Phantis Forums

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Blackhawk

We need a team from Pot A that we can cause a surprise. Switzerland, England, France, Belgium are on another level. Netherlands are coming strong and won’t want to miss Euro again. Portugal under Santos are difficult to beat. I think if the stars align, players that are injured get fit, then we can cause an upset with either Italy, Spain, Croatia, Poland. But not in our current state and inability to score.

Notwithstanding the coaches decisions, In the Estonia game we were extremely unlucky. Even Hungary who ended 2nd in the Group, dropped into Pot 4.

Edited by kbxk508

The teams in Pot 3 aren't THAT much better than the ones in Pot 4. If we are up to task to qualify, we should be able to take any one of them. Pot 3 definitely has more quality but even the best side could have easily found itself in Pot 4. Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway are not strong teams; If we land one of those we would turn the table on this draw IMO. 

If there is one team I would want to avoid, it's Turkey. As much as I would circle the dates on my calendar, we are already in the hole going into this campaign, and the rivalry would render these games just as difficult as the ones vs Pot 1 and 2 sides; we have enough obstacles as it is.

Here's hoping for a favourable draw. 

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

ya it would have been a 50/50 with Holland. Greece were penalties away from the World Cup quarter finals and looks what has happened in the last 4 years, total disappointment.

we lost to costa rica in pk's 0-0. they lost to netherlands pk's 0-0.  they lost to argentina 0-0 pk's. 

pk's are very fluke imagine in a parallel universe we landed ourselves in the final. that's sort of like what happened in the euro.

9 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

^^ I watched that game about a week ago and we played with so much pace, the team created so many chances and was unlucky not to score a 2nd goal because of the great goalkeeping from Navas. Total night and day difference to the current NT which in a lot of games has so much trouble moving the ball effectively in the final third of the pitch. 

We’re you like me and thinking “look at us then and look at us now...”

It was bit depressing looking at the football we were playing and then looking at what we have to put up with now 

11 hours ago, Alphonse said:

We’re you like me and thinking “look at us then and look at us now...”

It was bit depressing looking at the football we were playing and then looking at what we have to put up with now 

Yup exactly, I was very optimistic for the upcoming years after that World Cup. I knew it would be a tough transition without Karagounis there but I definitely thought with our roster and the group we were handed for the 2016 Euro qualifiers Romania, N Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Faroes that Greece were a lock to finish in the top 2. Finishing last in that group and missing the 2016 Euros did immense damage to the team and they have not recovered since and winning matches that should be a given as was the case with Santos like vs Estonia, Faroes, Finland, Hungary etc. have become very tricky encounters.

Look how the team has gone down hill after the 2014 World cup.. Look at these loses that have dropped our rankings and have put this team in the position they are today.. I think there is no more passion or heart or care from the players, Fans and EPO. These results are now the norm for this team..

Below is a list of the Ethniki’s results to forget since the downfall began in 2014.

14-Oct-14: Greece - N. Ireland 0:2 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

14-Nov-14: Greece - Faroe Islands 0:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

13-Jun-15: Faroe Islands- Greece 2:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

4-Sep-15: Greece - Finland 0:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

8-Oct-15: N. Ireland - Greece 3:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

13-Nov-15: Luxembourg - Greece 1:0 (Friendly)

9-Nov-16: Greece - Belarus 0:1 (Friendly)

31-Aug-17: Greece - Estonia 0:0 (2018 World Cup qualifier)

9-Nov-17: Croatia - Greece 4:1 (2018 World Cup qualifier)

11-Sep-18: Hungary - Greece 2:1 (UEFA Nations League)

15-Oct-18: Finland - Greece 2:0 (UEFA Nations League)

18-Nov-18: Greece - Estonia 0:1 (UEFA Nations League)

In 12 Games played

Goals scored - 4

Goals Allowed - 19

Edited by J1078

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Look how the team has gone down hill after the 2014 World cup.. Look at these loses that have dropped our rankings and have put this team in the position they are today.. I think there is no more passion or heart or care from the players, Fans and EPO. These results are now the norm for this team..

