Phantis Forums

Nations League - Game #4 - Finland V. Greece (Tampere Stadion, Tampere) - October 15, 2018

La Mendel

Skibbe needs to be fired tomorrow and we need to use these last to games to get familiar with a different coach.. Can you imagine how hard our Euro group will be??? we will have 3 teams better then us and 2 of the 3 maybe world class caliber.. We are so F..ked.. Can anyone really see how this team can possibly get out of the euro group.. Not a chance in hell..

• Like it 1

why is to so hard to find a level headed coach. ranieri through the baby out with the bathwater. skibbe soooo slow to make changes and bad decisions.

simple. we need wingers. fetfa starting and playing well for oly. start fetfa. it's not that hard folks.

• Like it 1

1 minute ago, gsots said:

We need him gone now. I want the new coach to come in and have the last 2 games to see what he's got and we'll gear up for the qualifiers 

That's what I was thinking. Have the last 2 games as an experimental with the new coach and start again for the Euros.

1 minute ago, georgelaz said:

why is to so hard to find a level headed coach. ranieri through the baby out with the bathwater. skibbe soooo slow to make changes and bad decisions.

simple. we need wingers. fetfa starting and playing well for oly. start fetfa. it's not that hard folks.

It is not hard at all. Even with him I don't think we are saved. But we would have more of a chance of winning. 

Lets be real a new coach will not automatically mean we are back to winning and back to 10th in the world.. Not by far this team will be a work in progress but at least a new coach will but the best players that we have and give us at the very least our best chance to succeed.. As long as we stay with this coach we will never progress he is the worst of all the coaches we have had.. Lets not forget we went through 3 other coaches that couldn't fix this team..

5 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Lets be real a new coach will not automatically mean we are back to winning and back to 10th in the world.. Not by far this team will be a work in progress but at least a new coach will but the best players that we have and give us at the very least our best chance to succeed.. As long as we stay with this coach we will never progress he is the worst of all the coaches we have had.. Lets not forget we went through 3 other coaches that couldn't fix this team..

At this point, we are hopeless. A new coach will at least bring some hope. 

• Like it 1

I'm surprised everyone thought we would finish first lol

yes the problem is Skibbe, but also the FA and the players. For me the players are at fault. They stink. No coach in the world could turn this team around. 

Someone mentioned a few pages ago about the 2004 win and how we didnt capitalize on it with new training centres. 

F&$@&$) bang on. We won the Euros and just coasted. We didn't Qualify for 2016 2018. And now you can forget about 2020. 

I have said countless times in this forum. We are back to the dark ages again. We need to invest. The FA has to be cleaned out. We need infrastructure, coaches, schools. 

Look at Portugal for F***sakes.  Look at the players it keeps producing. The other day with a 2nd string team took care of Scotland 3-1.  They are first in group A with 6pts. 

We can forget about going to anymore tournaments.  It till drastic changes are made. Changing coaches everytime won't help us lol

Get rid of Skibbe, but what will the next guy do with the vast talent pool in Greek soccer ???

• Like it 5

6 minutes ago, J1078 said:

True

It also doesnt help that arguably some of our best young talent never came to fruition either through injury or stupidity. Ninis without injury wouldve probably been this teams best player and Katidis(only himself to blame for derailing a promising career) would have probably filled a role as attacking midfielder. Even Samaras having to retire effectively from NT at 30 created a void. Reading an interview in the guardian, its clear why Holebas doesnt play for this team anymore. 

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Torontoblue said:

I'm surprised everyone thought we would finish first lol

yes the problem is Skibbe, but also the FA and the players. For me the players are at fault. They stink. No coach in the world could turn this team around. 

Someone mentioned a few pages ago about the 2004 win and how we didnt capitalize on it with new training centres. 

F&$@&$) bang on. We won the Euros and just coasted. We didn't Qualify for 2016 2018. And now you can forget about 2020. 

I have said countless times in this forum. We are back to the dark ages again. We need to invest. The FA has to be cleaned out. We need infrastructure, coaches, schools. 

Look at Portugal for F***sakes.  Look at the players it keeps producing. The other day with a 2nd string team took care of Scotland 3-1.  They are first in group A with 6pts. 

We can forget about going to anymore tournaments.  It till drastic changes are made. Changing coaches everytime won't help us lol

Get rid of Skibbe, but what will the next guy do with the vast talent pool in Greek soccer ???

in my opinion EPO Is the mos at fault. Then Skibbe then the players. The players we put out their today were awful. No technical ability. Fortounis is good in this aspect and so Is Pelkas but Pelkas struggled today. The whole team looked like they tried and failed.

3 minutes ago, tkarachr606 said:

It also doesnt help that arguably some of our best young talent never came to fruition either through injury or stupidity. Ninis without injury wouldve probably been this teams best player and Katidis(only himself to blame for derailing a promising career) would have probably filled a role as attacking midfielder. Even Samaras having to retire effectively from NT at 30 created a void. Reading an interview in the guardian, its clear why Holebas doesnt play for this team anymore. 

I 100% agree. 

To continue on the subject of the EPO's failures, how many youth teams have we seen that have been very successful in Euro competitions? A fair amount. Yet all of these players fizzle out and end up busting or only becoming average. Look at the U21's now; one of the better sides yet I can almost guarantee none of them will become stars.

8 minutes ago, Argy said:

I am very concerned as to how this team trains, because they look like it's their first time playing together. There is no chemistry or teamwork. 

Good point I noticed this as well. They seemed like they had no chem for the most part. Sokratis being out too we lost the leadership in the backline. On the bright side I have more free time because it's not worth watching the last 3 games lol.

Edited by georgelaz

I have been defending Skibbe for awhile now but I think the time has come for a change. He did turn our campaign around after the dreadful European qualifiers, but since Croatia, we have regressed. To be fair, we have had loads of injuries but we seem to struggle making two passes together.  After Friday, which we clearly saw that both Bakesetas and Pelkas were not doing well on the wings, he left them both in.  He will probably stay until the Nations League is over but after that, we need seriously see who is out there and who can make an actually difference for the team.

• Like it 2

54 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Skibbe needs to be fired tomorrow and we need to use these last to games to get familiar with a different coach.. Can you imagine how hard our Euro group will be??? we will have 3 teams better then us and 2 of the 3 maybe world class caliber.. We are so F..ked.. Can anyone really see how this team can possibly get out of the euro group.. Not a chance in hell..

Skibbe has completely lost it. He did well to get us into 2nd place in a tough wcup qualifying group with Belgium & Bosnia, not to many gave us a chance to get to the playoffs. He screwed himself in the Croatia match and has not righted his wrongs. For God sakes we tied in Belgium and now we get smoked in Finland?? Time to go back to Germany re Skibbe. 

• Like it 1

OK guys, so Greece will not promote to League B in the UEFA Nations League. What's next? Do they still go to the European Qualifying and have a shot at the final 24 spots for EURO 2020? I am still new to this thing. 

5 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

OK guys, so Greece will not promote to League B in the UEFA Nations League. What's next? Do they still go to the European Qualifying and have a shot at the final 24 spots for EURO 2020? I am still new to this thing. 

Yes, but there will only be 20 spots up for grabs since the victors of Leagues A-D each get a spot in the tournament. 

• Like it 2

We had a number of players just walking around the pitch not fighting for the ball with no will. Other players would do anything for the fanella like Karagounis, Kats, Salpigidis, Toro etc.. The majority of these players are a disgrace to the NT.  Time to get rid of Bakasetas, Tziolis, Tzavellas they can never be selected this isn't Malta for ffs... 

• Like it 3

Skibbe said in post interview we had injuries, what crap if we were that bad play more conservative to hold score and counter.  Greek media asked him if he thought Finland was Brasil hahaha it's about time gets some heat. This team struggles when any team packs the back one dimensional balls in the box come out...

• Like it 4

18 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

Yes, but there will only be 20 spots up for grabs since the victors of Leagues A-D each get a spot in the tournament. 

Really? So Greece would have been in EURO 2020 already had they won this group? 

Edited by Molon Lave
  • Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic