Phantis Forums
Sign in to follow this  
athinaios

PAO League Games 2018-2019

I'd love to see something like this next week too against gavroi.

No matter what, this team has proved that it has lots of potential. I also think Donis has found a good chemistry in the club. Shame to have -6 points because owner didn't want to pay....

The team is overachieving, a lot of pundits had them finishing in the bottom 5 of the table.

Well, the day has come.....  We're playing gavroi at their home.  Frankly, I don't know what to expect.  Probably (and hopefully) this team is learning fast.... the PAOK game was a bad one, but against AEK we were better. Oly is a good team but not as dominant as other years, and even though they got a big euro win a few days ago, they also lost to OFI prior to that.

Obviously I'd be ecstatic if we won, but a tie is a great result too.

Is Johansen playing today?

HT OLY 0 PAO  0.. Olympiakos with the best scoring chance Podence saved in the box.

70th minute OLY 0 PAO 1. Great goal Kace beautiful volley top corner.  

FT OLY 1 PAO 1. What a wild finish, Cisse equalized in the 95th. OLY had more quality chances and more of the run of play. Will take a draw for PAO at the Karaiskakis. Bravo...Good job boys!

This team, so far, has outplayed so many other PAO squads of the past when money was no object. IF we had the 6 points, and a deeper bench, we'd be talking about titles this season. PAOK and OLY at home, and AEK at OAKA.   I also see the team winning against the lesser teams when other PAO teams dropped tons of points in the past.

Well done. I couldn't be happier. I'll be ecstatic if we finished top 5 and maybe won the cup...

• Like it 1

Another impressive win 5-1.... OK, against a weak team, but not so long ago PAO struggled with the "easy" teams...

The team keeps rolling along....another strong performance against struggling Apollon. Macheda looks to be a good fit and Insua and Johansson are big contributors as well. What was most impressive is how the team came out in the 2nd half for the kill even though they had the 2-0 lead....last year they would have sat back to protect the lead and quite often paid the price. I had my doubts about Donis but he's done a fantastic job getting everyone on board with his game plans and getting the best from all players. I won't even complain about the preferential treatment of his son....he's not as bad as some make him out to be, just hasn't found his footballing identity yet (probably never will). I had suspicions that Ouzounides would not succeed with a better roster and without the drama so the decision to let him go and hire Donis was the right one (all be it a highly suspicious one at the time). 

I only hope that Alafouzos keeps his paws off the team and lets Donis keep the players already here....even without any signings in January the boys can finish top 5....if there are any reinforcements brought in I hope they are chosen carefully so as not to disturb the current balance and chemistry. 

The team is doing very well with this crop of young players the coming years look bright. Without the 6 point deduction PAO would be tied for second place. Im very proud of this team. GO PAO!

On 11/26/2018 at 10:28 AM, AchillesHeel said:

I only hope that Alafouzos keeps his paws off the team and lets Donis keep the players already here....even without any signings in January the boys can finish top 5....if there are any reinforcements brought in I hope they are chosen carefully so as not to disturb the current balance and chemistry. 

That's the only thing that worries me..........his unpredictable personality and his very poor judgment.

On the other hand, if the team proceeds as it is now, they'll do well, but it'll take several years to be competitive for the title and perhaps in Europe. PAO has to grow and develop their own talents since they can't afford to buy ready talent.  I know money doesn't determine everything in how a club performs, but in this stage and age, it matters a lot. I don't know of any team with a tiny budget that made it big in recent history. Even Leicester had a $40 mil budget in 2015, and their title that year was a fluke.

Great game at Aris. Down 1-0 early, due to an indisputably wrong decision by the ref.  PAO would have lost this game last year (and not only last year). Final 1-1.

Wow. Really impressive. Aris is a quality team. We've lost only 1 game to the leader of the league PAOK at their home turf. IF they continue like this, PAO would easily finish in the top 5 and get rid the UEFA penalty this season. Amazing.  I didn't really know what to expect last summer but if you told me we'd be struggling to avoid relegation after the -6 penalty, I'd have said possibly...

What happened this game was more of a character building lesson....the boys kept playing despite the early penalty calls and while having the bulk of possession the chances were not going their way. Were still able to come away with a point in Vikelidis against a pretty good Aris side, winning the penalty and tying the game while down to 10 men....worked through the adversity and came away with a positive result.

Another gritty performance grinding out a 1-0 win against one of the better GSL teams. A really good team display capped by a fantastic goal. The team was able to hold the lead while absorbing pressure and adding another facet to their play that has been lacking the last few years (holding onto leads). Dioudis had an exceptional match stopping a penalty as well. I think that Donis needs to ride the bench for a while and give some of the other players a go instead (namely Tzandaris).

Well it looks like the honeymoon is over....after a string of expected but apparently unacceptable performances, Donis (the coach) is an ampalo and the kids are a bunch of kakomathimena koproskula. The truth is with no depth and no reinforcements coming in January it was obvious the team's performance would dip. Apparently it came out in Belgium that Piempongsant backed out of the deal with Alafouzos because of PAO's debts and will remain at Mouscron....which again leads us back to Alafouzos' b.s. in regards to what the debts actually are. Gotta hand it to him though...he's a genius at creating smokescreens and diversions to keep the pressure off himself....lots of fans are back to saying "if it wasn't for him...." as if he is the messiah. :confused: 

PAO getting back to winning after a string of disappointing performances. Altman scored a beauty on a great pass by Kourbelis. A much more professional display by all players and much needed win to stay in the hunt for a top 5 finish.

• Like it 1

Well he's staying on at Mouscron in Belgium. The president of the club a while back said that Piempongsant backed out due to the high debts at PAO. Funny that anyone who takes a look at the books backs off as if its the plague, all the while nobody really knows what has been paid and to who.

• Like it 1

PAO ultras invaded the pitch twice vs Olympiakos, second time after going 0-1 down... big punishment on its way

Greek Football just never learns 

Good game today...after a dismal first half the team came alive in the 2nd grabbing a 2-0 win. MVP of the match had to be Insua....non stop work in both ends of the field and scored a picture perfect goal. Bravo to the team.

• Like it 1

Yeah, good show. Too bad this team isn't in 4th place.... they've won enough points if it weren't for the penalties... 😞

Insua said today that he wants to stay.

The problem with this team is that there's no depth, and there's so much you can do with using talent from the academies. You need established, mature, and proven players to compete higher. The bigger contracts though haven't contributed. Only Kourbelis justifies his 500k (?). Anyway, they'll get rid of many of those contract at the end of the season. But, look, even though money isn't everything, it's still a big factor.  Someone else needs to take over from Alafouzos; he'll keep the budget low next season too.   It's sad that we're trying to be in the top 5 to earn a euro spot....  Unless there's a change in ownership next year will be more of the same... no way to compete for the title 😞

• Like it 1