Below is a list of the Ethniki’s results to forget since the downfall began in 2014.

14-Oct-14: Greece - N. Ireland 0:2 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

14-Nov-14: Greece - Faroe Islands 0:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

13-Jun-15: Faroe Islands- Greece 2:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

4-Sep-15: Greece - Finland 0:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

8-Oct-15: N. Ireland - Greece 3:1 (Euro 2016 qualifying)

13-Nov-15: Luxembourg - Greece 1:0 (Friendly)

9-Nov-16: Greece - Belarus 0:1 (Friendly)

31-Aug-17: Greece - Estonia 0:0 (2018 World Cup qualifier)

9-Nov-17: Croatia - Greece 4:1 (2018 World Cup qualifier)

11-Sep-18: Hungary - Greece 2:1 (UEFA Nations League)

15-Oct-18: Finland - Greece 2:0 (UEFA Nations League)

18-Nov-18: Greece - Estonia 0:1 (UEFA Nations League)

In 12 Games played

Goals scored - 4

Goals Allowed - 19

Edited by Ellada2004
Did not enter text

It's very depressing J1078, I read since the 2016 Euro qualifiers the NT record in 41 matches is 13W 9D 19L. Just pathetic and most of the losses are to average or minnow teams aside from the loses to Belgium and Croatia.

I can accept a loss to Belgium like the 1-2 defeat in Athens but not to countries like Estonia, faroes, North Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia etc. I don't know what the problem is when they play these crap sides I remember Ranieri laughing in press conferences saying they will win and expect to win these games like the ones vs Finland, North Ireland and Faroe Islands only to come out totally flat. The mentality has to change, hopefully it will because when we played Belgium to a draw in Brussels and even the defeat in Greece the team looked more sharp and played with more purpose. Maybe vs the top countries in the upcoming Euro qualifiers we will see the same. I can only hope so.  

• Like it 2

On 11/22/2018 at 6:19 PM, Ellada2004 said:

It's very depressing J1078, I read since the 2016 Euro qualifiers the NT record in 41 matches is 13W 9D 19L. Just pathetic and most of the losses are to average or minnow teams aside from the loses to Belgium and Croatia.

I can accept a loss to Belgium like the 1-2 defeat in Athens but not to countries like Estonia, faroes, North Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia etc. I don't know what the problem is when they play these crap sides I remember Ranieri laughing in press conferences saying they will win and expect to win these games like the ones vs Finland, North Ireland and Faroe Islands only to come out totally flat. The mentality has to change, hopefully it will because when we played Belgium to a draw in Brussels and even the defeat in Greece the team looked more sharp and played with more purpose. Maybe vs the top countries in the upcoming Euro qualifiers we will see the same. I can only hope so.  

Maybe Greece is losing to minnows because they are a minnow now. 

On 11/22/2018 at 1:25 PM, Ellada2004 said:

Yup exactly, I was very optimistic for the upcoming years after that World Cup. I knew it would be a tough transition without Karagounis there but I definitely thought with our roster and the group we were handed for the 2016 Euro qualifiers Romania, N Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Faroes that Greece were a lock to finish in the top 2. Finishing last in that group and missing the 2016 Euros did immense damage to the team and they have not recovered since and winning matches that should be a given as was the case with Santos like vs Estonia, Faroes, Finland, Hungary etc. have become very tricky encounters.

After that World Cup I was stupid and told all my buddies that the way Greece was rising, we were gonna celebrate another major trophy in the next 10 years. What a dummy I was. Lol

23 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

After that World Cup I was stupid and told all my buddies that the way Greece was rising, we were gonna celebrate another major trophy in the next 10 years. What a dummy I was. Lol

I wouldn’t say Greece are minnows, we have qualified for major tournaments, world cups and Euros and are one of ten countries to win the European Championship. A lot of good footballing countries can’t make the same claims.

I too thought after the last World Cup that we would qualify for the 2016 Euro and was thinking we would make the semis and then carry it over to the 2018 World Cup. Things have just gone sideways especially when Ranieri took over for Euro qualifying and Skibbes mess at the Nations League. Only positives over last four years is the away result vs Belgium and that the team managed to get to the playoff vs eventual World Cup runners up Croatia. Though the first leg vs croatia went all wrong due to Skibbes suspect lineup and FIFA dubious suspension of Manolas for the first match. 

1 minute ago, Ellada2004 said:

I wouldn’t say Greece are minnows, we have qualified for major tournaments, world cups and Euros and are one of ten countries to win the European Championship. A lot of good footballing countries can’t make the same claims.

I too thought after the last World Cup that we would qualify for the 2016 Euro and was thinking we would make the semis and then carry it over to the 2018 World Cup. Things have just gone sideways especially when Ranieri took over for Euro qualifying and Skibbes mess at the Nations League. Only positives over last four years is the away result vs Belgium and that the team managed to get to the playoff vs eventual World Cup runners up Croatia. Though the first leg vs croatia went all wrong due to Skibbes suspect lineup and FIFA dubious suspension of Manolas for the first match. 

The past was a great time my friend.  But those years are gone now. We have actually turned into a minnow since then. Look at the teams that have won against Greece. It’s terrible the way it’s going. It needs to be corrected. Unfortunately, this mess may take a while to clean up. 

• Sad 1

No Minnow woould ever win a Euro championship and be ranked 10 for years..unfortunately right now we are sinking fast and even though I don’t think we are a minnow YET we can’t be that far off if you look at who we’ve lost to the past 4 years.. I mean when teams that are in the 90’s plus in the FIFA ranking have beat you over the last 4 years we can’t really say we are that much ahead of them.. I’m still hoping we turn this around but it doesn’t  look good at the moment.. I mean besides the Netherlands in a friendly when they were struggling when was the last time we beat a good team? It’s been years.. Yes we have  Tied a few teams but when have we actually won? We have lost more times to Minniows then we have beat a good team in the last 4 years which is why our FIFA rankings have plummeted..  I’m hoping we start to get our s%$#! together and start to turn this around as it will all start with a very difficult group for us no matter who we get in the qualifiers..

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

The past was a great time my friend.  But those years are gone now. We have actually turned into a minnow since then. Look at the teams that have won against Greece. It’s terrible the way it’s going. It needs to be corrected. Unfortunately, this mess may take a while to clean up. 

We have just lost our way in the last 4 years. For over a decade Greece won a EURO and was going to knock out rounds of the Euros and World Cup and was ranked consistently near the top 15 in the FIFA rankings. Everyone has to get on the same page and get there s&@& together from the EPO, coach and his staff, and the players. We have a good pool of talent to draw from lets just hope a favorable draw is given to us and we get back on track and start getting back to playing our winning brand of football.

Teams go through ups and downs all the time, right now it’s hard not to say we are not at a minnow stage, look at the results last 4 years and teams we have played plus our average goal per game with these teams.

Its tragic and of massive proportions.

On top of that, we can hardly create chances and finish like amateurs. This is actually way worse than pre Euro 04

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

If that’s how they feel about the Ethniki then I say F*** those bitches and the NT should not even come consider playing their games at Toumba... 

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/paoks-gate-4-fans-over-our-dead-bodies-the-ethniki-at-toumba

I was so disgusted to read that statement from PAOK Gate 4. Whoever wrote that isn't a real Greek. Kolo poutso!

• Like it 2

I can't understand this. How can those PAOK fanatical fans love there club but not our national team? They are insulting Greece for Christ Sake! I'm sure not many PAOK fans I know in the U.S. would disrespect the ethniki in such matter. EPO can go ahead and play the matches in Crete where they can draw many fans. 

• Like it 1

The Epo needs to be smart about this, where do we think the NT can play and actually get homefield advantage where fans will show up? Do we really think Having the games in Crete will fill up the stadium? I mean if we couldn’t get people in Athens will People come out in Crete? I still think Athens is probably the smartest choice IMO.. I’m sick of playing in other teams stadium in front of a full crowd and then when they come play in our home it’s not intimidating at all as it’s empty..

• Like it 2