Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

7 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

Lol we can't top a group consisting of Finland , Hungary and Estonia but now we will finish 2nd in this group. ???

We can dream. But I think it's time to wake up. Do you really think we can beat Italy? Let alone Bosnia and Finland? even Armenia will be tough away. Top teams struggle there. 

We will be lucky to finish 3rd but with the team we have I think 4th is where we will end up. Qualifying starts in less than 3 months unless Greece has naturalized a group of Brazilians we ain't qualifying lol

???

Will be fine in this group, Greece rise to the occasion and will start are run of qualifying for major tournaments again. Italy are favorites in this group but they are beatable ATM its not like we got France, Portugal or Spain from Pot1. Bosnia aside from Dzeko and Pjanic dont scare me never have, especially with the way they defend as you saw first hand vs Belgium. Also Bosnia fans even though we are not playing up to our standard did not want to draw Greece.

My take on this draw: We would have drawn a similar calibre group if we came in through Pot 2 instead of Pot 4. 

All very interesting matchups:

Can't wait for Italy-Greece matches for obvious reasons. Greece at their best can get a result vs the Italians. 

We keep drawing Bosnia and have developed somewhat of a rivalry with them throughout the years. They are good, but very beatable. 

Finland are playing well as of late, but, as we showed a couple of weeks ago, we are the better side. They are overacheaving and are a Pot 4 team at their core. 

I don't think Armenia will be walk in the park, especially with Greece's habit of playing down to their opponents. This isn't a strong side, we should win both, but they sometimes come to play and Mhkitaryan is pretty good.  

Lietchenstein should be a breeze if we have any ambition. 

All in all, could have drawn a more difficult group and did not really suffer the full brunt of coming in through Pot 4. 

• Like it 2

7 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

There’s always a first. I won’t get my hopes up, but there’s always a first time for everything. 

Yes but, and this may make no sense, we are not really a pot 4 team. Currently yes, but Greece should never be in pot 4. We are terrible right now, in a slump and why we find ourselves here. 

• Like it 1

25 minutes ago, Limnos77 said:

Yes but, and this may make no sense, we are not really a pot 4 team. Currently yes, but Greece should never be in pot 4. We are terrible right now, in a slump and why we find ourselves here. 

It's ok because Finland is not really a Pot 3 team, and Bosnia is arguably not a Pot 2 team. We did not feel the brunt of coming in through Pot 4. 

Here is Greece's schedule

March 23, Liechtenstein - Greece

March 26, Bosnia - Greece

June 8, Greece - Italy

June 11, Greece - Armenia

September 5, Finland - Greece

September 8, Greece - Liechtenstein

October 12, Italy - Greece

October 15, Greece - Bosnia

November 15, Armenia - Greece

November 18, Greece - Finland

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, Argy said:

My take on this draw: We would have drawn a similar calibre group if we came in through Pot 2 instead of Pot 4. 

All very interesting matchups:

Can't wait for Italy-Greece matches for obvious reasons. Greece at their best can get a result vs the Italians. 

We keep drawing Bosnia and have developed somewhat of a rivalry with them throughout the years. They are good, but very beatable. 

Finland are playing well as of late, but, as we showed a couple of weeks ago, we are the better side. They are overacheaving and are a Pot 4 team at their core. 

I don't think Armenia will be walk in the park, especially with Greece's habit of playing down to their opponents. This isn't a strong side, we should win both, but they sometimes come to play and Mhkitaryan is pretty good.  

Lietchenstein should be a breeze if we have any ambition. 

All in all, could have drawn a more difficult group and did not really suffer the full brunt of coming in through Pot 4. 

Good analysis. Coming in Pot 4 turned out to be a blessing thank God. Look at the draw Serbia, Scotland and Ireland got by going up to pot 3 much more difficult than ours.

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Here is Greece's schedule

March 23, Liechtenstein - Greece

March 26, Bosnia - Greece

June 8, Greece - Italy

June 11, Greece - Armenia

September 5, Finland - Greece

September 8, Greece - Liechtenstein

October 12, Italy - Greece

October 15, Greece - Bosnia

November 15, Armenia - Greece

November 18, Greece - Finland

If they don’t win the first game by at least 2 0, then forget it. They won’t score against anyone. 

I have to agree with @Argy the group we drew was almost like us being in pot 3 and this group is definitely up for grabs.. Italy are not at their best in their current state. Bosnia are in good forum right now. If Greece figure out their s%$#! in the next few months they can come out of this group... We could have been placed I a hell of a tougher group so we are very fortunate being in a group like this especially coming out of pot 4.  Goal differential may come to play in this group and if that's the case Bosnia have the clear advantage and Italy have a hard time scoring.  If we are at our best and I truly mean IF then we can come out of this group.. If we can be healthy for once that will go along way for us.

Edited by J1078

Gotta start of with a convincing win vs Liechentstein and then pick up a draw at least in Bosnia.

The KEY is to have our players injury free this campaign we need Donis to be healthy as he missed the Nations league, he could be a game changer for us up front were we need goals.

• Like it 1

The 'Italics' will park the bus and the Alfa Romeos. The Pirates will park their wog-chariots and the ball won't get past the halfway. We play 5 4 1, in a 4 2 3 1 formation, unless we change to 4 3 3. It won't happen.

Just saw on agona sports last time Greece played Italy was a friendly in 2008 in Athens game ended 1-1 with Gekas scoring. I had forgotten about that match. Our last time meeting Italy in competitive match was in 1982 world cup qualifiers. With Italy winning in Greece 0-2 and a 1-1 draw in Italy. 

• Like it 1

This time around I'm just going to watch the qualifiers without any hope of qualifying. Like it was pre 2004. Last 14 yrs has been a rollar coaster ride.  It will make life easier. Lol

Italy will be first. No way they will screw up this one like they did 2018. After what I saw during the nations league no way we can beat Bosnia or Finland to 2nd place. Even Armenia away will give us trouble.  Litechenstein is the only team we will beat twice. 

Here is the Kick in the teeth. If Finland finish 2nd and Qualify. Their playoff spot goes to Hungary. We couldn't even finish 2nd in that group for the safety blanket. How can we qualify from this??

• Like it 1

Armenia are trick they have tied Portugal, Beat Poland and beat Slovakia 4-0. They are very beatable but they can put up a fight.. Bosnia are going to be very difficult they are in good form and I can see them even topping this group.. Its going to be hard to see Italy not qualifying.. It also concerns me that we may drop points to Armenia do to our lack of goal scoring. If we don't get 12 points from Armenia and Liechtenstein we will have no shot at qualifying.. It kind of sucks that we are playing Bosnia on the road our second game as that will be crucial and if we want a chance to qualify we cant lose that game..  

I've said this before and I will say it again. Greece play better against better teams as there is no need to play possession game and break down defense which we are not very good at currently. Since there is only one big name in the group we need to find an answer to this problem fast.. 

Edited by jason

If Greece are ready and have no injury issues then we should get 6 points from Liechenstein and Armenia most likely by 1-0 score lines but will take the wins. Finland I believe will pose some trouble if we can beat them in Finland that will be key as Greece always struggle there. Bosnia wanted no part of us, with the rivalry that has developed they would have preferred any other pot 4 side.Last campaign they got a draw in Athens with the OG of Pjanic free kick but Greece came back in injury time to take a point with Tzavellas wonder goal. In Bosnia Greece had the best chances to take all 3 points but Mantalos huge miss cost us there. Defensively the Bosnians can be exploited, I still see us getting a result in Bosnia we just have to wait and grind them down and take our chance. Italy will be hungry to rebound from missing the World Cup, but they dont boast a formidable lineup as they always use to. Veratti is there best and most influential player in the midfield. Chiellini is a great defender but he is getting up in age and up front they struggle to score goals. In goal Donnarumma is a great young talent but he has struggled a bit at club and in Nations League matches, not having the steadying influence of Buffon could hurt them. I think for the match in Greece the team will come out ready to play vs a huge footballing nation as they did vs Belgium, a win here would set us up well as it will be the third match of qualifying campaign.

• Like it 1

I believe we’ve learnt our lesson with Finland. I don’t know about Armenia as they seem to be on and off in regards to results. They seem more of a challenge than Finland in my opinion. You know against Finland we will be on. 

I definitely agree that we do better against better teams, so against Italy we should at least get 2 draws against then and avoid defeat as much as we can. Against Bosnia it will be tough but we can manage to get at least a win against them. They are tricky. 

We all know we will beat Lichtenstein. I predict at best we will be 3rd. At worst we’ll be 4th. Hopefully we can be 2nd. I’m feeling more positive than negative but we know anything can happen with our team. As long as we play our best players and are injury free we should put up a good fight for 2nd place.

We got a favourable draw considering we were in Pot 4 it could have been alot tougher. Therefore I believe Greece should compete for second spot in this group. Group A would have been even better drawing in with England, chzech, Bulgaria. That would have been a dream draw second would be a lock maybe even first over the English. 

I agree if you had got group A I think we had a chance at 2nd. 

Let's not kid ourselves we are in a tough group. Italy, Bosnia and Finland will give us  a lot of trouble especially away from home. Throw in Armenia they won't be easy. We couldn't finish 1st in the nations league with such a easy group. I predict we will be 4th here.  It will be 

Italy Bosnia Finland Greece Armenia and last Litchenstein.