Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Winter 2019

Blackhawk

I heard the same. It was mentioned that we trying to sell/loan him and giving some incentives (splitting loan costs, etc. to make this happen.

Not sure if Mihojevic is the player we would need. I would go for someone more experienced. There is always Tosca, who Lucescu is planning on using as CB backup for the rest of the season.

Hmm...

50027954_1976851659100162_85849690557550

Also - I'm just as happy letting Mihojevic stay at OFI for the season, which will give him lots of good game time. I'm just more concerned that the team will go and buy another unnecessary player if Kacheridi goes. I'd take Chatziisaias back as well, but it doesn't seem Lucescu likes him.

I am with Lucescu concerning Chatziisaia. He had his chance to prove himself and didn't grab them. Playing at Atromitos is not the same as playing at PAOK. Much more pressure. 

Looks like the Polish striker signing is a done deal. At 3 mil it will be the highest price PAOK paid for a player in history.

Still have to pinch myself sometimes, wasn't long ago we were only signing players on free transfer or 800k-900k was considered a BAM signing. We really have come on leaps and bounds and how we are run as a football club and how we operate. Ivan you have truly put us on the map, thank you. 

@Blackhawk Jaba was rumoured to be 5 mil, you think it was less? Either way 3 mil is a decent chunk of change. We are confident in this kids resale value, but hey that's what business is. Not that I would know, I have $185 in my bank account but that's a story for another day

18 minutes ago, paokarag4 said:

Still have to pinch myself sometimes, wasn't long ago we were only signing players on free transfer or 800k-900k was considered a BAM signing. We really have come on leaps and bounds and how we are run as a football club and how we operate. Ivan you have truly put us on the map, thank you. 

@Blackhawk Jaba was rumoured to be 5 mil, you think it was less? Either way 3 mil is a decent chunk of change. We are confident in this kids resale value, but hey that's what business is. Not that I would know, I have $185 in my bank account but that's a story for another day

Yeah man.  Free transfers were the norm for a long long time.  And any wages over 100K were for the few best players in the team.  And next time I'm in Melbourne you're paying, because your bank balance is healthier than mine.

• Haha 1

Great to see actual progress in re-signing existing players.  Crespo, Paschalakis.  Biseswar hopefully soon.

Varela is a tricky one.  At 1.4 million that's getting pretty expensive.  Makes you wonder on the one hand if we can get better/younger for that.  On the other hand, he and Crespo have been so very solid at the back.

The midfield there is less of a rush.  Only Biseswar has to be sorted out asap.  Canas, Shakhov especially now that Misic is at the club for 1.5 years may have lost some bargaining power.  I would be happy to re-sign both Canas and Shakhov but I do believe they are very replaceable also.

If you pay attention to the hug between Savvidi and Varela after the Tripoli game you can tell they are not even close to agree on a renewal.

I agree with not offering more than 1,4m per year. It will be ridiculous to do so. 1,4m is great money for Varela. I hope he will come to his senses. This is his third year at the club. He should know better by now. Savvidis did a mistake in Khacheridi's transfer and we all know it. We cannot set our contracts based on that. Then Kitsiou should demand more than 1,4m per year since he is more valuable than Kchacheridi.

If there is some brain inside Varela's head, he would accept the contract and maybe negotiate the bonuses. End of story. He is 31 and we are giving him a three-year deal. Good chances to play to Champions League, in a healthy team that is paying well, challenges the title every year etc. If he thinks he can find a better offer, well, it's been 19 days already... I didn't hear any Champions League teams offering contracts to him and I highly doubt he will get any of those.

Gotta deal with our loanees as well. Too many players who are sitting on our books, wasted. The Xanthi kid hasn't been announced either, so I wonder what's going on there (though I'd rather he be loaned back to them to get at least a few games under his belt).

Henrique, btw, is heading to (or is already in) Dubai, where his team is practicing during their very long winter break. He should be back with us soon after, thank goodness.

I had also read that the Giannoulis return will be regardless of what happens with Warda (who is still holding out for a foreign move). With Giannoulis and Tosca there, hopefully it means Vieirinha will play more freely up front once in a while. Though other articles have said that Lucescu does not want to let El Kaddouri go this winter, which is realistically what would need to happen for Vieirinha to be played as a winger.

If I come to Austria can I stay in your homes? I will buy you beers as well.

1 minute ago, Yiankos said:

If there is some brain inside Varela's head, he would accept the contract and maybe negotiate the bonuses. End of story. He is 31 and we are giving him a three-year deal. Good chances to play to Champions League, in a healthy team that is paying well, challenges the title every year etc. If he thinks he can find a better offer, well, it's been 19 days already... I didn't hear any Champions League teams offering contracts to him and I highly doubt he will get any of those.

Do you think there's no truth to the earlier rumors of him having some club in the UK interested? I mean if he gets a real offer, he should just take it. It sounds to me like this is just posturing. Though to be honest, he has absolutely nothing to lose by waiting until the last second. I say offer him 1mm and if he doesn't take it, move on in the summer. As for motivation to play the rest of the year, I guarantee you there is a big bonus waiting for every player if we win the league, and another if we win the cup.

UK team interested in a player from the Greek league it's a rare thing by itself and yes, I don't believe it. BUT, even if it were true, it would be for a team like Cardiff, Fulham, Burnley, Huddersfield etc. I don't think a team from the first half of the standing will approach a player from us. AND ESPECIALLY a 31-YEAR OLD! Also, IMO there is no way they will be offering him more than we offer. And all these teams basically are fighting relegation. Which team is going to offer 2m to Varela when they don't know if they will be in Premier League or not next year? And even if all these somehow miraculously turn in favor of Varela and he gets a 2m offer from Cardiff, most likely he won't be a starter and after six months they will get rid of him. No Champions League, no Europa League, no titles, no money, no nothing.

I'm *really* interested to see how Giannoulis goes over the second half of the season.  I'm really hoping he's a solid rotation option for LB.

Yiankos, agree with your comments about Varela.  He's just fishing for what he can get.  I think as pash suggested (and I believe the club is offering) 1 million is more than reasonable.  To be fair, Varela has been excellent the last 12 months or so, but still, 1.4 million, I don't think so my man.

I would be more than happy to see Varela and Crespo as the main duo at CB for next season.  As for rotation and depth, that we will see.  Lots of options.

1 hour ago, BostonThanatos said:

Honestly, guys like Crespo and Canas are exactly the payers I was hoping we would be getting a major upgrade in.  Crespo is good sometimes, but when he's bad he's tragic.

Δεν μου άρεσαν ποτέ οι δυο τους. Παρόλο αυτά έχουν κάνει πολύ καλά παιχνίδια και μας έδωσαν πολλά αυτά τα 2,5 χρόνια. Η αλήθεια όμως είναι πως με τέτοιους παίκτες Τσάμπιονς Λιγκ δεν πας. Ελλάδα μπορεί να παίζεις, αλλά όχι για Ευρώπη.

As part of the deal to bring Giannoulis back, Atromitos wants Marios Tsaousis (who is another LB of ours, playing for the K19). I think that is a wonderful idea. Give him over for two seasons while you're at it!

-edit- some more:

At least one site says we want Michal Travnik, who is a current Czech international. I don't see what the point of that would be, as he plays the same position as, well, everyone else we have. https://www.transfermarkt.com/michal-travnik/profil/spieler/189640

InPAOK says we want this guy, who is a CB and current Iceland international (and who also would be very expensive): https://www.transfermarkt.com/sverrir-ingi-ingason/profil/spieler/137648 <-- I am more inclined to believe this link, as Kacheridi leaving should be a priority for us. It would be a very expensive purchase, though.

Edited by pash

Expensive? Maybe, maybe not, but I like the idea of bringing younger players of 24/25 with experience at World Cups instead of 30+ like we used to. The latter have no transfer value after 3 years. How many players left us without even a fee? Too much players and thus more expensive. Bring those kind of guys. They bring us to another level and then sell them to a club that pays 10 mil. Win-win-situation.

• Like it 1

Travnik has some seriously insane statistics.  10 goals and 10 assists!  I know it’s the Czech but still.  Anyway, I think he’d be there (a) as a replacement for El Khaddouri and (b) as a backup to Mauricio.

The Icelandic CB sounds very good also.  It would also SERIOUSLY reduce Varela’s bargaining power.

On El Khaddouri, I don’t understand what’s up with him.  There were never really any indications he wasn’t happy at the club.  Now all of a sudden he can’t wait to leave.  Or at least that’s the way the (reliable ha ha) media are making it out to be.  I’ll be fine with him leaving once we have a replacement.  Right now we do need him for rotation and he does often enough provide some spark in attack.  He’s also got that ability to dictate tempo but he’s small fry compared to Biseswar in that area.

Edited by Bananas