Phantis Forums

Euro 2020: Liechtenstein-Greece(23 March 2019, Rheinpark Stadion, Vaduz)

Omonoia9

36 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

I have never excused Mitroglou. He has never performed consistently for the national team. He is slow which makes it worse. It has to come down to our players abilities. Today they parked the bus but I thought created good enough movement to make things happen. We need to work on our finishing. We created a lot of chances.

Mitroglou is the only proven goal scorer on the NT with 17 goals in 65 appearances. His production has slowed down but look at the midfielders that have been tasked to give him the ball the last few years. Back when Karagounis and Kats were playing he was firing in the goals. He was huge for us vs Romania and a big reason Greece made the 2014 WCUP. Hopefully he will get it going during this campaign and hope he will be good to play in June.

• Like it 1

38 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Mitroglou is the only proven goal scorer on the NT with 17 goals in 65 appearances. His production has slowed down but look at the midfielders that have been tasked to give him the ball the last few years. Back when Karagounis and Kats were playing he was firing in the goals. He was huge for us vs Romania and a big reason Greece made the 2014 WCUP. Hopefully he will get it going during this campaign and hope he will be good to play in June.

Yeah you are right. Our players can’t akways put it on the platter for him. He needs to more than be a target man. He needs to create something out of himself for once. 

• Like it 1

25 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Ireland barely got a win vs Gibraltar. Scotland got torched at Kazakstan 3-0.

gilbratar yeah just as bad but kazakstan is 18 million population so a bit different.

45 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Liechtenstein  is one of the worst minnows so I wouldn't get carried away. Even Donis's goal I think most quality goalies would save that. their population is 40 000.

Rep of Ireland beat Gibraltar 1-0. Pretty sure Gibraltar is a worse team and Rep of Ireland are rated higher then us.. Even when we had Kara and company we’ve never beat Liechtenstein by more then 2 goals. Let’s be happy with the start and see if we can build on this with confidence..    Kazakhstan  beat Scotland 3-0. 

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

It would have been nice to see what Mitro could have done with Donis and Masouras on the wing together I think they cold have created space for Mitro. I think Kolouris deserves a shot he’s been on fire..  Let’s just hope Angelo saw enough of bakasetas to not start him. Bakakis for me was a disappointment his crosses are horrible.. I really like the calming effect of Siovis I think he can do the job with Socratis against Bosnia.. Let’s pray we at least get 1 point against Bosnia maybe get lucky and our “true wingers” can catch Bosnia on the counter!!

• Like it 2

A win is a win at least. I’ll take it. Even though there are probably more people on my street than all of Liechtenstein. As far as Mitroglou, 18 goals is 65 games as a striker is horrible. Considering half probably came during that 3 month hot stretch he had that even makes it worse. Go Koulouris!

7 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

Actually as JimmyP said above , 17 goals in 65 appearances proves how badly he's performed with the NT considering he's never been challenged as striker due to a lack of options. I doubt he'd be able to keep up with Donis and Masouras....Koulouris is on fire and warrants a go against Bosnia....if he doesn't perform then sure, bring on Mitroglou.

I agree 

Mitroglou could be better, but he has hit the back of the net more than any one we have. If he doesn’t pick it up when he comes back then I’m all for starting Donis or koulouris. As for Bakasetas he better not be in the line up and I think the coach will keep him on the bench after his performance today.

• Like it 1

yeah mitroglou is still our best striker he's not the problem. we need to drop bakasetas and put donis/masouaras on wings fortounis cam and should be okay zeca samaris midfield and bakakis (toro is better but injured cuz he's a good crosser) and staf if he comes back in form after injury

• Like it 1

Mitroglou hasn't played much at club level looks out of sorts. At his best, he is our best striker.

The team will be set up differently in Sarajevo and I can see us playing cautious and using counter attacks. Donis will be handy on the counter. A draw won't be a bad result.

Siovas and Kourbelis were both good today.

Possible starters for Bosnia match

? 4 2 3 1

• Vlachodimos
  • Bakakis-Soc-Siovas-Koutris
  • Kourbelis-Zeca
  • Donis-Samaris-Fortounis
  • Koulouris

Masouras sub

1 hour ago, kbxk508 said:

Mitroglou hasn't played much at club level looks out of sorts. At his best, he is our best striker.

The team will be set up differently in Sarajevo and I can see us playing cautious and using counter attacks. Donis will be handy on the counter. A draw won't be a bad result.

? 4 2 3 1

• Vlachodimos
  • Kourbelis-Zeca
  • Koulouris

Masouras sub

Has this squad been rumoured? Or is this what you want to see?

Also does anyone believe if Manolas or Sokratis would’ve done the same pass that Kourbelis assisted to Fortounis? I don’t think so.

Kourbelis and Siovas both deserve to start next game they were very under control at the back.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

2 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Also does anyone believe if Manolas or Sokratis would’ve done the same pass that Kourbelis assisted to Fortounis? I don’t think so.

Kourbelis and Siovas both deserve to start next game they were very under control at the back.

I'm guessing.

I think Anastasiadis got the tactics right with Liechtenstein, except for starting Bakasetas who has now gone 20 matches without a goal. Time to give Koulouris and Donis more chances in starting line up.

7 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

? 4 2 3 1

• Vlachodimos
  • Kourbelis-Zeca
  • Koulouris

Masouras sub

I can see him going with something like that. I think they will stick to a tight defensive game plan and just smother Dzeko and wait for an opportunity to attack and that's where Donis will give them problems. A draw would be great for us and a win is possible too especially with Sokratis in the back to shut them down. I was happy with Masouras effort yesterday and he created a lot of chances, he just needed to hit the target on a couple of shots. As I said just no Bakasetas in the lineup and on the pitch at any time please.

9 hours ago, La Mendel said:

The verdict is mostly against Bakasetas! Great, I agree lol ?

Yes even Agonasport said he was the worst player on the NT and he should not be considered for selection on the Ethniki in the future.

• Like it 1

12 hours ago, Dean97 said:

siovas and kourbelis (who's a cdm/cb) are both good ball playing cb's but sokratis and manolas are better defensively. sokratis and manolas usually just do conservative passes to the wings.

Looking around the other Euro qualifying groups like Group A which has England there with Czecks and Bulgaria, Kosovo would have been a great draw for us as I mentioned after the draw was held in Dublin. The Czecks looked like a total disaster losing 0-5 to England? Bulgaria are getting better but we would have been in the top 2. Also Group G would have been a dream group Poland, Austria, Israel, Skops and Latvia. Poland are a good side but nothing spectacular, Austria are in total shambles of late, and Israel are average we would have taken them. It would have been fun as well to take on the loser Skops and beat them. It would have been a lock to finish in top 2 in this table, most likely even first.

• Like it 2

8 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Looking around the other Euro qualifying groups like Group A which has England there with Czecks and Bulgaria, Kosovo would have been a great draw for us as I mentioned after the draw was held in Dublin. The Czecks looked like a total disaster losing 0-5 to England? Bulgaria are getting better but we would have been in the top 2. Also Group G would have been a dream group Poland, Austria, Israel, Skops and Latvia. Poland are a good side but nothing spectacular, Austria are in total shambles of late, and Israel are average we would have taken them. It would have been fun as well to take on the loser Skops and beat them. It would have been a lock to finish in top 2 in this table, most likely even first.

Agree but it also could have been a lot worse as we could have been paired in the Netherlands and Germany, Spain and Sweden, all in all we did get a group that at the very least should give us a chance to qualify. No excuses we need to finish 2nd in this group. 

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic