Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Summer 2019

pash

Good question - I've heard positive and negative. I think the fact that he's a free transfer and is on a relatively reasonable 2/year, 750k/year means this is relatively low risk for us. If he's 75% as good as he was in his prime, then we should get some good production out of him.

The guy played 4 years for REAL, has 100 matches in Champions League and Europa League combined.  He's coming in as a free transfer, with a relatively low salary (Imagine calling 750K a low salary for PAOK 10 years ago).  He's exactly the type of player that could come to Greece and excel.  He was a great player for REAL, but he was very injury prone, and then he was competing with MArcelo for a job....good luck with that.  It was all down hill after that.  He went to Sporting on loan, and then took a pay cut to go to Rio Ave.  All in all, I don't have any HUGE expectations, but will not be surprised if he finds a new confidence in Greece.  With Giannoulis on the squad, and Vieirinha on deck come December, I think it's fairly low risk high reward scenario.

Interesting article with some good info on the player: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2793704-real-madrid-transfer-news-fabio-coentrao-speaks-after-blancos-exit

Also here is a page with multiple articles on the player from the past year....including the time he pulled down Samaras shorts during a match for not helping him up off the ground:

https://en.as.com/tag/fabio_coentrao/a/

Edited by BostonThanatos
  • Like it 1

Apparently Coentrão and PAOK agreed to terms, but the player is returning to Portugal without signing the contract. It is reported that he will sign on Sunday and report to Holland on Monday. Why do I have a bad feeling that he will talk to other teams during the weekend using the PAOK offer to get a better deal.

3 hours ago, Athens4 said:

He isn't a serious player. Drinking has become a hobby.

According to who? You?  Do you have an article of proof, or are you like the Greek newspapers pulling anything out of your a$s and stating it as fact? Maybe you mistaken his with:

185542-302x350-bottle-of-cointreau.jpg

Edited by BostonThanatos
  • Haha 4

Eh, Benfica fans.  Like Oly fans commenting about PAOK players.  I've been a Sporting supporter for 10 years (I married into it).  There were complaints about him during his time in Sporting, regarding fitness, but it wasn't about drinking and partying.  He has more of a mental issue.  He's a bit of a basket case.  He is the kind of player who could end up being a cancer in the locker room, but having a Potuguese coach, and Vieirinha who are both familiar faces to him could be a difference maker.  The climate in our team is MUCH different that what he's been dealing with the last few years.  He was in a very toxic situation in Sporting, and basically took a huge pay cut last year to play at Rio Ave, but that was because he was expecting Sporting to call and sign him, which never happened, and the general feeling was that he REALLY wanted to stay there. I think his confidence has been shot down the last 3 years and that all just trickled down to him not training like he should.  

Edited by BostonThanatos

Sounds like the Turks are gonna move on Kitsiou. Good luck to him! Such potential wasted.

Haven't heard anything about Coentrao arriving in Thessaloniki. Hopefully he actually did, and Blackhawk was not right.

Coentrao requested a new deadline to respond by "due to family issues." It sounds like we're going to pass on him. Need to move quick at this point, even if that position isn't the most vital to shore up at this time.

Good age but we'll need to cut a Brazilian to get him. No dual citizenship.

Today's draw should hopefully inspire the team to pull the trigger on someone. We need this to go down asap. Only 15 days until we play; it is looking unlikely whoever comes will be able to participate.

Apparently Coentrao is talking to some Chinese team.  In the meantime PAOK told Coentrao that he can have his extra time, but it's quite possible that the position might be filled by that time.

Apparently Esiti is very close to sign with us. It appears he was our 2nd choice for defensive mid after Bradaric.