Phantis Forums

Nations League: Greece vs. Hungary (Groupama Arena, Budapest) - September 11, 2018

Argy

2 hours ago, Alphonse said:

What plays off do you guys keep talking about? I’ve looked into this but can not see the play offs that keep getting mentioned, unless you are referring to Euro 2020 playoffs after the Euro Qualifying Group stage

There is two tournements that are happening simultaneously, the one tournament is to determine the nations league winner ( one winner) and the second tournament will have all the group winners play a playoff, for example group c has 4 groups, the 4 winners  that top their group in group C will play a playoff against the other group c winners  to see who is the final winner of group c and they will get a ticket to the euros, same goes with group A,B and D, 4 euro spots up for grabs one from each group.

Edited by J1078

belarus or luxembourg will do it from group d

as for us i still think we will win our group. basically the october games will 90% decide it, since we host hungary and play away against finland. we must win both these games and then it's pretty much settled, having finland and estonia for the last 2 games at home shouldn't be a hard task. 

but that's all up to skibbe and his weird selections.

• Like it 1

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

There is two tournements that are happening simultaneously, the one tournament is to determine the nations league winner ( one winner) and the second tournament will have all the group winners play a playoff, for example group c has 4 groups, the 4 winners  that top their group in group C will play a playoff against the other group c winners  to see who is the final winner of group c and they will get a ticket to the euros, same goes with group A,B and D, 4 euro spots up for grabs one from each group.

Hey @J1078 

This is it half right. 

First part is right about the tournament to see who wins the NL but there is no simultaneous playoff with the winners.

If you win your group you gain promotion to next group and secure a playoff spot AFTER the Euro qualifying campaign IF you fail to qualify for EURO 2020, that’s when the playoffs start between 16 teams with the 4 best failed qualifiers from each pot

Hope that makes sense.

Our so-called world class CB pairing in Manolas and Sokratis are having issues keeping the attack from getting in behind them.  It has happened afew times now and they need to fortify the goal line like before  cause I also agree that Siovas should be in the squad-at least and Retsos when he gets back. 

Time to try someone like Manos for Bakasetas, bring in Galanopoulos for Tziolis and bring in Stafylidis for Tzavellas, or the coach is a tool. I am going back to mopping and washing or Soula will click it.

Edited by ausgreek

our cbs were in no fault in these beautiful goals. tzavellas is to blame in both of them, as well as our midfield in the second one.

i agree stafylidis is useful but he doesn't play in augsburg and i doubt this will change in the next month. he can only hope for a trasnfer on december since his contract is up next summer. same goes for samaris, otherwise both of them would be a part of the team. 

zeca and mpakakis will be back from their injuries as well as karelis will. 

i hope we have no other injuries for the upcoming games.

You can't blame the centre backs when you concede such goals. Even the best of defenders will get to concede, it's unrealistic to expect a clean sheet in every game. Tzavellas takes the blame for the horrendous defending in the second goal, his position is not covered up and moments after that he gets beat by his opposition which lead to an uncontested shot by the Hungarian player.

We are not a team made for more offensive football even tho i would love to see it.. Lets think about this logically, when we were a defence first team we were averaging roughly a goal a game and not conceding, We try to be more offensive and we are STILL averiging a goal agame but now we are conceding more then before... I hate the boring defensive minded football but i feel that's the only way this team is going to get the wins.. By defending and then scorning a goal and sitting back.. I hate to say it but that is the reality of this team..  Think about it, we have 1 striker that is slow, we have a below average midfield and our strongest position is defence...

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2

we were unlucky against hungary. it's not like our defence was horrible overall, these moments always happen. we should have won at least 0-2, the home team didn't get past midfield in the second half and had 7 shots on target, 5 of which came the in this memorable second goal.

i believe we'll beat them at home as we'll do with estonia and finland in athens. key game will be against finland away, if we win this i say we top the group with 5 wins. 

• Like it 2

On 9/15/2018 at 1:35 PM, J1078 said:

We are not a team made for more offensive football even tho i would love to see it.. Lets think about this logically, when we were a defence first team we were averaging roughly a goal a game and not conceding, We try to be more offensive and we are STILL averiging a goal agame but now we are conceding more then before... I hate the boring defensive minded football but i feel that's the only way this team is going to get the wins.. By defending and then scorning a goal and sitting back.. I hate to say it but that is the reality of this team..  Think about it, we have 1 striker that is slow, we have a below average midfield and our strongest position is defence...

not even strongest point is defense. our strongest point is cb. our fullbacks aren't that great... staf and bakakis I guess but I don't think there's ever been a game where they started. Holebas is our best fullback and is not even in the picture.

• Like it 1

Our obvious strength is Cbs then it's Gk in my opinion. The positions we are most thin at are ST and CDM/CM. This is what we need to fix. In my opinion we don't have enough quality at CDM/CM. This is where Androutsos comes in as I hope he could be our answer in this position. I do believe we have enough wingers we are just not utilising them. CAM I feel good about I think we are set their for another 5-6 years. We have plenty of Lbs, RB is a bit of a concern. Bakakis is really our only hope for the next few years. Torosidis should be our back up for now. 

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic