Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

12 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Stop calling Mitroglou lazy. Look at his important goals. Of course the problem of having a targetman is that he needs proper service. Fortounis can give it to him but when the whole defence has to focus on 2 players guess what, they re utterly outnumbered. His class is obvious from the fact that he keeps scoring even though he is always marked.
You could see at 2nd goal that Nobody gave a f*ck about Kolovos. They didn't even expect him to do that move he made to get in front of teammate (I think Koulouris) and defender and take the cross for himself. They didn't know his style of play. I don't rate Kolovos, even after that. Even though his header was the defitinion of "it was in from the moment it left his head" type of header. 

Mitroglou needs proper wingers who will run down the opposition and tire the enemy defenders. It's not a matter of laziness, but he always presses opposition when he is asked to.

I am honestly still waiting for that 3-5-2 on our full level. I think the coach is hoping for something like that when we dont have injuries.

Vlachodimos (terrible match for him in my opinion) 2nd goal is 80% his fault even tho the wall was probably just misscommunication, He could still save it he is better than that.

Siovas is a soldier. Good back up for our top 3.
Retsos Manolas and Stafylidis are missing from the defence. Koutris is fine offensively so 3-5-2 suits both of our Left Backs.

I don't like Bakakis. I think he is a player who produces up to 6 and can never get past it.
Sokratis is a leader and a realist. He sais we are s%$#! at this point and the team's efforts prove that we are working our way from the bottom and not the other way around.
Samaris Zeka Kourbelis seem the most decent midfield we ve had the last couple of years. I'd like to see Kourbelis try himself in a better team maybe get a more competitive mentality and confidence, as well as recognition.
Put Mitroglou and Fortounis up front and I think this is our best tam currently with Donis as a SS.

I think a 3-6-1 works great vs better opposition with wingerbacks on the wings. Or 4-4-1-1. But I believe versus teams like Liechtenstein and Armenia we totally need a 4-2-3-1. I would like to see the introduction of Lazaros Lamprou,Bouzoukis, Chatzigiovanis and Lhmnios in the men's side. Second match vs Liectehstein at home we could sort of experiment I guess.

So a 3-6-1 could be like 

Vlachodimos

Retsos - Sokratis -Manolas

Torosidis - Samaris - Zeka - Kourbelis - Stafylidis

Fortounis

Mitroglou

A 4-4-1-1 could be like
Vlachodimos

Toro - Sokratis - Manolas - Stafylidis

Zeka - Samaris Kourbelis - Donis/Stafylidis/Koutris

Fortounis

Mitroglou

And of course a 4-2-3-1 vs weaker opposition (probably needs testing before using - and my personal preference
Vlachodimos 

Toro - Sokratis - Manolas - Stafylidis

Samaris - Zeka 

Masouras/Lamprou - Fortounis - Donis

Mitroglou

I left Kourbe out of the midfield because he is more defensively minded than the others and well, this is more like a lineup vs weak states to secure scoring opportunities and maximum possible pressure against their weak defence.

Qualifiers are no time to experiment. Unless you’re out of course. 

• Like it 1

Mitroglou should still have a place on the team.  Maybe as super sub.   

Honestly from what I'm seeing from the improved movement of the team and service starting to get created (how many chances was put on the plate for Masouras he wasted, and others) I think Mitroglou won't need to run that much to be effective and can just do what he does which is finish a chance.  Hopefully he can get healthy and find some form he can play a role still during qualifying it's a long campaign.    

8 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Maybe we are not strong enough to be able to experiment against minnows (think of the Estonia home game).

I wouldn't describe Estonia as a minnow to be nitpicky. they're more on par with Cyprus. They have a few very quality players like Klavan who was an important player for Liverpool. 

Minnows to me are countries that even people who know geography don't know exist like Gilbratar, Faroe Islands, Leichenstein etc.

14 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

I wouldn't describe Estonia as a minnow to be nitpicky. they're more on par with Cyprus. They have a few very quality players like Klavan who was an important player for Liverpool. 

Minnows to me are countries that even people who know geography don't know exist like Gilbratar, Faroe Islands, Leichenstein etc.

Well, you answered the question. Faroe!! No experimenting during qualifying should be done. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HellasLEAF said:

Mitroglou should still have a place on the team.  Maybe as super sub.   

Honestly from what I'm seeing from the improved movement of the team and service starting to get created (how many chances was put on the plate for Masouras he wasted, and others) I think Mitroglou won't need to run that much to be effective and can just do what he does which is finish a chance.  Hopefully he can get healthy and find some form he can play a role still during qualifying it's a long campaign.    

The team played excellent attacking football vs Bosnia and they created numerous chances. Mitroglou would have potted a goal vs Liechenstein in the 2-0 win with all the chances that were wasted and maybe with the great service he might have scored against Bosnia. A few headers fell to Donis that he couldn't direct in. Also the great chance that Fortounis blasted over the bar I think Mitro puts that one away. He needs to get into better game shape but if the team gets him the ball in these danger areas he is usually clinical.

• Like it 2

What I’ve learnt is that Masouras is important to this team. When we had the ball we looked more aggressive in attack. He can finish it just didn’t go his way. Finishing is always a problem with the team. 

We could’ve beaten Bosnia, we had more chances at the end. If we were a bit smarter we could’ve won. Sokratis should’ve been in the box the last 10 minutes demanding for crosses to be put in. 

• Like it 1

Masouras is a good player with lots of talent for now. But there have been a lot of wingers who looked amazing for a short period of time so let's not run faster than we re supposed to. Remember Fetfatzidis.

For now Masouras seems the most on form winger alongside Lazaros Lamprou.

I expect Tachtsidis to make a comeback to the NT next year that his team will probably be at Serie A. I think that with proper wingers he will be deadly.

17 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

The team played excellent attacking football vs Bosnia and they created numerous chances. Mitroglou would have potted a goal vs Liechenstein in the 2-0 win with all the chances that were wasted and maybe with the great service he might have scored against Bosnia. A few headers fell to Donis that he couldn't direct in. Also the great chance that Fortounis blasted over the bar I think Mitro puts that one away. He needs to get into better game shape but if the team gets him the ball in these danger areas he is usually clinical.

Yes a few headers fell to Donis. But, would mitroglou have had the speed to be in that spot? 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Yes a few headers fell to Donis. But, would mitroglou have had the speed to be in that spot? 

They were right in front of goal, he would have and he would have buried the last one that I think Bouchalakis put in. It was some very nice lead up work on that one, deserved a goal 

• Like it 2

I believe Mitro is 31 so he not a young player by soccer standards.

Using him as a sub seems like a good idea. He would be called on in the last 20 minutes if the team is in need of a goal and the opposition is defending. Using him for a short period means that he is less prone to injury which has happened at least twice in recent games. He can use his size and not worry about coming back late in the game. He  would still go with the team to Mykonos after the games as well :thumbup:

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Elate said:

New to the forum,I hope the coach goes with Koulouris going into next months qualifiers.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you. I’m not so high on Koulouris but i see where your coming from. He should be given a proper chance to see what he can do but I can see better players for that position overall. Durmisaj can be a huge positive for us and with further development I see bigger things. Well just have to wait and see.

Edited by Dean97

As Kyriakos now ranks behind Retsos and perhaps Siovas, along with the big two others, Koulouris and Darmishaj would rank in front of Mykonos as a starting striker at least. They do more off the ball and have more agility. Hey re Elate, g'day maik!

Edited by ausgreek

koulouris 23 goals in 31 appearances... how many tap ins can he really have at atromitos. also scored against oly last weekend

cisse put up those kind of numbers and got called up for france. surely koulouris should get a 90 with this kind of form.

I agree Kolouris should get a shot especially with the numbers he's been putting up but lets not be so quick to throw Mitro out. The guy is a proven goal scorer and yes he doesn't offer anything else and needs the ball fed to him but he is still one of the guys that only needs a little room and can get a big goal for us. Now maybe he shouldn't be playing 90 minutes but id see like to see him coming off the bench or be used with a second striker to open up more room for him when needed. 

• Like it 1