Phantis Forums

PAOK In Europe 2019-2020

Blackhawk

Really? Our coefficient is 23.5 - I count nine teams that have a higher ranking than ours. We'll need to knock out one better-seeded team just to get to the play offs, so does what you say include any other upsets?

2 hours ago, pash said:

Really? Our coefficient is 23.5 - I count nine teams that have a higher ranking than ours. We'll need to knock out one better-seeded team just to get to the play offs, so does what you say include any other upsets?

Well, only if we draw Celtic, Kopenhagen or Dinamo Zagreb in Q3. As the draw of PO is before the first leg of Q3 and the system/presumption is that the club with the highest coefficient advances to the next round.

BATE and Astana are unseaded in PO. If we draw them and progress we are the unseaded again.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, and No. I would love nothing more than to beat Celtic but the other half wants to avoid this fixture at all costs. Celtic and Rangers are two horrible clubs and the equivalent of P.O.K. in Scotland so the less contact we have with them the better IMO. They would without doubt try and copy a lot of our songs and in the off chance they actually beat us.....? **shudder**. They have inflicted enough pain on me over the years.

Aacht, what am i saying...Bring it on!!! I'll fill up my apartment with a load of PAOK fans for a few nights and have a party!

• Like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

The clubs just above us with the coefficient got some nasty draws in Q1:

Ludogorets - Ferencvaros

Astana - Cluj

BATE - Piast (Polish champion that already has upset Legia Warsaw by winning the Polish League)

I'd like Cluj to eliminate Astana. Who wants to travel all the way to Kazakhstan in the middle of the summer. Maybe only Henrique who might like to visit old friends.

With all that in mind here is how things are shaping up:

In QR3 we will be unseeded and are looking to face one of the following teams:

Ajax (HOL)
FC Copenhagen  (DEN) or a team that eliminates them in QR2
Dinamo Zagreb  (CRO)  or a team that eliminates them in QR2
Celtic Glasgow (SCO)  if hey eliminate Sarajevo (BIH) in QR1 or a team that eliminates them in QR2
BATE Borisov  (BLR)  if they eliminate Piast Gliwice (POL) in QR1 or a team that eliminates them in QR2
Astana (KAZ)  if they eliminate CFR Cluj (ROM) in QR1 or a team that eliminates them in QR2

2 hours ago, Dutch Eagle said:

The clubs just above us with the coefficient got some nasty draws in Q1:

Ludogorets - Ferencvaros

Astana - Cluj

BATE - Piast (Polish champion that already has upset Legia Warsaw by winning the Polish League)

In the unlikely scenario where Ludogorets, Astana and BATE get eliminated in QR1 we will move into the seeded position for the QR3 draw. The problem is that all 3 have to be eliminated, which I don't see happening.

• 3 weeks later...

CL results after the 1st leg:

Ferencvaros - Ludogorets  2:1
BATE - Piast    1:1
Astana - CFR Cluj   1:0
Sarajevo - Celtic     1:3

In bold teams that we need to be eliminated (3 out of 4) in order for PAOK to be seeded in the draw and avoid Ajax. Can't see it happening.

Danish, Romanian, Czech and Bulgarian league started today, and it is only July 12th..... The Russians started too but they won't bother us.

Could be tricky if we draw a club from these countries as they will have played about 4 league games when we meet and we zilch and only friendlies.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:47 PM, Blackhawk said:

CL results after the 1st leg:

Ferencvaros - Ludogorets  2:1
BATE - Piast    1:1
Astana - CFR Cluj   1:0
Sarajevo - Celtic     1:3

In bold teams that we need to be eliminated (3 out of 4) in order for PAOK to be seeded in the draw and avoid Ajax. Can't see it happening.

Ludogorets has been eliminated

Cluj currently winning 3:1 (3:2 on aggregate) - if they hold out then Astana is eliminated

The BATE game is 1:1 right now, this is what is all relies on. Piast needs to score again and we'll be seeded.

Piast was winning most of the game 1:0 until the penalty they gave up in 79th minute. 

We came very close to to be seeded in Monday's draw.

Now the main thing is not to be drawn against Ajax and once we defeat the seeded opponent in QR3 we will inherit their ranking points for the playoff round and will be seeded in that round. 

So in Monday's draw for the QR3 we will face one of the following:

Ajax Amsterdam   (HOL) - 70.500
Celtic Glasgow    (SCO) -  31.000
FC Copenhagen  (DEN) -  31.000
Dinamo Zagreb  (CRO) - 29.500
BATE Borisov  (BLR) -  27.500
Apoel Nicosia  (CYP) -  25.500

The actual possible opponents are these if we assume that some of the favorites might not qualify:

Ajax Amsterdam   (HOL) - 70.500
winner  of Celtic Glasgow (SCO)- 31.000 / Kalju (EST)-6.000
winner of TNS (WAL)-6.000 / FC Copenhagen  (DEN)-31.000
winner of Saburtalo (GEO)-0.950 / Dinamo Zagreb  (CRO)-29.500
winner of BATE Borisov  (BLR)- 27.500 / Rosenborg (NOR)-11.500
winner of Sutveska  (MTG)-3.000 / Apoel Nicosia  (CYP) -  25.500

Basically the best draw for us would be Celtic, Copenhagen or Dinamo Zagreb in order to be seeded in the playoff round and avoid Ajax once again.

In the end it's better that we are not seeded. This way we have 83.33333% chance of avoiding Ajax in QR3. And if we get Celtic, Copenhagen or Dinamo and eliminate them there will be 100% chance of avoiding them in the playoff round.

If we were seeded and qualified than there would still be another 25% chance of playing Ajax.

We just need little luck in Monday's draw.