Phantis Forums

Nations League - Game #3 - Hungary v. Greece (Olympic Stadium, Athens) - October 12, 2018

Argy

so happy bakakis and tsimikas got the start. we can actually get the ball foward from the flanks now and they're engines.

Lazaros was a great super sub. Creating dangerous chances / stealing balls 

Tziolis impact sub to shut the game down is actually working. He also saved our asses. As long as he starts I don't mind him shutting the game down if he plays like this.

Sokratis saved our asses so many times too with timely tackles but that's Sokratis.

• Like it 1

Good news we won and a win is a win.. The bad and concerning news is that after that horrible first have the only change Skibbe thought was necessary to get the team going was taking off Kourbelis and bringing in Tziolis, How was that going to get us going offensively?? especially when we needed to score?? I'm glad we won but this was not a good performance.. Shitty that Finland scored in the 88th minute..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

to be fair kourbelis was looking sloppy and unfocused. Tziolis was better

tsimikas made some errors at first and then became one of our best players.

Mitroglou kudos finishing on his few chances.

we need Donis, Samaris to get back in form. To a lesser degree Stafylidis too but i'm really like Tsimikas right now. Dude was all over the place and takes responsibility.

• Like it 2

1 minute ago, Ellada2004 said:

Lazaros had a nice shot and was good save.he was running his arse off and battling for the ball.

through ball to mitro could have been a goal but at least he has the balls and can hit the target. selfish trait in fifa definitely deserved lol

• Like it 1

positives... Greece win by our famous 1-0

Kept a clean sheet 

Sokratis and Manolas excellent games.

mitroglou just needs one chance and it’s likely to go in, great header!

Tzimikas played well...

negatives.. Fortounis had a poor game by his standards

Bakasetas was awful, lacks simple control and almost cost us a penalty at the end

Skibbe subs, subbing in Tziolis although to be fair to him he was good for a change 

• Like it 1

7 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

through ball to mitro could have been a goal but at least he has the balls and can hit the target. selfish trait in fifa definitely deserved lol

That’s true but he loves to hit them from distance, I thought it was going to sneak in

• Like it 1

To be realistic Finland has 9 points but they have only played Hungary once at home and Estonia 2 times already.. so big deal.. now if they beat us or get a point against us on Monday it’s a different story.. They have their toughest games coming up, 2 against us and Hungary on the road..

Edited by J1078

3 minutes ago, J1078 said:

To be realistic Finland has 9 points but they have only played Hungary once at home and Estonia 2 times already.. so big deal.. now if they beat us or get a point against us on Monday it’s a different story.. They have their toughest games coming up, 2 against us and Hungary on the road..

Yes was just thinking of that, but God i thought Estonia had them at a draw that would have really put us in the drivers seat. Your right they have Greece twice and Hungary in Hungary so won’t be easy for them.

• Like it 1

Whatever happens, I think our best 11 is slowly coming into place.   From these 11, how many would you change?  Bakesetas and Kourbellis are the two that you would take out. Tsimakas (was necessary with Staf/Retsos out) could be removed as well but not a priority. Barkas is fine for now, you can make an argument for Giannotis or even Vlacho (Karnezis hasn't been starting) but he is fine.

Edited by Brklyngrk
  • Like it 2

I thought fortounis was very very good imo. zeca and kourbelis were not so great today so he tracked back. he took on defenders. got fouled so much too. his crosses were okay except that last dud and i think he set up mitro a few times but mitro failed to get his feet in sync. 

Mitro seems to be not the best at grounded through balls he's good at volleys/headers and outside box shots. grounded through balls he seems to struggle to cordinated fast enough and gets dispossed. regardless mr. mykonos clinical and tsimikas gets his first assist in his debut. 

form is king.

bakasetas is backup to donis and only played because of his injury. I think Mantalos should play as our 8 with zeca. Mantalos has great hustle and does defend quite hard and hustle

maybe something like  this

mitroglou

donis fortounis lazaros

zeca mantalos

tsimikas sok man bakakis

vlacho

kourbelis and zeca stalled us getting forward unless fortounis tracked back. everything good was coming from our flanks cuz of tsimikas/bakakis hustling up/down the field. which luckily they have the stamina to do but we need to have central as an outlet too or it gets too predictable (the huns caught on in the 7th minute after we were dominating them up the flanks) so we have one defensive minded cm (zeca) and one attack minded (mantalos) think it could work.

Edited by georgelaz

Probably one of the worst performances. I didn't see 1st half but 2nd wasn't that great either. We are lucky to have the defence we have. Bakaksetas is useless it's not funny. He might be in form but has no talent. Talent over form anyday. You can tell Fortounis is the most talented in the team. Tsimikas I though did ok 2nd half. Good assist he had. Mitroglou needs to play with another striker upfront. There are no options when we attack and Mitroglou doesn't move that much.

• Like it 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Probably one of the worst performances. I didn't see 1st half but 2nd wasn't that great either. We are lucky to have the defence we have. Bakaksetas is useless it's not funny. He might be in form but has no talent. Talent over form anyday. You can tell Fortounis is the most talented in the team. Tsimikas I though did ok 2nd half. Good assist he had. Mitroglou needs to play with another striker upfront. There are no options when we attack and Mitroglou doesn't move that much.

1st half we were worse LOL

I think baka has good technique actually he's just slow which luckily he's aware of and would pass the ball to tsimikas lol

I feel like double strikers they'll just be even more isolated. I think mantalos deep or fortounis deep with mantalos cam could work.

isn't that what karagounis did? zeca can be our katasouranis lol

Edited by georgelaz

considering 3 of our 4 backline had yellow cards by the 20th minute though. great defensive display. sokratis absolute masterclass defending. he needs to chill on trying to do long balls though, he's not bonnuci lol

Edited by georgelaz

The slowness is what kills the team. Fetfatzidis is miles more talented than Bakasetas it's just that Fetfatzidis has always had problems with finishing. Also this team has a massive problem with finishing. 

Tsimikas I think could add something more in attack than Lykogiannis. 

Mantalos should have been expiriemnted already as an 8. But Skibbe plays him on the wing. Galanopoulos will play there sooner rather than later. I like Zeca for the pressure he puts and can play sometimes. 

Fortounis is our Ozil. Controls the game with his movement and passing he looked like he didn't do that well. Even he is slow at times. Fetfatzidis will give us a more energetic and creative option on the wing who can play their.

I agree about Mantalos as an 8.

• Like it 2

1 minute ago, Dean97 said:

The slowness is what kills the team. Fetfatzidis is miles more talented than Bakasetas it's just that Fetfatzidis has always had problems with finishing. Also this team has a massive problem with finishing. 

Tsimikas I think could add something more in attack than Lykogiannis. 

Mantalos should have been expiriemnted already as an 8. But Skibbe plays him on the wing. Galanopoulos will play there sooner rather than later. I like Zeca for the pressure he puts and can play sometimes. 

Fortounis is our Ozil. Controls the game with his movement and passing he looked like he didn't do that well. Even he is slow at times. Fetfatzidis will give us a more energetic and creative option on the wing who can play their.

I agree about Mantalos as an 8.

totally forgot about fetfa. he should be starting and then laz super sub and teams wont know what hit them. I don't totally hate skibbe. he's conservative but he's slowly making the right decisions lol

• Like it 1

5 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Slowness is a big problem. Not only with our individual players, but with team pace and distribution. We always seem to slow down the pace to an almost still level by taking too much time with the ball. Which, in turn, makes it very easy for opponents to close us down, leaving the lazy, momentum-killing, back-pass as the only viable option. This happens way, way more often than it should.

• Like it 3

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic