Phantis Forums

Nations League #6 - Greece vs. Estonia (Olympic Stadium, Athens, Greece) - 18 Nov 2018 21:45

Antaeus7

Greece can’t beat Estonia and we are really now talking about who we get in the draw??? Doesn’t even matter anymore?  The Qualifying dream is over and we need to focus on 2022 now and built towards the following tournament.. Maybe by then we will drop to pot D after the next Nations league tourney and maybe get lucky that way.. It’s going to be a long dark road ahead and after this Euro Angelo will get fired as he only signed for 1 year and a new coach will be named yet again...

So what now The coach is going to wait unitl a few days before our next game which is the Euro group stage match in March before he sees or works with the team again and that’s suppose to change things??  If I can make prediction it will be Donis will be Iinjured pelkas and Mantalos will be on the wing, Fortounis and Kourbelis and Zeca will be at the mid and Toro,Manolas,Socratis at the back and Mitro up front.... The subs will be Mantalos for Bakasetas and Mitro for Kolouris.. and Bakakis for Toro.. Real  encouraging FFS...

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

I’m away in work trip and was bit disappointed i wouldn’t be able to see this game thinking we win... lost 0-1 to Estonia... F*** me... 

Forget who we draw with, this team is as bad as it gets, get Postecoglou in there. Everyone talking about leadership like it will change everything, get a serious coach in there who tells them how it is

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, Bihti said:

We lack leadership. Sokratis is a champion. However we dont have a stoma like Karagounis. He was a stoma that knew how to take players on both with the stoma and the footwork. Passion and spirit is what we lack. Alot like the country itself and it has been missing for quite a few years now. Dont want to sound dramatic but Ellatha became an empire again and it has crumbled again but this time in football terms. We may be an empire again but maybe not for years. As far as personnel goes, we need to use the lads that are playing abroad (in the bigger leagues) alot more and only use GSL players when we run out of options. We keep ignoring players that play in holland and belgium and that is a massive fail. More importantly we need a leader, like Karagounis to emerge. A pehtara with a stoma. Someone who runs his heart out up and down the pitch. To get under the skin of the opposition to stand up to opposition bullies and to inspire his team mates. That 2004 team had about half a dozen pehtares with a stoma. We had such a good mix of players. The country and the team believed anything was possible. Now our boys go through the motions. Its  not that we dont try its that we dont care enough. The country has far more pressing issues right now to put things into perspective. When you see the crowds for the ethniki now and go back to qualification for world cup 1994, when Machlas nailed the header against Russia to get us into the world cup, our first one ever, its no comparison. That crowd was sick and so passionate. The passion hit a high when we won Euro and greeks celebrated all around the world especially in Ellatha like no one else can. Sometime when you hit the top of the mountain the only way is down and that takes away all that you had. Now we dont play Russia anymore, we play bits and pieces of the old soviet union that has been taken away from Russia and these minoes give us a hard time both football wise and also in a physical sense. Even as bad as we are i cant stop watching the Ethniki. Always in my heart my favourite world football team anywhere anytime. Always.

Well said, we need someone to emerge a vocal leader like Karagounis was a guy who left it all on the field and used his footballing smarts as well. Ive been saying it since he retired and ever since Greece lost on pk to Costa Rica at 2014 World Cup it seems like everything has gone sour for us. Bringing in Ranieri at that time I just knew he would not be right fit for us but I never expected us to be bottom of a group that was so winnable if not 2nd place looked like a lock. I love watching the Ethniki more than watching club football I remember the 1994 World Cup it was amazing to qualify and watch the team in the USA. Then the Euro run being so excited once we got to the quarters beat Zidane and France and then stunned the Checks and watching that final vs Portugal and Charisteas when he scored I couldn't believe it was an incredible time! Zagorakis lifting the Euro trophy one of the best moments ever!

47 minutes ago, J1078 said:

What’s concerning is the coaches remarks after the game.. he said “I like what I saw from the players today and we were unlucky” he also said “we are not a great team yet but we aren’t that bad” ?‍♂️

When you lose to a country like Estonia, yes, YOU ARE BAD.

