Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

This is an absolute joke..... No team wants the Ethniki to play in their stadium. No the people in Crete are refusing to let the team play there... This national team is a mess.

https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/larissa-eager-to-host-ethniki-omada

Unbelievable I was pissed when I read that.. WTF is going on there these club teams and there fans are getting on my nerves. 

Larissa will let them play there but it may not get approved by UEFA as the airport is not close enough.

I think if they can't play in Crete they should play the matches in Athens. 

Team has enough problems to deal with on the pitch recently, don't need these silly clubs trying to keep them out!! 

• Like it 1

Hello. I wonder will it be one more ugly and intense game between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Greece.

Here are the players called for the Bosnian national team:

2vcfj2e.jpg

And here is a possible lineup

2wgc7jt.jpg

2 hours ago, Soprano76 said:

I won't be surprised if Bosnia knocks the doors off of Greece. 

Like they did last time? Ela re, Belgium couldn't beat us easily (and we took a draw in Belgium) but they pounded Bosnia 4-0 and beat them again with there B side in Zenica. We will get a result there!

6 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

Like they did last time? Ela re, Belgium couldn't beat us easily (and we took a draw in Belgium) but they pounded Bosnia 4-0 and beat them again with there B side in Zenica. We will get a result there!

Greece are in terrible form with bad players. They have struggled to put more than one goal past teams like Estonia for a few years now. Players are barely doing anything for their clubs... Mitroglou is washed, Donis is a bench player on a relegation level Bundesliga side, etc. We may have tied them last game in Bosnia but the time before that in WC 2014 qualifying Greece was pummeled. 

I won't expect much from the Ethniki, either now or in the future. 2004-2014 was anomaly.

• Like it 1

3 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

Greece are in terrible form with bad players. They have struggled to put more than one goal past teams like Estonia for a few years now. Players are barely doing anything for their clubs... Mitroglou is washed, Donis is a bench player on a relegation level Bundesliga side, etc. We may have tied them last game in Bosnia but the time before that in WC 2014 qualifying Greece was pummeled. 

I won't expect much from the Ethniki, either now or in the future. 2004-2014 was anomaly.

The Greece team of 2004 was a great collection of footballers from Nikopolidis in nets, out to the backs with Dellas, Kapsis and Seitaridis. Then you have a solid midfield comprised of Karagounis, Zagorakis, Basinas and Katsouranis. Also the Greek "Roberto Carlos" Tsartas who had to come on mainly as a sub and delivered a beautiful ball switched over from across the field to Charisteas for a goal vs heavyweights Spain. He also came on and delivered the corner on the ET winner of the head of Dellas vs the Czechs. Upfront we had the legend Angelos Charisteas enough said we all know what he did!

Bosnia I doubt will ever win a major championship let alone get to a semi final of one....

The only players who are doing well are Sokratis and Manolas. That’s the truth. They play week in and week out in the best leagues in the world. They are CBs and we rely on them every nt game. Siovas is another. The others are either washed up, very average, very injury prone and still young. 

Fortounis is good but until tested abroad we can’t really comment on how good he really is. I want to have faith in this team but when reality speaks it speaks. Also it dosent help when we don’t call up our actual  best players who are inform. Lamprou should have been chosen ahead of Bakasetas.

Bakasetas is heading in Tziolis and Tzavellas territory and should be. 

Edited by Dean97

37 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

actually besides Manolas all of our starting 11 is in form and we have Siovas to patch it up who's in form. So slightly optimistic 

Manolas is a huge key to the NT. Siovas can come in and help the backline for sure, what we need is to get the ball moving from the midfield to Mitroglou or Donis and put the pressure on the Bosnian defense which has its issues and can be exploited.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, GreeceBosnia said:

Hello. I wonder will it be one more ugly and intense game between Bosnia and Herzegovina and Greece.

Here are the players called for the Bosnian national team:

2vcfj2e.jpg

And here is a possible lineup

2wgc7jt.jpg

Thanks for the rundown. Looks like Bosnia is fortunate enough to come into this tie nice and healthy. Greece, on the other hand, is missing their second best player in Kostas Manolas, and a number of other talented players than would have been considered for the starting XI, like Retsos, Papadopoulos, Torosidis, Stafylidis, Lazaros and Pelkas. 

9 hours ago, georgelaz said:

actually besides Manolas all of our starting 11 is in form and we have Siovas to patch it up who's in form. So slightly optimistic 

I don't care how in form players like Bakasetas and Mantalos are, they cannot raise their game to European class. When was the last time they stood out for the National team? Not even vs the minnows...I have no faith in those two players; they just dont have it in them. 

Player I have unalterable faith in: Sokratis (Manolas as well but he is injured)

Players that have the ability to elevate their game and hope to see all of them in the starting XI vs Bosnia: Fortounis, Siovas, Vlachodimos, Samaris, Donis 

Zeca will run and work hard, fine. Koutris has ability. Hope to see him play.

Mitroglou if he gets service, and that's a big IF, can make a difference, but I've to written him off lately because of his laziness and the fact his teammates cannot get him the ball in the box. I would much rather give Koulouris the start. 

Some of the players from the Greek league like Masouras, Bakakis, Siopis, Bouchalakis, Kourbelis, haven't shown much, but open to seeing more of them.

Two cypriot leaguers, Kolovos and Mavrias, had promise once upon a time, but can't expect much coming from that league. They were lazy call-ups by Athanasiadis IMO. Hope they prove me wrong, but I don't think they will see the pitch. We have in-form players in more competitive leagues around Europe that were unfortunately overlooked.  

Valerianos and Risvanis, that's what you get when 5 NT calibre defenders are injured. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Argy said:

I don't care how in form players like Bakasetas and Mantalos are, they cannot raise their game to European class. When was the last time they stood out for the National team? Not even vs the minnows...I have no faith in those two players; they just dont have it in them. 

Player I have unalterable faith in: Sokratis (Manolas as well but he is injured)

Players that have the ability to elevate their game and hope to see all of them in the starting XI vs Bosnia: Fortounis, Siovas, Vlachodimos, Samaris, Donis 

Mitroglou if he gets service, and that's a big IF, can make a difference, but I've to written him off lately because of his laziness and the fact his teammates cannot get him the ball in the box. I would much rather give Koulouris the start. 

Some of the players from the Greek league like Masouras, Bakakis, Siopis, Bouchalakis, Kourbelis, haven't shown much, but open to seeing more of them.

Two cypriot leaguers, Kolovos and Mavrias, had promise once upon a time, but can't expect much coming from that league. They were lazy call-ups by Athanasiadis IMO. Hope they prove me wrong, but I don't think they will see the pitch. We have in-form players in more competitive leagues around Europe that were unfortunately overlooked.  

Valerianos and Risvanis, that's what you get when 5 NT calibre defenders are injured. 

I agree with you about Mantalos and Bakasetas. They can’t raise their game. Mantalos hasn’t played a good game since maybe Cyprus in that 2-0 win. Bakasetas never had a good game. Internal politics seems to be the logical answer with Bakasetas. 

I don’t believe they were lazy call ups. The thing I don’t understand is why Lamprou didn’t get called up. It think Anastasiadis is thinking outside the box. Mavropanos and Retsos are both not playing and injured but when are in form are our 3rd and 4th CBs. 

I think Valerianos offers more than Lykogiannis. I think that was a good pick up to get Valerianos in the team. Risvanis is not good enough and I agree with you there. 

Bakasetas and Mantolas better not see 5 minutes of playing time, These guys don't work for the NT, they don't even work for AEK. If we are going to change things up then we need to start fresh with new blood. Lets be honest our chances are slim at qualifying but lets hope we can see a competitive team in every game. We need to see what Masouras and Donis can do on the wing. Mitro as much as he pisses me off and looks lazy as hell can change the game with one touch that's why he is important to start. Samaris needs to start as he seems to be getting playing time and progressing. I think Zeca needs to start for his hustle. part of me feels like we will be a disaster and part of me feels like there is a chance we will figure it out... So confused... lol... Right now I believe Italy, Bosnia and Finland have a better chance then us to qualify.. lets see what happens as we are a week away...

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, Argy said:

if you look at my starting 11 it didn't include mantalos or baka

all these players are in form and good enough. Mantalos is really good if he plays as CAM or CM. Off the bench for Fortounis if Fortounis gets gassed or Pelkas. Torosidis also good off the bench for 60 mins. So 2 nice substitution options there. Koulouris can come on for Mitro too to confuse the oppositions defense with a different styled striker.

mitroglou
donis fortounis masouras
     zeca samaris
koutris siovas sokratis bakakis
        odysseas

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

if you look at my starting 11 it didn't include mantalos or baka

all these players are in form and good enough. Mantalos is really good if he plays as CAM or CM. Off the bench for Fortounis if Fortounis gets gassed or Pelkas. Torosidis also good off the bench for 60 mins. So 2 nice substitution options there. Koulouris can come on for Mitro too to confuse the oppositions defense with a different styled striker.

mitroglou
donis fortounis masouras
     zeca samaris
koutris siovas sokratis bakakis
        odysseas

Wholeheartedly agree with your suggested XI, but you mentioned Torosidis and Pelkas as subs, however they have not been called up due to injury. 

9 hours ago, Argy said:

Thanks for the rundown. Looks like Bosnia is fortunate enough to come into this tie nice and healthy. Greece, on the other hand, is missing their second best player in Kostas Manolas, and a number of other talented players than would have been considered for the starting XI, like Retsos, Papadopoulos, Torosidis, Stafylidis, Lazaros and Pelkas. 

I’m Greek also file. But excuses are lame. Especially the injury excuse. And the players you mentioned? Lazaros? 1 goal in 117 games! Lmao. Pelkas? Hasn’t had a sniff. Papadopoulos? Lmao. He turns a doorknob and is injured for a year. He hasn’t been relevant since he was 20. Excuses are lame. Especially when you’re making them before the game. 

18 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Manolas is a huge key to the NT. Siovas can come in and help the backline for sure, what we need is to get the ball moving from the midfield to Mitroglou or Donis and put the pressure on the Bosnian defense which has its issues and can be exploited.

The best cure for a team that can’t score is to play against a weak defence. The best cure for a team with a weak defence is to play a team with an anemic attack. Both got their wishes. It’s not like we’ve scored a lot against Bosnia either. Or anyone for that matter. 

This qualifying campaign is a marathon not a sprint. 10 games. Although the game in Bosnia is important it doesn’t make or break the campaign. They need to take it one game at a time. Don’t overlook anyone. Remember Estonia and Finland and Faroe for that matter. Do not look forward. Concentrate on the task at hand. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

This qualifying campaign is a marathon not a sprint. 10 games. Although the game in Bosnia is important it doesn’t make or break the campaign. They need to take it one game at a time. Don’t overlook anyone. Remember Estonia and Finland and Faroe for that matter. Do not look forward. Concentrate on the task at hand. 

I agree that you can’t overlook anyone and you need to take each team serious but In such a short qualifier this is not a “marathon” and one loss can make or break your tournament.. remember it’s a tournament not a season.. If we lose to Bosnia that can very well determine our  fate.. You have no time to slip up in these short tournaments that’s why getting off to a strong start can make all the difference in the world..

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree that you can’t overlook anyone and you need to take each team serious but In such a short qualifier this is not a “marathon” and one loss can make or break your tournament.. remember it’s a tournament not a season.. If we lose to Bosnia that can very well determine our  fate.. You have no time to slip up in these short tournaments that’s why getting off to a strong start can make all the difference in the world..

What I was trying to say was a lot of unexpected things will happen. Points will be dropped against teams you’re not expecting to drop points to. And points will be gained against favourites also. Last campaign Greece tied Bosnia twice. Drew in Belgium and Bosnia lost to Cyprus. Never look ahead. 

• Like it 1

Even on paper, Greece should get second place and an automatic qualification to EURO 2020. But, this team always find ways to make it tough on themselves, struggling to get positive results from the likes of Bosnia, Finland, Armenia, and Lichtenstein. I fear that Greece will finish 4th in the group and miss out. ?

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

The best cure for a team that can’t score is to play against a weak defence. The best cure for a team with a weak defence is to play a team with an anemic attack. Both got their wishes. It’s not like we’ve scored a lot against Bosnia either. Or anyone for that matter. 

If Mitroglou gets the service he will make Bosnia pay! Greece get that first goal and then they will lock it down from there.