greek talent signed last year will give us an opportunity to hit the jackpot if they develop and earn a few million in transfer fees. That is right now the most chance we will have of financial rescue. Otherwise a washed up veteran will only cost money and give us minimal upside.

• Like it 2