I am so tired of the defeatist attitude of the Greek National Team. Only in Greece is the phenomenon present. It's pathetic! How is it that tiny nations like Croatia, Belgium, and even Serbia produce players that can score? Just for once I would like to see Hellas drive up the field and finish a play with a goal. Just once so I can jizz my f-ing pants. I seriously don't get it. I've seen the goals many of the team's players have scored when playing for their clubs even when matched up against much tougher competition than Estonia, yet it all disappears when they play for country. Today there were so many weak finishes, scoffed shots, balls barely rolling to the net....I wanted to pull the little remaining hair on my damn head right out! This team has burned me emotionally and physically. Like many have said, the team needs to be blown up with exception to 2-3 core players. Sadly, though, this won't happen.....

Edited by AEK RE GAMOTO
  • Like it 2

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

What’s concerning is the coaches remarks after the game.. he said “I like what I saw from the players today and we were unlucky” he also said “we are not a great team yet but we aren’t that bad” ?‍♂️

Why does he have to say we are not a great team? We know that, but there is no reason to be vocal about it.

Out of today's XI only Sokratis is a pencilled in starter. This was out C team and we got the worst luck in the world to lose. This does not make us good, or this failure any easier to digest, but there were greater forces at work against Greece in 2018.

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, AEK RE GAMOTO said:

When you lose to a country like Estonia, yes, YOU ARE BAD.

I am so tired of the defeatist attitude of the Greek National Team. Only in Greece is the phenomenon present. It's pathetic! How is it that tiny nations like Croatia, Belgium, and even Serbia produce players that can score? Just for once I would like to see Hellas drive up the field and finish a play with a goal. Just once so I can jizz my f-ing pants. I seriously don't get it. I've seen the goals many of the team's players have scored when playing for their clubs even when matched up against much tougher competition than Estonia, yet it all disappears when they play for country. Today there were so many weak finishes, scoffed shots, balls barely rolling to the net....I wanted to pull the little remaining hair on my damn head right out! This team has burned me emotionally and physically. Like many have said, the team needs to be blown up with exception to 2-3 core players. Sadly, though, this won't happen.....

I see what you're saying, but blown up how? Are we brining up our U21s? There are players that must go and others that must be called up, but this lies in tactics and playing the right guys in the right positions. 

What was this team we started today? Sokratis + a mix of our B and C team. I will bet that no other nation has injuries to key players like Greece has atm. That + no call up of Lazaros and Fetfa, sending Koulouris to the U21s? This match had so much importance and we treated it like a friendly. Now, we will suffer the consequences of being in POT 4 for ECQ draw. Today's loss can potentially set the team back years. 

• Like it 1

Can everyone just accept there is no talent .  Stop blaming coaches and who they start or sit.  Stop asking for no namers to come in and save the day for you.  We have 2 talented players they  play for Arsenal and Roma unfortunately they are defenders.  Our next somewhat talented player had his peak and is going down (Mitroglou).  Thats where it ends

Edited by Polikastano

42 minutes ago, Polikastano said:

Can everyone just accept there is no talent .  Stop blaming coaches and who they start or sit.  Stop asking for no namers to come in and save the day for you.  We have 2 talented players they  play for Arsenal and Roma unfortunately they are defenders.  Our next somewhat talented player had his peak and is going down (Mitroglou).  Thats where it ends

Would you agree that the team has more talent than Estonia though?

Another disastrous loss. It’s becoming a habit. This one hurts even more. The over head shot by Karelis, the goalie stuck his hand up and the ball hit it.

I’m surprised the coach didn’t get his worry beads out in the 2nd half.

Disappointing result no doubt. Once again we are reminded of how much we lack in the final 3rd and in front of goal. It took moments of magic from Fortounis (post) and Karelis (overhead kick) to produce our best chances. 

It's a bad loss but it hasn't changed where the ethniki sits in my eyes. We struggle to break teams down and create chances when denied space, we know that. We are suited to a counter attacking style of football. You're not gonna get those sort of chances vs Hungary, Finland and Estonia. 

