Phantis Forums

Nations League #6 - Greece vs. Estonia (Olympic Stadium, Athens, Greece) - 18 Nov 2018 21:45

Antaeus7

42 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Favourable draw? When you are in pot 4 there is no favourable draw. We are screwed. Forget about 2020 we won't qualify. Of course there's always a chance but come on. Pot 4. It's impossible with this team. 

We blew it. Uefa has made it easy to qualify through this nations cup. If we only finished 1st we would have been guaranteed a playoff spot. Even if we finished as best 2nd or even 2nd best 2nd place the chance of getting a playoff spot was good. But we couldn't even do it in a group with Finland, Hungary and Estonia. We finish 3rd lol.

We won't be at the Euros. Look at 2016 when the 3rd place was guaranteed a playoff spot so easy but we finished last in the group ???

mark my words unless there's a massive shake up with the FA, money invested at grassroots, infrastructure built, good coaches we won't qualify for another tournament for a long time. Decades. 

Just look at portugal. I watched a documentary on their soccer program. Back in the early nineties they decided to invest in infrastructure and youth development, good youth coaches and they just built another advance complex for training this year. Look at the players they produce, how far they get in tournaments. They are in the nations league final in June. To much greed and corruption in Greece. 

Ya man I think you may be right.. So pathetic..

Yup it's sad?. It's nice to have Greece at the party every 2 yrs but the writing was on the wall. The ride was going to be bumpy and eventually go down hill. 

For me the wake up was way back after we won the Euro 2004. When we didn't qualify for the World Cup in 2006 I realized that it was only a matter of time. 12 yrs later 2016 and we haven't qualified 

Yeah I don’t know what has to be done now. You’d think the loss to faores and Luxembourg over the years would somehow motivate the team to be better but now this trend of losing to 2 star teams continue. Whats the next plan now. It’s starting to get frustrating with losing to these teams over and over again. It’s disappointing. 

Im still optimistic but how can you be with this trend going and not knowing when it will stop. Against better teams we play better and show up. We just have to hope big changes happen. Otherwise we will be seeing the same thing.

• Like it 1

Greece will be fine just had a run of bad luck. Not qualifying for the Euro 2016 was very tough since it was such an easy  group that Greece were given and more teams could qualify that cycle. Missing the last WCUP sucked but a lot of people said that Bosnia would best us for 2nd spot and we knew Belgium was always going to top the group. Losing to Croatia in the playoff was a blow but they are a quality side that went all the way to the final.

When a country has to qualify from Europe where there are many great footballing nations its going to be difficult especially for the World Cup. Its not like Greece is playing in CONCACAF vs totally weak teams and unlike Canada a country who cant qualify for a world cup for 32 years and has not even come close for 20 years that is disgraceful and worrisome. Greece will be back, the EPO, coach and coaches staff and most the players have to start getting better prepared for these upcoming matches starting in March.

I don’t actually know if we will be alright especially since the fans have all given up and don’t show up to any games and now the captan and leader stands up and stops believing with Socratis comments.. I think there is a bad vibe amongst the team... I’m starting to believe that Greece can only be successful by being the underdogs and having everyone play back and just score a goal on the counter and just defend. It seems like when we are favoured and control the ball we don’t know what the hell to do with it hence our famous back passes and lack of finishing..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

2 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

Greece will be fine just had a run of bad luck. Not qualifying for the Euro 2016 was very tough since it was such an easy  group that Greece were given and more teams could qualify that cycle. Missing the last WCUP sucked but a lot of people said that Bosnia would best us for 2nd spot and we knew Belgium was always going to top the group. Losing to Croatia in the playoff was a blow but they are a quality side that went all the way to the final.

When a country has to qualify from Europe where there are many great footballing nations its going to be difficult especially for the World Cup. Its not like Greece is playing in CONCACAF vs totally weak teams and unlike Canada a country who cant qualify for a world cup for 32 years and has not even come close for 20 years that is disgraceful and worrisome. Greece will be back, the EPO, coach and coaches staff and most the players have to start getting better prepared for these upcoming matches starting in March.

Let’s not compare the 2 countries. Canada is horrible. But Canada is the only country in the world that has dominated their first sport. What Canada has done in hockey will never be done in any sport around the world by any country. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Jimmyp said:

Let’s not compare the 2 countries. Canada is horrible. But Canada is the only country in the world that has dominated their first sport. What Canada has done in hockey will never be done in any sport around the world by any country. 

I’m not a hockey guy but hockey is played by what 5 countries that excel at the sport, football is played all over the world. Brazil has won 5 of the first 17 World Cups and finished runner up two times as well. Pretty impressive.

I don’t believe we will be fine at all now days.

Since the end of WC in Brazil our actually football has been atrocious, I mean we look like amateurs out there most games.

We now lose to minnows on a regular basis, we can’t score goals, I believe we average 0.50 goals a game which is very very bad when you look at recent opposition and the best we can do now is SQUEEZE out 1-0 wins at home... 

We have a federation that has taken the game backwards when we have every opportunity to go forward BUT nothing will change... I feel hard to knock Anastasiadis so early on but I just wonder when our players will stop looking so silly when they put the ethniki top on... it’s like all club form and football IQ just goes out the window...

I dunno, I just see no light at the end of the tunnel with the current EPO and the lack of funding to anything worthwhile for the future. Budgeted coaches for the ethniki for example is not a good sign

We have now dropped to pot 4... Wow

• Like it 1

On 11/19/2018 at 10:12 PM, J1078 said:

I don’t actually know if we will be alright especially since the fans have all given up and don’t show up to any games and now the captan and leader stands up and stops believing with Socratis comments.. I think there is a bad vibe amongst the team... I’m starting to believe that Greece can only be successful by being the underdogs and having everyone play back and just score a goal on the counter and just defend. It seems like when we are favoured and control the ball we don’t know what the hell to do with it hence our famous back passes and lack of finishing..

yes good point. We struggle winning game that we should win. 80% possession and 24 attempts. We lack finishing.

We need fast wingers to counter Donis & Fetfa... Mitroglou as a target man. 

We should play 3 cb's since it's our strength and the less the opponent scores the more likely we can win. Manolas Sokratis Retsos Manolas and Siovas are all acceptable starters at cb.

we need both Donis and Mitro healthy. It's very rare both these dudes have been healthy and I think that's a huge reason why we struggled.

Mitro

Donis Fortounis Fetfa/Laz

zeca/samaris

holebas/staf siov sok man  toro/bakakis/retsos

odyseeas

our weak spot is clearly cdm/cm positions. galanopoulos and samaris in form could be good. zeca is a work horse but has poor technical ability.

our second weak spot is the wings. donis is always favoured when healthy which is good but fetfa/lazaros not starting in favour of mantalos/bakasetas on the wing is wrong. strangely mantalos and bakasetas do okay on the wings for AEK but maybe that's cause superleague sucks. Masouras looks good on the wing though and I think wouldn't look too shabby for NT. He has good pace, through balls, and tenacity to score too.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic