Phantis Forums

PAO League Games 2018-2019

athinaios

Most probably, we won't be starting a new thread for each league game, so I'm doing one for the whole current season. I think it's worth discussing how this team has done 3 for 3, and if I may say so, convincingly.

Against Larissa today, PAO got its first 3 points by winning 3-1, with 2 beautiful goals by Johanson.

It's a very long season ahead and anything could happen, but if we already had 6 points (as we should have), it'd be a different championship this season. I still think the other big 3 teams are stronger but we could be the surprising Leicester of Greece.

You're right, it's more enjoyable to watch this team now than in the past many years. I think the players are trying their hardest, and they know that if a bad result comes, it won't be the end of the world. I just hope Donis above all handles the youngsters well. If, as it seems, PAO will be relying on its youth talent, those who deserve to play should, and not some primadona who transfers into the club. And PAO should not start to have a sell out of young talent.

I don't know if they do it by design now, but it's good that the club didn't have to face the other 3 big teams this early. It's been a confidence booster to win 3 straight games to start the season.

Amazing. 4x4 while the team shows quality.

One thing that may be trouble is that at Larisa and today the team deflates in the second half.  I understand that it may be necessary not to push this young team to maximum, because it's not like we have a deep bench.  I think we have a cup game on Wed or Thu for the cup, and another one on Sat against PAS

Alafouzos is re-evaluating his future at PAO. He used the bad financial situation and all the other restrictions to reduce the budget drastically.  He gambled with the club's reputation and came very, very close to destruction. It was unconscionable. PAO was saved because of the charity of other owners... and political graft.

Now the team, unexpectedly, is doing well, so if attendance remains high, the club will be profitable! No need for Alafouzo to get rid of the club now, especially after he put several millions in the last 6 months. Having a healthy financial footing and making money (even if they break even) is a good position to be in. Why sell?  Plus, there might be more money coming if talent develops and sold for good money in the near future.

As far as Leoforo, DG has to agree to give it up because it doesn't belong to the football club. DG wants OAKA or another home, so if he gets that, he'll give up Leoforos.  I hope if anyone has a sense of history and keeping important places alive, they should turn Leoforos into a nice mini park with a PAO museum. Make it an attraction, green space, something but apts or stores.

PAO beats PAS 2-1 after being down one controversial goal. I thought it was a foul against Dioudis. But, the team plays on its game and prevails with 2 great goals.

OK. We're all excited with the 5x5, but we haven't played the top contenders for euro spot yet. I include  AEK, PAOK, OSFP, Atromitos, Asteras, and even Aris. I'm hoping for a top 5 finish to get rid of the UEFA penalty this season.

This coming Wednesday we have a cup game. Come to think of it, doesn't the cup winner get a euro spot? How about if the winner is also the champion or second, does the cup finalist get a euro spot?

On 9/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, AchillesHeel said:

I think the pivotal matches will be the ones played against Atromitos, Asteras and maybe Aris. We shouldn't expect the team to beat AEK, PAOK or OSFP....not saying we can't but we should focus on a top 5 finish or maybe winning the cup.

Agreed. Those 3 (Ast. Atro. Aris) teams are our competitors this season.

To be honest I didn't know what to expect this season. I thought that with the -6 points, it wasn't a remote possibility that we'd struggle to remain in first div. Now I feel much more confident so my expectations are higher.

• 3 weeks later...

With all the negativity in Greek NT what a great story this is turning into. Donis is doing a great job. I streamed the match last night and I enjoyed the way PAO play. Had 20 shots with 6 on target, 61% possession and averaging 2 goals a game. I would take the starting 11 for PAO in place of the NT all day long. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see something like this next week too against gavroi.

No matter what, this team has proved that it has lots of potential. I also think Donis has found a good chemistry in the club. Shame to have -6 points because owner didn't want to pay....

Well, the day has come.....  We're playing gavroi at their home.  Frankly, I don't know what to expect.  Probably (and hopefully) this team is learning fast.... the PAOK game was a bad one, but against AEK we were better. Oly is a good team but not as dominant as other years, and even though they got a big euro win a few days ago, they also lost to OFI prior to that.

Obviously I'd be ecstatic if we won, but a tie is a great result too.

Is Johansen playing today?

This team, so far, has outplayed so many other PAO squads of the past when money was no object. IF we had the 6 points, and a deeper bench, we'd be talking about titles this season. PAOK and OLY at home, and AEK at OAKA.   I also see the team winning against the lesser teams when other PAO teams dropped tons of points in the past.

Well done. I couldn't be happier. I'll be ecstatic if we finished top 5 and maybe won the cup...

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...