Qualifying for Euro 2020 is going to be tough but not beyond us. 
Our key players need to be in form and stay fit and we'll be in with half a shout. Vlaxodimos, Manolas, Sokratis, Zeca, Fortounis, Donis, Mitroglou, Pelkas there is enough talent there for us to be somewhat optimistic moving forward. At least I am.

Edited by paokarag4

True, but team needs a lot of work.

Team lacks pace in key areas. Wingbacks aren’t fast enough. We need better options. These are important positions if we are going to score goals. Not enough players in the box when we get into dangerous positions. We make bad decisions going forward. Shoot when we should pass, shoot when we should cross. Pass when we should shoot. Forwards and striker are static a lot of the time. Team lacks belief and confidence going forward. Players don’t trust each other. Remember the Pelkas non pass to an open Fortounis vs Finland.

If you look at this game we could have created chances to walk the ball in. Sorry, but Bakakis is not very good at this level. Gianoulis didn’t take on one defender. Too scared to make a mistake. Tzimikas and Koutris are better but are still young. I think there are others who play in Europe that we need to look at. Greek SL is not a good standard. I think some of the guys playing in Holland, Belgium and Germany are better. We need to start looking outside SL for answers.

• Like it 1

We have no speed on this team.  Karelis looks sooooooo slow. Toro didn't look half as good as he did against Finland. We dominated the game, as we should have, but no real shots. We have the makings of a good team, but need we need some speed to stretch the other teams out.

Just looking at the pots I didn't realize Germany were in pot 2, crap I hope we don't end up with them. From Pot 1 I will gladly take poland. Pot 3 Israel and Bulgaria are good for us. Estonia are in pot 4 at least we won't have to face them lol. 

• Haha 1

If the EURO 2020 qualifying draw took place today, the following reams would make up pots 1-6.

Pot 1: Switzerland, Portugal, England, France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Croatia, Poland

Pot 2: Germany, Iceland, Bosnia, Ukraine, Russia, Denmark, Austria, Wales, Sweden, Czech Republic

Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Israel, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria, Scotland

Pot 4: Hungary, Romania, Greece, Albania, Cyprus, Montenegro, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Belarus

Pot 5: Georgia, FYROM, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Gibraltar, Faroe Islands

Pot 6: Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta, San Marino

Can you imagine we get,

France, Germany, Serbia w are F***ed...

Best outcome would be Poland, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

7 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

True, but team needs a lot of work.

Team lacks pace in key areas. Wingbacks aren’t fast enough. We need better options. These are important positions if we are going to score goals. Not enough players in the box when we get into dangerous positions. We make bad decisions going forward. Shoot when we should pass, shoot when we should cross. Pass when we should shoot. Forwards and striker are static a lot of the time. Team lacks belief and confidence going forward. Players don’t trust each other. Remember the Pelkas non pass to an open Fortounis vs Finland.

If you look at this game we could have created chances to walk the ball in. Sorry, but Bakakis is not very good at this level. Gianoulis didn’t take on one defender. Too scared to make a mistake. Tzimikas and Koutris are better but are still young. I think there are others who play in Europe that we need to look at. Greek SL is not a good standard. I think some of the guys playing in Holland, Belgium and Germany are better. We need to start looking outside SL for answers.

I couldn’t agree more.  SL is horrible my 70 year old dad could probably make a team. And lack of speed is a big issue. This may be the slowest team out there. Regardless of who plays. 

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

If the EURO 2020 qualifying draw took place today, the following reams would make up pots 1-6.

Pot 1: Switzerland, Portugal, England, France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Croatia, Poland

Pot 2: Germany, Iceland, Bosnia, Ukraine, Russia, Denmark, Austria, Wales, Sweden, Czech Republic

Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Israel, Norway, Finland, Bulgaria, Scotland

Pot 4: Hungary, Romania, Greece, Albania, Cyprus, Montenegro, Estonia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Belarus

Pot 5: Georgia, FYROM, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Gibraltar, Faroe Islands

Pot 6: Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta, San Marino

Can you imagine we get,

France, Germany, Serbia w are F***ed...

Best outcome would be Poland, Czech Republic, Northern Ireland

I was thinking God we could get France or Spain with Germany... That would end any chance of qualifying right away. Ideally I would want

1.Poland

2.Chzech, Austria or I will take even Iceland as they are in poor form lately

3.North Ireland, Norway, Israel  (dont want to see Finland anymore)

4. Greece

5. Gibraltar

6. Andorra

I pray to the Good Lord we get something like this...

@Ellada2004 if we don’t get a fovorable draw like you listed it’s going to be another tough tournement to watch without  the Ethniki... F*** who would have thought we would sink this low once Kara and company retired and Santos left.. 

Edited by J1078

8 minutes ago, J1078 said:

@Ellada2004 if we don’t get a fovorable draw like you listed it’s going to be another tough tournement to watch without  the Ethniki... F*** who would have thought we would sink this low once Kara and company retired and Santos left.. 

Ya man I know. I was talking with some Greek buddies of mine they cant believe we are in Pot 4, its embarrassing!

With Karagounis and Katsouranis and Reghagel and Santos at the helm we had a 10 year run of winning matches most all be it 1-0 but we were winning and beating tough sides like Spain, Croatia etc and qualified for World Cups and Euros and now look how south everything has gone in the last 4 years. I will hope for the best draw and I will back the team and pray we can somehow grab 2nd place.

• Like it 1

Regardless of who get in our group, can our players perform?

Sokratis said in an interview where he doesn’t believe in the team. He said that he doesn’t if they can do any better. Also when we had Katsouranis and Karagounis in last 4 years of their careers we still made tournaments even though they were slow in our midfield. 

How can this current generation be so bad. I don’t know what the problem is anymore. I know Bakasetas slows down everything and is crap, but we can’t be losing to Estonia. Our attack is garbage. Samaras, Salpingidis and Gekas are proving to be way better than the likes of Mantalos, Pelkas and Mitroglou. Fortounis is one player that can sort of do something but he can’t be the only one. 

Favourable draw? When you are in pot 4 there is no favourable draw. We are screwed. Forget about 2020 we won't qualify. Of course there's always a chance but come on. Pot 4. It's impossible with this team. 

We blew it. Uefa has made it easy to qualify through this nations cup. If we only finished 1st we would have been guaranteed a playoff spot. Even if we finished as best 2nd or even 2nd best 2nd place the chance of getting a playoff spot was good. But we couldn't even do it in a group with Finland, Hungary and Estonia. We finish 3rd lol.

We won't be at the Euros. Look at 2016 when the 3rd place was guaranteed a playoff spot so easy but we finished last in the group ???

mark my words unless there's a massive shake up with the FA, money invested at grassroots, infrastructure built, good coaches we won't qualify for another tournament for a long time. Decades. 

Just look at portugal. I watched a documentary on their soccer program. Back in the early nineties they decided to invest in infrastructure and youth development, good youth coaches and they just built another advance complex for training this year. Look at the players they produce, how far they get in tournaments. They are in the nations league final in June. To much greed and corruption in Greece. 

13 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Regardless of who get in our group, can our players perform?

Sokratis said in an interview where he doesn’t believe in the team. He said that he doesn’t if they can do any better. Also when we had Katsouranis and Karagounis in last 4 years of their careers we still made tournaments even though they were slow in our midfield. 

How can this current generation be so bad. I don’t know what the problem is anymore. I know Bakasetas slows down everything and is crap, but we can’t be losing to Estonia. Our attack is garbage. Samaras, Salpingidis and Gekas are proving to be way better than the likes of Mantalos, Pelkas and Mitroglou. Fortounis is one player that can sort of do something but he can’t be the only one. 

Its tough times Dean, we have some good players like Manolas and Sokratis many countries would love to have that CB combo. Fortounis can be creative in attack and Mitroglou is a good finisher. There are some iffy selections like Bakasetas and Mantalos but even still with them in the lineup how do they not beat Estonia? Ive said it here after that CR loss at the WCUP we have had a bad run of luck and didn't help with the EPO hiring Ranieri who screwed things up in those first three games in Euro 2016 qualifying.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic