Phantis Forums

Nations League - Game #3 - Hungary v. Greece (Olympic Stadium, Athens) - October 12, 2018

Argy

Whoever saw last day's match and thought , hey these fullbacks deserve to start once again is clueless.

With Stafylidis off and Lykogiannis injured as well (i dont even like Lykogiannis but he was better than Tsimikas) we don't even have a Left Back that can make a pass. Koutris should ve been picked over him imo.

Tsimikas is good don't get me wrong. But he is not ready for the men NT his panic and inexperience showed. His assist doesn't exclude the fact that he was s%$#! for the rest of the game.

Bakakis what can I say? we were far more dull from the Right side than any other match I  ve seen. He was clueless and only managed to lose the ball. Did nothing.

I want Toro and Tsimikas tomorrow as Fullbacks. They re the best we have right now. If Finland come all out on us we have a chance to win otherwise If they decide to park the bus we ll see a similar match to the Hunns.

Mitro needs to be on point if he has one chance again he needs to utilize it , and that's what makes a striker probably panic.

Kourbelis - Zeka is our best duo in the midfield right now but Skibbe did well to sub Kourbelis out. We didn't need a DM at that point , Hunns had already shat their pants when they came they were parking the bus. Tziolis changed a bit the way we attack but nothing too serious. 

The 11 I wanna see in November is:
Mitroglou

Donis Fortounis (literally anyone we have)

Zeka Kourbelis

Stafylidis Sokratis Manola (literally anyone we have)

Blachodimos

If you guys see a right flank being a bit dull and having no decent player at all to put in there, just know you are not the only one. Despite that my favorites for teh spots would be Pelkas and Retsos. Retsos defensively is gonna be better than Bakakis but he is equally bad offensively (Bakakis aint bad offensively with Aek don't start bashing me).

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

3 minutes ago, Chris Tsamados said:

I see Karelis was on the bench for the Hungary game, so presumably he must be fit enough to play. How about giving him a run out together with Mitroglou, if we're chasing a goal. 

You don't start a match with the mentality that "I need to hunt for a goal fast" because it backfires (whole euro 2016 campaign). Ofc after 70 if things are rough and let's be realistic,  if we don't win tomorrow the pressure is gonna be on us in the last 2 matches that are gonna be must win.

We win tomorrow and we are on par on points with the Finns  whose last 2 matches are Greece - Hungary away. In case we end up in equal points with the Hunns we are up front because of the away goal.

We win tomorrow -> we need a big f*ck up to lose first spot.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

11 minutes ago, Chris Tsamados said:

I'm talking about when we go a goal down. We need to put two strikers on.  If we continue with our current setup we've got zero chance of scoring two goals. 

If the Finns try to win as well we have a lot of chances to score more than once. Their defence is Estonia- Hungary level.

If they park the bus we clearly are looking at a draw.

This will be my last rant about the Friday game: we won practically because of the bad decision of the Hungarian head coach. After the first half Hungary opened up a bit, they took more risk. The result was that they gave our attacking players a chance. After the 50th minute we looked a bit livelier than before. Mitroglou was almost invisible in the first half. If they would have stuck to their defensive approach in the second half, the game could have been easily ended as a nil nil draw (because if Mitroglou would have been rendered as inactive as he had been in the first half, Skibbe would have changed him early on for a worse attacker, Koulouris, lessening our chances for finding a goal). They took some risk, thus losing their advantage (it would not have been THAT difficult, just giving us the ball and sitting back) and allowing us to win (our players are footballers of a higher quality than those Hungry blokes).

I guess the moral of this is an extension of what Bernard Shaw said in Man and Superman: even a stupid general can win battles when the enemy's general is a little stupider.

Edited by La Mendel
  • Like it 1

On 10/13/2018 at 9:50 AM, Boxou said:

Samaris, Stafylidis and Karelis are much needed for us but they're out of form lately and this has killed us in many aspects. Galanopoulos should get promoted in the senior team, perhaps Limnios as well. Lykogiannis, Retsos, Mantalos and Torosidis are valuable alternatives while Donis and Lazaros are crucial. Vlachodimos should debut soon. 

Overall it looks unrealistic to expect a full squad any time soon. 

We can't forget KPap in all this. 

1 hour ago, Argy said:

We can't forget KPap in all this. 

Your probably going to get told that he is injured which he is and that he plays 2nd division. You will also be told that he shouldn't be playing because he plays in the 2nd division which is non sense because of the talent he has. He should be one of the first names on the teams list along with Sokratis and Manolas.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:12 PM, Boxou said:

i see people being dissapointed with pelkas, perhaps you just realised he's not winger but an AM?

I agree he's not a cutting it on the wing for the Ethniki, Skibbe should put him as an attacking mid.

5 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Your probably going to get told that he is injured which he is and that he plays 2nd division. You will also be told that he shouldn't be playing because he plays in the 2nd division which is non sense because of the talent he has. He should be one of the first names on the teams list along with Sokratis and Manolas.

Yeah I mean he's an injury prone and no other team than freaking Hamburg which were flirting and eventually did relegated, picked him up when he was an FA. Why to trust a player who picks up a long term injury every year and his perfomance level has dropped dramatically over the years? Probably he's still good enough to start in many Bundesliga teams but that's not what people expected from him. After all he's not a loss when Sokratis and Manolas are around, just adds a bit more depth and that's it.

Wake up, we're not in 2012 anymore where him, Ninis and Fetfatzidis are talented youngsters that should definitely be in our squad. 

Edited by Boxou

Yes he is in injury prone and it's unfortunate. But you got to understand what a player can bring to the table. You have look at a players strengths instead of labelling players because of the league they play in. Before his current injury he was placed as captain of Hamburg so his level hasn't dropped that significantly he could have been something more now if it wasn't for injuries. 

What have the so called in form players done for us. It's laughable that Bakasetas is ahead of Fetfatzidis a natural winger. Also Tziolis ahead of Samaris and Tachtsidis? Tzavellas over Holebas? Vlachodimos not capped yet and so on and so on.  

• Like it 1

K. Paps wasn't the dude who unironically cost us 2 goals vs Croatia at the 4-1 win of them against us?
The gap between Sokratis - Manolas and the rest is right now huge.

Retsos Hatzidiakos and Mavrpopanos are the upcomming centerbacks we have. If you ask me, noone else SHOULD be in the equasion for now. 

The Vlachodimos insident is not a coach problem and honestly Vlachodimos impact is gonna be minimum. None of hte GK that get called are THAT BAD to say that an even better keeper would make a huge improvement in the way team works.

I don't understand the fuss about Holebas. I agree that he is an excellent player but would you say the same about Otto not taking Zikos at Euro 2004? Same incident and I think Georgatos as well. They both lost a Euro in their name.

I say take the win over Hungary with half our starters injured/out of form and say thank you.

• Like it 1

tsimikas is the holebas imo. very similar style players and dude has a bright future. big fan.

gunna be weird when stafylidis gets back in form. more options is always welcome though and it pushes tzavellas further out.

• Like it 1

We need to start flooding the national teams Instagram, Twitter and fb with "fire skibbe!". I'm not kidding! If u don't have those accounts, make them and let's do this. He needs to go now. This is worse than Ranieri. We had no left side, tsimikas was by himself all game. Tsiolis kept f'ing up and kept passing the ball back even when he had guys going forwards. 

Tzavellas, tsiolis and skibbe have ruined this team. 

Edited by gsots
  • Like it 3

1 hour ago, gsots said:

We need to start flooding the national teams Instagram, Twitter and fb with "fire skibbe!". I'm not kidding! If u don't have those accounts, make them and let's do this. He needs to go now. This is worse than Ranieri. We had no left side, tsimikas was by himself all game. Tsiolis kept f'ing up and kept passing the ball back even when he had guys going forwards. 

Tzavellas, tsiolis and skibbe have ruined this team. 

I already have. Listening to Nova sport they couldn't believe how disjointed this team looked today and how mind boggling skibbes selections were. It's a disaster. Finland could have realistically won by 4 goals they missed a tap in. 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

I already have. Listening to Nova sport they couldn't believe how disjointed this team looked today and how mind boggling skibbes selections were. It's a disaster. Finland could have realistically won by 4 goals they missed a tap in. 

It's so comical, it's literally like it's out of a cartoon cause it's so unbelievable what we all saw today. 

25 minutes ago, gsots said:

It's so comical, it's literally like it's out of a cartoon cause it's so unbelievable what we all saw today. 

It's mind boggling, how can we be losing to Finland and Hungary? Today Greece not only lost but were being dominated by Finland who are ranked 58th in the world. In this group I was thinking we would get 14 points and first place, major disappointment.

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic