Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

4 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

I’m Greek also file. But excuses are lame. Especially the injury excuse. And the players you mentioned? Lazaros? 1 goal in 117 games! Lmao. Pelkas? Hasn’t had a sniff. Papadopoulos? Lmao. He turns a doorknob and is injured for a year. He hasn’t been relevant since he was 20. Excuses are lame. Especially when you’re making them before the game. 

These are still players that, if healthy, would be on the NT. Simply stating facts, regardless if you consider them lame excuses. Bosnia is healthy. Look at their Wikipedia for quick reference. None of their important players that have been called up in the last 12 months are injured except GK Bergovic. Manolas injury is a serious loss and, like I stated above, the rest are all NT calibre players. 

1 hour ago, Argy said:

These are still players that, if healthy, would be on the NT. Simply stating facts, regardless if you consider them lame excuses. Bosnia is healthy. Look at their Wikipedia for quick reference. None of their important players that have been called up in the last 12 months are injured except GK Bergovic. Manolas injury is a serious loss and, like I stated above, the rest are all NT calibre players. 

Manolas injury is serious I agree. The others I mentioned are terrible. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Manolas injury is serious I agree. The others I mentioned are terrible. 

Retsos and Papadopoulos are good but frustratingly injury prone. Lazaros is still NT calibre, especially considering we start the likes of Mantalos and Bakasetas. Torosidis and Pelkas got consistent minutes during the Nations League campaign. Whichever way you put it, we are still missing a handful of NT players due to injury. 

All I can say this team needs its best players possible a squad with no injuries will only boost our chances in the campaign. Manolas is a serious blow for sure. I think Siovas can handle the task but he isn’t better than Manolas. The rest who are injured are also needed. Torosidis can still be good when he want to. Most of our defence is out. 

I don’t see it as an excuse but more of a detriment to our overall team. I hope the players who got called up shine for once and exceed expectation. 

The problem right now guys we only have 3 or 4 guys at best which we consider our best players and garunteed starters and the rest are interchangeable as they have not cut it and have not produced and finding the right pieces to fit in with our best players has been a huge challenge.. This is the reason our team looks lost and doesn’t mesh together. No one has been able to step up and take a starting spot.. as far as injuries goes we are always injured this is nothing new for us as we never have a full line up.. other then Manolas tho the rest are not garunteed starters besides Toro and he’s  getting up there as well..

Edited by J1078

33 minutes ago, J1078 said:

The problem right now guys we only have 3 or 4 guys at best which we consider our best players and garunteed starters and the rest are interchangeable as they have not cut it and have not produced and finding the right pieces to fit in with our best players has been a huge challenge.. This is the reason our team looks lost and doesn’t mesh together. No one has been able to step up and take a starting spot.. as far as injuries goes we are always injured this is nothing new for us as we never have a full line up.. other then Manolas tho the rest are not garunteed starters besides Toro and he’s  getting up there as well..

Your right. No has stepped up and taken the opportunities the last person that did that was Donis. Tsimikas had a good debut assisting Mitroglou. Manolas, Sokratis, Vlachodimos and Fortounis are our starters. The rest haven’t earned to start and are unreliable. Lamprou was not even called up to either u21 or senior team. Like what the F***?!?

The Lamprou not being called up is a mystery to me.. if you go down the list of call ups he deserve a call up over the majority of our guys.. Not sure what the thought process was behind not calling him up..

• Like it 3

In my opinion this group of players should have their last chance in this campaign. What I mean is that if these group players don’t get us to a major tournament then I think it’s time that the whole team gets a revamp. It’s been 4 years and we haven’t made a tournament. We’ve been losing to teams lower than us drawing against teams at the same level. It’s time for players like Samaris, Stafylidis, Pelkas, Mantalos, Bakasetas, Tachtsidis, Masouras, Bakakis and even Mitroglou to step it up for us if not then they can get the F*** out. I recommend if this campaign dosent go to plan we should clean out this team and put out best players who are under the age of 24 and start again from there. We can keep players like Fortounis, Sokratis, Manolas and Vlachodimos because they are good and reliable. The rest haven’t stepped it up and have failed to get us where we should be. I don’t want yo blame the coaches because we almost made the World Cup with a very bad coach. Skibbe F***ed us in the 1st leg against Croatia aswell. I believe there were only a few players who have helped this team from not being an utter disgrace and the players I mentioned like Manolas. Without those players this team would’ve fallen into even deeper s%$#!. Ranieri is a better coach than Skibbe in my opinion. I believe the players we have are decent and good enough to do well but the majority can’t raise there game for some reason. 

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

The current squad has 7 players who have played 1 or 0 games, 11 players who played 5 or less games and 15 who have played less then 10. The only experience on the team with more than 35 games is Soc, Mitroglou, Fortounis and Samaris. 

We need to find goal scorers other than Mitroglou.

• Like it 2

9 hours ago, Dean97 said:

In my opinion this group of players should have their last chance in this campaign. What I mean is that if these group players don’t get us to a major tournament then I think it’s time that the whole team gets a revamp. It’s been 4 years and we haven’t made a tournament. We’ve been losing to teams lower than us drawing against teams at the same level. It’s time for players like Samaris, Stafylidis, Pelkas, Mantalos, Bakasetas, Tachtsidis, Masouras, Bakakis and even Mitroglou to step it up for us if not then they can get the F*** out. I recommend if this campaign dosent go to plan we should clean out this team and put out best players who are under the age of 24 and start again from there. We can keep players like Fortounis, Sokratis, Manolas and Vlachodimos because they are good and reliable. The rest haven’t stepped it up and have failed to get us where we should be. I don’t want yo blame the coaches because we almost made the World Cup with a very bad coach. Skibbe F***ed us in the 1st leg against Croatia aswell. I believe there were only a few players who have helped this team from not being an utter disgrace and the players I mentioned like Manolas. Without those players this team would’ve fallen into even deeper s%$#!. Ranieri is a better coach than Skibbe in my opinion. I believe the players we have are decent and good enough to do well but the majority can’t raise there game for some reason. 

I agree that these guys have to get us a spot in Euro 2020 and should do so as on paper overall we are better than everyone in our group except Italy and we are not to far off from them as they are in transition. Therefore if they dont get it done time for whole sale changes at most positions.

As for Ranieri he is a crap coach as is Skibbe, Ranieri inherited the Ethniki coming off a successful World Cup and got completely embarrassed especially the 0-2 loss at home to N. Ireland and the humiliating loss to the Faroes. Skibbe for all his faults got us to the playoffs last World Cup cycle and the team got a draw in Brussels and played well in the home loss to Belgium. If we had Ranieri there I think we finish near the bottom of the table. The EPO should never have hired Ranieri at the time I knew it would be a bad hire but I never thought he would take us from a team that was penalty kicks away from a WCUP quarter finals appearance to the bottom of a cream puff draw in Euro qualification and since he stepped foot on to the touchline with the Greece the NT has been in a spiral downwards ever since

• Like it 1

What I was meant to say was that Ranieri has had a beer career coaching at clubs while Skibbe has either been an assistant or coached one club and was fired in one year. Ranieri has the EPL trophy with a team was expected to be relegated. He coached Chelsea and many others. That’s why I’m saying it’s up to the players to step up or step aside.

Even though I'm the first to criticize the decisions coaches make at some point we need to be realistic and say if this doesn't work out this time we need to be honest and lay the blame on our players and lack of talent or care. We have gone through now 5 coaches I believe. For me this will come down to our players and the lack of playing time or the lack of conditioning or in plain black and white that they just are not good enough. I also believe if we fail to make it to the Euros we need to clean house and rebuild this team with all younger players. Other then Manolas and Socratis are our other players good enough? I mean fortounis does s%$#! for the NT and I think he is overrated, We have no high caliber midfielder in all of Greece ffs. This to me will dictate for sure if the dark ages are back as its getting closer to becoming a reality.  Even though I will continue to bitch about coaching decisions that I don't agree with for me its now on the players no more blaming the coaches for not qualifying as I mentioned its time to look at our players. 

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

The Greek NT has depth but is gravely flawed. We are very skilled and deep at the CB position, but even there we are suffering with injuries. Goalkeeping is deep. The rest of the roster is deep but average. We have 8-10 guys that can produce the same result in the midfield, but, unfortunately, that result is pretty dull. No cohesiveness, consistent wishful long-balls, lazy, isolated striker, lack of creativity and game-breaking ability, are all things that plagued this team for years. 

• Like it 1

13 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

The current squad has 7 players who have played 1 or 0 games, 11 players who played 5 or less games and 15 who have played less then 10. The only experience on the team with more than 35 games is Soc, Mitroglou, Fortounis and Samaris. 

We need to find goal scorers other than Mitroglou.

For the life of me, what is so difficult for the coach to understand. Mitroglou should not be a shoe-in at the striker position. We cannot support a poacher because our attacking midfield is impotent. They cannot keep the ball on the ground, take on defenders or find holes to open up play. Mitroglou's lethargic style does no one any favours either. It's just awful tactics having this mix of players out there and hoping for production. It's like trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. 

• Like it 1

18 minutes ago, Argy said:

The Greek NT has depth but is gravely flawed. We are very skilled and deep at the CB position, but even there we are suffering with injuries. Goalkeeping is deep. The rest of the roster is deep but average. We have 8-10 guys that can produce the same result in the midfield, but, unfortunately, that result is pretty dull. No cohesiveness, consistent wishful long-balls, lazy, isolated striker, lack of creativity and game-breaking ability, are all things that plagued this team for years. 

We need a midfield tactician, Fortounis is hit or miss with the NT. Our other mids dont have the creativity to play attractive attacking football thus we see wasteful passes and using way to many long balls. 

This will be the last time Socratis wears the NT jersey. Also sounds like he doesn't really believe in the team and its players....

εν είναι στα άμεσα μελλοντικά σχέδιά του η επιστροφή στην Ελλάδα - ακόμη κι αν έτσι στεναχωρεί τους φίλους της πρώην του ομάδας, ΑΕΚ - υποστήριξε ο Σωκράτης Πασταθόπουλος.

O 30χρονος διεθνής κεντρικός αμυντικός της Άρσεναλ υποστήριξε στην εκπομπή "Total Football" του "Open TV" ότι τα ματς για το Euro 2020 ίσως να είναι και τα τελευταία του με την Εθνική. Παράλληλα τόνισε ότι ο ΠΑΟΚ δίκαια φθάνει στην κατάκτηση του τίτλου.

Για τα μελλοντικά του σχέδια: "Ακόμα έχουμε κάμποσα χρόνια. Πιστεύω 3-4 χρόνια ακόμα. Πριν από 3-4 χρόνια σκεφτόμουν να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα ένα χρόνο, να κλείσω την καριέρα μου; Τώρα θα πω ότι όχι, δεν θα γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα. Δεν σκέφτομαι να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα. Θα προτιμήσω να πάω στην Αμερική ή στην Κίνα ή κάπου αλλού, και για εμπειρία, από το να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα. Πολλοί ΑΕΚτσήδες θα στενοχωρηθούν, αλλά δεν σκέφτομαι να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα".

Για την Εθνική ομάδα: "Αν σου πω ότι δεν πιέζομαι καθόλου στην ομάδα μου, από θέμα παιχνιδιών, στρες, καθαρά ποδοσφαιρικό και μόλις έρχομαι στην Εθνική πιέζομαι γιατί πραγματικά έχω άγχος. Γιατί βλέπω κι εγώ ότι πραγματικά κάτι δεν πάει καλά. Και δεν είναι τωρινό, ότι ένα χρόνο υπάρχει αυτό το θέμα. Ναι, έχω μεγάλη πίεση, η μεγαλύτερη πίεση που έχω αυτή τη στιγμή στο ποδόσφαιρο είναι η Εθνική ομάδα.

Έχω αποφασίσει κάποια πράγματα. Πιστεύω ότι μπορεί να είναι ο τελευταίος χρόνος στην Εθνική. Αν δεν περάσουμε θα είναι ο τελευταίος χρόνος στην Εθνική. Το έχω πάρει απόφαση, είμαι συνειδητοποιημένος. Είμαι και κουρασμένος. Αλλά πια βρίσκομαι 14 χρόνια στην Εθνική. Ίσως και τα νέα παιδιά να χρειαστεί να αναλάβουν περισσότερο.

Όλα άλλαξαν και πολλά δεν πήγαν καλά. Το πρόβλημα κυρίως είναι ότι και δεν έχουμε πια το ποδοσφαιρικό επίπεδο που είχαμε παλιά, δεν έχουμε τους παίκτες, την ποιότητα. Και πιστεύω πως στην Ελλάδα ασχολούνται λιγότερο με την Εθνική, για το καλό της, σε σχέση με πριν 7,8-10 χρόνια. Με ό,τι συνεπάγεται. Μεγάλη ευθύνη έχει και η ΕΠΟ και η ελληνική νοοτροπία. Αλλά και η ΕΠΟ, γιατί όταν μία ομάδα δεν πάει καλά, φταίνε και οι παίκτες, και η διοίκηση. Έχουμε μπροστά μας πολλά παιχνίδια, δύσκολα.

Παιχνίδια που πρέπει να κερδίσουμε. Θα πάμε να διεκδικήσουμε το καλύτερο, δεν είμαστε φαβορί. Πιστεύω πως κι εμείς οι παίκτες πρέπει να καταλάβουμε πια ότι η Εθνική ομάδα δεν είναι στο επίπεδο που ήταν πριν από 5,7,8,10 χρόνια. Και σε κάθε παιχνίδι να μπαίνουμε πάνω απ' όλα για να το χαιρόμαστε και να κατορθώνουμε να παίρνουμε το καλύτερο".

Για τη μάχη του πρωταθλήματος: "Πιστεύω ότι ο ΠΑΟΚ δίκαια είναι πρώτος, δίκαια θα πάρει το πρωτάθλημα. Έχει την καλύτερη ομάδα, την πιο σταθερή. Έχει μία ομάδα που φαίνεται πεινασμένη σε σχέση με τις άλλες και μία ομάδα η οποία είναι δεμένη. Είναι 3-4 χρόνια μαζί, μικρές αλλαγές, πολύ καλή ομάδα".

Edited by J1078

16 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

We need a midfield tactician, Fortounis is hit or miss with the NT. Our other mids dont have the creativity to play attractive attacking football thus we see wasteful passes and using way to many long balls. 

The midfield is really a mess. We are OK at keeping possession, but, for the life of us, we cannot find a way into the opposition's box; not even versus the minnows. That's why we resolve to wishful long balls and crosses, hoping for the perfect drop or rebound. We need a guy that isn't afraid to take on defenders and to force them to back off a bit. That's the only way we will be able to create space and runs into the danger area. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

This will be the last time Socratis wears the NT jersey. Also sounds like he doesn't really believe in the team and its players....

εν είναι στα άμεσα μελλοντικά σχέδιά του η επιστροφή στην Ελλάδα - ακόμη κι αν έτσι στεναχωρεί τους φίλους της πρώην του ομάδας, ΑΕΚ - υποστήριξε ο Σωκράτης Πασταθόπουλος.

O 30χρονος διεθνής κεντρικός αμυντικός της Άρσεναλ υποστήριξε στην εκπομπή "Total Football" του "Open TV" ότι τα ματς για το Euro 2020 ίσως να είναι και τα τελευταία του με την Εθνική. Παράλληλα τόνισε ότι ο ΠΑΟΚ δίκαια φθάνει στην κατάκτηση του τίτλου.

Για τα μελλοντικά του σχέδια: "Ακόμα έχουμε κάμποσα χρόνια. Πιστεύω 3-4 χρόνια ακόμα. Πριν από 3-4 χρόνια σκεφτόμουν να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα ένα χρόνο, να κλείσω την καριέρα μου; Τώρα θα πω ότι όχι, δεν θα γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα. Δεν σκέφτομαι να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα. Θα προτιμήσω να πάω στην Αμερική ή στην Κίνα ή κάπου αλλού, και για εμπειρία, από το να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα. Πολλοί ΑΕΚτσήδες θα στενοχωρηθούν, αλλά δεν σκέφτομαι να γυρίσω στην Ελλάδα".

Για την Εθνική ομάδα: "Αν σου πω ότι δεν πιέζομαι καθόλου στην ομάδα μου, από θέμα παιχνιδιών, στρες, καθαρά ποδοσφαιρικό και μόλις έρχομαι στην Εθνική πιέζομαι γιατί πραγματικά έχω άγχος. Γιατί βλέπω κι εγώ ότι πραγματικά κάτι δεν πάει καλά. Και δεν είναι τωρινό, ότι ένα χρόνο υπάρχει αυτό το θέμα. Ναι, έχω μεγάλη πίεση, η μεγαλύτερη πίεση που έχω αυτή τη στιγμή στο ποδόσφαιρο είναι η Εθνική ομάδα.

Έχω αποφασίσει κάποια πράγματα. Πιστεύω ότι μπορεί να είναι ο τελευταίος χρόνος στην Εθνική. Αν δεν περάσουμε θα είναι ο τελευταίος χρόνος στην Εθνική. Το έχω πάρει απόφαση, είμαι συνειδητοποιημένος. Είμαι και κουρασμένος. Αλλά πια βρίσκομαι 14 χρόνια στην Εθνική. Ίσως και τα νέα παιδιά να χρειαστεί να αναλάβουν περισσότερο.

Όλα άλλαξαν και πολλά δεν πήγαν καλά. Το πρόβλημα κυρίως είναι ότι και δεν έχουμε πια το ποδοσφαιρικό επίπεδο που είχαμε παλιά, δεν έχουμε τους παίκτες, την ποιότητα. Και πιστεύω πως στην Ελλάδα ασχολούνται λιγότερο με την Εθνική, για το καλό της, σε σχέση με πριν 7,8-10 χρόνια. Με ό,τι συνεπάγεται. Μεγάλη ευθύνη έχει και η ΕΠΟ και η ελληνική νοοτροπία. Αλλά και η ΕΠΟ, γιατί όταν μία ομάδα δεν πάει καλά, φταίνε και οι παίκτες, και η διοίκηση. Έχουμε μπροστά μας πολλά παιχνίδια, δύσκολα.

Παιχνίδια που πρέπει να κερδίσουμε. Θα πάμε να διεκδικήσουμε το καλύτερο, δεν είμαστε φαβορί. Πιστεύω πως κι εμείς οι παίκτες πρέπει να καταλάβουμε πια ότι η Εθνική ομάδα δεν είναι στο επίπεδο που ήταν πριν από 5,7,8,10 χρόνια. Και σε κάθε παιχνίδι να μπαίνουμε πάνω απ' όλα για να το χαιρόμαστε και να κατορθώνουμε να παίρνουμε το καλύτερο".

Για τη μάχη του πρωταθλήματος: "Πιστεύω ότι ο ΠΑΟΚ δίκαια είναι πρώτος, δίκαια θα πάρει το πρωτάθλημα. Έχει την καλύτερη ομάδα, την πιο σταθερή. Έχει μία ομάδα που φαίνεται πεινασμένη σε σχέση με τις άλλες και μία ομάδα η οποία είναι δεμένη. Είναι 3-4 χρόνια μαζί, μικρές αλλαγές, πολύ καλή ομάδα".

Bittersweet from our captain. The last kick at the can for a generational Greek talent. Looking forward to seeing him with the armband and hopefully lead us to the EURO. 

• Like it 4

44 minutes ago, Argy said:

Bittersweet from our captain. The last kick at the can for a generational Greek talent. Looking forward to seeing him with the armband and hopefully lead us to the EURO. 

I think he's letting the Arsenal thing get to his head. If he was on a team like Dortmund I don't think he would retire like that. That's stuff that English, French, etc. players do. Under dog teams like us the players play till they retire ie Karagounis taking us to knockouts beating Russia when he was 35.

Sokratis is very frustrated with the NT. The fans not showing support. The greek players with loser mentalities. It's just not fun for him anymore and he feels like he's putting water in a hole with a bucket. I hope he changes his mind but at the same time him publically saying that also is a bad attitude. Much like Messi doing that with Argentina. whereas Ronaldo never has thought of stepping down from Portugal. Ronaldo is always wanting to play for it all and takes responsibility. That's why for me I like Ronald much more then Messi.Ronaldo lifts everyone around him. Whereas Messi is passive aggressive and trys to get player he doesn't like away from the NT.

• Like it 1

I agree, For me Socratis comments don't give me or who ever reads the article much optimism. He's pretty much saying we are not good enough and the Greek players don't care as much for the NT. That's  not what you want to here or read about from a so called leader. Also he should keep his comments about this being his last go around with the NT to himself as the team does not need anymore distractions around them. Also how are the young guys going to listen to him when they know he wont be here after this tournament..  The problem is I truly don't believe Socratis thinks they are good enough to advance and if that's his mentality and thinking then we honestly have no chance because that vibe will trickle down to the entire team. You would never hear Kara or any of those guys excepting defeat never in a million years. As far as retiring he should want to wear the NT jersey for as long as he can play the game and when he gets older he should want to be a veteran presence and a guy coming off the bench rather then a guy that says "I'm tired and this is my last tournament"

• Like it 3

4 hours ago, J1078 said:

Oh God I hope he stays on longer with the Ethniki at least until the 2022 World Cup.

• Like it 1

27 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

I think he's letting the Arsenal thing get to his head. If he was on a team like Dortmund I don't think he would retire like that. That's stuff that English, French, etc. players do. Under dog teams like us the players play till they retire ie Karagounis taking us to knockouts beating Russia when he was 35.

Sokratis is very frustrated with the NT. The fans not showing support. The greek players with loser mentalities. It's just not fun for him anymore and he feels like he's putting water in a hole with a bucket. I hope he changes his mind but at the same time him publically saying that also is a bad attitude. Much like Messi doing that with Argentina. whereas Ronaldo never has thought of stepping down from Portugal. Ronaldo is always wanting to play for it all and takes responsibility. That's why for me I like Ronald much more then Messi.Ronaldo lifts everyone around him. Whereas Messi is passive aggressive and trys to get player he doesn't like away from the NT.

I know he’s frustrated with our current state but I think if things turn around this campaign then I think he will change his tune.

I agree with you George on Messi, he is a total prima donna and has retired what two times now from Argentina? He didn’t do anything at the World Cup with a stacked team and they were lucky to get out of the group phase. Also he told Sampoli to keep Icardi off the team so he could have all of the spotlight. Ronaldo always shows up for Portugal and and when he went off injured in the Euro 2016 final vs France he was willing his team and coaching them up from the touch line. Even Maradona says he is the better player of the two.

• Like it 1