Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

15 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I don't really care if Mantalos is injured but isn't it funny how before every qualifier or tournament our players seem to drop like flies??? This is starting to become comical.. Never fails

Just heard it on the radio. Your right this is getting comical, whos going to be out tomorrow??

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree, For me Socratis comments don't give me or who ever reads the article much optimism. He's pretty much saying we are not good enough and the Greek players don't care as much for the NT. That's  not what you want to here or read about from a so called leader. Also he should keep his comments about this being his last go around with the NT to himself as the team does not need anymore distractions around them. Also how are the young guys going to listen to him when they know he wont be here after this tournament..  The problem is I truly don't believe Socratis thinks they are good enough to advance and if that's his mentality and thinking then we honestly have no chance because that vibe will trickle down to the entire team. You would never hear Kara or any of those guys excepting defeat never in a million years. As far as retiring he should want to wear the NT jersey for as long as he can play the game and when he gets older he should want to be a veteran presence and a guy coming off the bench rather then a guy that says "I'm tired and this is my last tournament"

It depends how you look at it. I know it dosent sound good with what his saying but he his no non sense. He states it how it is. You can tell he I very frustrated as he has all the stress and pressure as a defender. We have many defenders but none are as good as Sokratis and Manolas and maybe Siovas. If you take out all of these guys the team will plunge down the drain even further. Our midfield is horrendous and are very limited. Fortounis is decent but not the full answer. Sokratis said it himself the players in the past were better than the players now. By him stepping down, he is being unselfish. That’s if we don’t make it. Maybe he could be the problem and we don’t even know it. He seems like he has a negative aura. That could be the way he is though and it dosent reflect well on others. Karagounis seemed like he gave motivation and inspiration. Sokratis seems to be pissed off at everyone and put blame to player while having a bad attitude. Instead of hyping up the team the way Karagounis did. Don’t get me wrong though Sokratis has saved this team many times with his abilities. He is also more of a leader than the whole team with the talking and demanding he does on the field. He is doing what I wished Katsouranis, Karagounis and even Tziolis should’ve done and that’s give another person an opportunity at the right time. He is saying why should I stay at age 33 or 34 and not give another asirping player a chance to prove his worth as my time is nearly over. Let’s not forget he is a defender not a midfielder. The defender has a lot of pressure because it’s his job to not concede and when you have a garbage midfield and weak fullbacks and also an attack that can score then there is a lot of stress and work to deal with. 

There is also the other attitude where you say no I will play for the team until I retire and push through until the end like Karagounis and Katsouranis did. But honestly how many of us (including myself) have been wanting them to retire just so the new younger and “talented” players play instead. Look at us now we haven’t made a tournament with “new” players in 4 years. I guess everyone is different. Sokratis has always showed heart and passion with the national team. Always.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

3 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I know he’s frustrated with our current state but I think if things turn around this campaign then I think he will change his tune.

I think so too. He loves Greece too much, he is just frustrated and is put under pressure. 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, georgelaz said:

I think he's letting the Arsenal thing get to his head. If he was on a team like Dortmund I don't think he would retire like that. That's stuff that English, French, etc. players do. Under dog teams like us the players play till they retire ie Karagounis taking us to knockouts beating Russia when he was 35.

Sokratis is very frustrated with the NT. The fans not showing support. The greek players with loser mentalities. It's just not fun for him anymore and he feels like he's putting water in a hole with a bucket. I hope he changes his mind but at the same time him publically saying that also is a bad attitude. Much like Messi doing that with Argentina. whereas Ronaldo never has thought of stepping down from Portugal. Ronaldo is always wanting to play for it all and takes responsibility. That's why for me I like Ronald much more then Messi.Ronaldo lifts everyone around him. Whereas Messi is passive aggressive and trys to get player he doesn't like away from the NT.

Dont forget also back when Karagounis was playing the national team were being successful. Who’s not to say that Karagounis wouldn’t feel frustrated if the team was going under. Same with Katsouranis. They always had a solid defence behind them and they were experienced and smart with how they played them selves. Our current group players can’t seem to handle the pressure and look lost out there. It’s up to them now to prove everyone wrong. Also look at it in Sokratis eyes he has played in the golden generation in the national team and has played for top sides like Milan, Bremen, Dortmund and now Arsenal. He plays with very talented footballer that know how to play. When he pays now for Greece he is fustrated as the midfielders and attackers in front of him can’t get the job done the team is always on the back foot defending and Sokratis is defending. Then when we concede he is like for F*** sakes. It’s been happening now for 4 years. Also against teams that we shouldn’t be losing too. He has a lot of pressure because he loves Greece with all his heart and want the best for Greece.

• Like it 2

2 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Dont forget also back when Karagounis was playing the national team were being successful. Who’s not to say that Karagounis wouldn’t feel frustrated if the team was going under. Same with Katsouranis. They always had a solid defence behind them and they were experienced and smart with how they played them selves. Our current group players can’t seem to handle the pressure and look lost out there. It’s up to them now to prove everyone wrong. Also look at it in Sokratis eyes he has played in the golden generation in the national team and has played for top sides like Milan, Bremen, Dortmund and now Arsenal. He plays with very talented footballer that know how to play. When he pays now for Greece he is fustrated as the midfielders and attackers in front of him can’t get the job done the team is always on the back foot defending and Sokratis is defending. Then when we concede he is like for F*** sakes. It’s been happening now for 4 years. Also against teams that we shouldn’t be losing too. He has a lot of pressure because he loves Greece with all his heart and want the best for Greece.

Good points. He is frustrated with the lack of results since the 2014 World Cup success. If they can turn things around in this campaign and the team qualifies for Euro 2020 I believe he will change his tune.

• Like it 1

Fantastic watch this, Sokratis on total football discussing everything from what went wrong post World cup 2014 to where the ethniki should be playing. Also much different listening to him say he'll retire from the ethniki post euro 2020, it doesn't seem all the so doom and gloom. I think if he sees we are a realistic chance of making the World cup in Qatar he may just hang on until then but that's a while off being an issue. Very good watch and Katsouranis provides some good insight into the post Mundial 14 s%$#! show. Worth the watch if you have the time. 

At 5.52 he begins discussing his beginnings and how he ended up at AEK. The ethniki chat comes a little later. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfplRt1mp28

• Thanks 2

This is turning out to be a disaster start for the NT.. 

injured and out

Socratis

Manolas

Toro

Retsos

Staf

Mantalos

Pelkas

Lazaros

This looks like it’s going to turn out to be a s%$#! show for the NT.. We never even can give ourselves a fair chance because we never have a full healthy line up.. These guys are made of glass ffs..

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

This is turning out to be a disaster start for the NT.. 

injured and out

Socratis

Manolas

Toro

Retsos

Staf

Mantalos

Pelkas

Lazaros

This looks like it’s going to turn out to be a s%$#! show for the NT.. We never even can give ourselves a fair chance because we never have a full healthy line up.. These guys are made of glass ffs..

What happened to Sokratis? He was on tv show did not say anything about injury?

4 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Fantastic watch this, Sokratis on total football discussing everything from what went wrong post World cup 2014 to where the ethniki should be playing. Also much different listening to him say he'll retire from the ethniki post euro 2020, it doesn't seem all the so doom and gloom. I think if he sees we are a realistic chance of making the World cup in Qatar he may just hang on until then but that's a while off being an issue. Very good watch and Katsouranis provides some good insight into the post Mundial 14 s%$#! show. Worth the watch if you have the time. 

At 5.52 he begins discussing his beginnings and how he ended up at AEK. The ethniki chat comes a little later. 

It was interesting he also spoke about the NT home venues and said Karaiskakis would be good to use and possibly move it around to other stadiums in Crete etc. He said he doesn't like playing in OAKA. Also Kats gives good insight on what has gone wrong with the NT after the 2014 World Cup.

That’s what they said on the radio and now a couple of websites are reporting it.. for sure he won’t play in the first game aginast letchenstein and for the Bosnia game he will see how he feels.

Edited by J1078

Ok just saw it on agonasport. He is out for the first game which they should be able to deal with. As long as he is ready for the Bosnia game! We have to go in there and take a result and hopefully a win and put the Bosnians in there place!

33 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

I’m thinking there’s more to this than just injuries. 

I had the same feeling when I saw this today, especially after seeing him on the total football show? He didn't mention any issue, I know he was out a few weeks back for Arsenal. It would be odd for him to miss even the first qualifier vs Liechenstein as he is the captain off the team and the team needs to get off to a great start for this Euro campaign.

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

If it’s teally an injury, then hopefully he recovers quickly. If it’s not, get rid of him and his attitude and put someone in who wants to play. 

yeah he didn't mention in the interview and was talking about taking liechesenstein on and how he's familiar with siovas as a partner. so might be a false rumour or a training injury imo.

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

such a good interview with sokratis katsouranis and demis.

kats was basically saying that new coach, (losing a great one in santos)  new atmosphere, 4 key players gone (salpingidis, karagounis, samaras, gekas) and there was a bit of arrogance because we did so well world cup 2014.

Sokratis was saying he had an idea to come back to greece to close his career but now is thinking more USA or China. He also was saying that he's optimistic about the squad because he feels there are a lot of new players that he can tell bleed for the Greek NT and that's what we need.

37 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

yeah he didn't mention in the interview and was talking about taking liechesenstein on and how he's familiar with siovas as a partner. so might be a false rumour or a training injury imo.

Maybe its a trick to screw with the Bosnians heads?

• Like it 1

13:40 he said the most stress / anxiety that he has in his life is for the Greek national team and he never has had that on the club level and he's tired. 

Edited by georgelaz

9 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

13:40 he said the most stress / anxiety that he has in his life is for the Greek national team and he never has had that on the club level and he's tired. 

Then don’t play. Simple. Put someone else in with a better attitude. I see this all over. Guys giving up because things don’t go their way. Sucking out cuz they’re not doing well. Oh well. Life’s not fair. Deal with it. No one blamed him when lukaku destroyed him in that thing goal. Look in the mirror. 

• Like it 1

9 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Its clear that he places the Ethniki as his first priority and I think he stated it in the interview. What I don’t get is why don’t the rest of the squad feel the same way. These players need discipline. They should have rules or something like if you lose you won’t play the next time around. There is no real urgency to win. It’s like they are complacent of being in the team. We should give players the player an ultimatum. 

Manolas out is a huge blow though. he immense presence in the backline. Siovas is quality but not the same.

Still wouldn't mind 3atb with wingbacks system 

Edited by georgelaz