Phantis Forums

Nations League: Greece vs. Hungary (Groupama Arena, Budapest) - September 11, 2018

Argy

1 minute ago, J1078 said:

I don’t know how you guys can see the positive in losing on the road to a Hungarian team With out there fans in an empty stadium.. I liked somethings we did and this also better show Skibbe once and for all never to play Tzavellas again.. I did like Kourbelas and Bouchalakis in the mid.. but to me if we can only score 1 Against Estonia how the hell are we ever going to beat teams like Finland and Hungary who themselves aren’t good teams? If we can’t make it out of Group C how the hell do we expect to qualify in the Euros campaign?? It’s the same story “we had chances but couldn’t finish” it’s like a broken record.. bottom line we can’t score enough goals to put teams away and be consistent enough..

Exactly. How can this atrocity be spun positively. It is what it is. Another utter failure by Skibbe and the NT. 

1 minute ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

6 shots on target and 5 narrowly out really seems like you re baiting. We haven't had such a good offensive play since Belgium in my humble opinion. And we didn't play against a Kafeneio. Worse team than us but definately no kafeneio.

I don't agree with your perspective. They parked the bus and allowed us to play. We had some half chances and missed. We rely too much on crosses and don't have the spine to go at them via the centre of the park. Hungary aren't bad. A draw I would have taken but not a loss in an empty stadium. 

3 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

pelkinho was a beast out there for sure.

after this game I'd like to see something like this

mitroglou

pelkas fortounis donis

boucha kourbelis

lyko sok man bakakis

barkas

subs

laz

toro

Bouchalakis blew the last chance we had at an attack in the final minute. Weak. 

• Like it 2

Just now, Argy said:

I don't agree with your perspective. They parked the bus and allowed us to play. We had some half chances and missed. We rely too much on crosses and don't have the spine to go at them via the centre of the park. Hungary aren't bad. A draw I would have taken but not a loss in an empty stadium. 

Bro halftime chances were 4 on target for us and 2 outside. They were not parking the bus till 65. Please stop acting that miserably over a match. We got 4 more easier (considering Hunns are home and Finland ain't Huns level) to prove we deserve to go first. I agree that we should be pessimistic after this match but I find Skibbe nowhere near being the first one to blame for it.

• Like it 1

Bouchalakis really (instead Zeca)? Tzavellas? Oikonomou instead Siovas? Kourbelis (I realize somebody must play second DM alongside Zeca)? Kolovetsios and the likes in the squad? Useless tits Donis & Bakasetas? Tziolis? What the F*** was this again? Pathetic weak team reflects the personality of our head coach.

Just now, Argy said:

Bouchalakis blew the last chance we had at an attack in the final minute. Weak. 

I actually decided to give Bouchalakis my whole attention.

Reason why I like him : He is not afraid to do the hard pass. The one that if it goes through has a huge possibility to unlock a defence. This is also probably why Skibbe and Olympiakos like him. He is not afraid to make a mistake and he does not seem to be psychologically affected by doing it.
Reason why one should not like him: He will eventually make mistakes after so many trials of hard passes, which can destroy an attack or even bring the oppossition on the counter.

Maybe with maturity he will be better. More involvedi n the game than Tachtsidis and has similar attributes to tachtsidis. I think he should be considered a top choise when we wanna play vs minnows (yeah we lost today but they re still minnows) like Hungary and Estonia.

• Like it 1

Lazaros hacked to death all game. All for what - they receive 1 maybe 2 yellow cards. Torosidis does a m*****a pass and one of our def mids brings one of their players down, first miss timed tackle for the match. Yellow valto sto golo sou. The ref gives tsavela a yellow. It wasnt a dive it was a penalty. He was body checked in the box. Not sure what game you were all watching but all i saw was a gypsy wearing black sympathetic to a bunch of nazis. Our nazi is a nice one however. We must use players from big european leagues rather that the local players. Dont get me wrong Lazaro and Fortouni worked their hearts out. The GK did everything he could but players like Donis and Mitroglou have to start and keep playing them until they are either cooked or til the end of the match. Zeca too is a must even though Skibbe doesnt know how to use him. We have to convince Holebas to return, maybe disguise Skibbe and Siovas should have been part of this squad. Do not disregard players playing in holland and belgium, Those leagues are better than the greek league. I was proud of how we went about it but you cant beat agendas no matter how well you play.

• Like it 1

As a team, we are improving.  They didn't let us dominate them, we were in control the whole time outside of a few minutes in the first half.  Teams that deserve to win do not always win, there was a bit of luck on their side.  Even big teams lay eggs against supposedly inferior teams. If we would bury all our shots, we would have been in Group A.  While I do not think anyone should be happy with this result, we did show attacking play and did have some nice passes.  The two goals we conceded, they would have been scored on anyone.

• Like it 1

We were in control against Estonia as well but our lack of finishing will always keep teams in the game and give them a chance to to tie or pull out a win when they don’t deserve it.. Estonia was one shot on target away from gaining a point, look how hard we have to work just to get 1 goal.. we know no matter who we put in this line up we will always be like this.. At some point Skibbe needs to pick a line up and stick with it becasue these guys need to start to get use to each other.. We did have majority of control but all it took Hungary is pretty much two dangerous rushes to score 2 goals, something we CANT DO..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

Fortounis and Pelkas had great games tho, I should admit. Barkas performed a string of fine saves. Manolas was good until he had to be subbed off. Tzavellas was very mediocre again. Bouchalakis too. He tried but he aint good enough. Why does Skibbe want to start him? Why did he want to go with Vellios and Diamantakos? Why is Tziolis ALWAYS there?

• Like it 2

Next match is Hungary again Stomp them. and then it's just the Finns. A sweet home game vs Estonia to finish the run.

We re still in it. I'd rather take a set back with good football that proves that "we re getting there" with there being playing component vs mediocre teams that give us possession.

WE CAN'T BE UNLUCKY FOR THE WHOLE 6 MATCHES. We were already in 2/6.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

^No we Can’t be unlucky all the time but after a disastrous Euro campaign and missing the Euros and missing the World Cup I think losing to s%$#! teams like Hungary is very concerning and yes we have looked better then other games but the bottom line is after 2 games we are in 3rd of 4 teams and only ahead of Estonia, this to me is a step backwards once again not a step forward.. What would we do if we were in Group b?? Would we even win 1 game because all those teams are better then Hungary.. maybe tomorrow I’ll see things differently but right now I’m pissed and I don’t see the optimism you boys do..

• Like it 1

Just now, J1078 said:

^No we Can’t be unlucky all the time but after a disastrous Euro campaign and missing the Euros and missing the World Cup I think losing to s%$#! teams like Hungary is very concerning and yes we have looked better then other games but the bottom line is after 2 games we are in 3rd of 4 teams and only ahead of Estonia, this to me is a step backwards once again not a step forward.. What would we do if we were in Group b?? Would we even win 1 game because all those teams are better then Hungary.. maybe tomorrow I’ll see things differently but right now I’m pissed and I don’t see the optimism you boys do..

What's the point of getting anxious about being 3rd at this moment, when after 3 matches you can end up being first? It currently just means we need to narrow down the losses from the Finns which is nothing IMPOSSIBLE with the full meaning of the word.

48 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

We had the shots, we had the chances - they didn't fall today.  We played well and dominated at times, just couldn't close.  We play like this, chances are we win 8 out of 10 times.  Both goals we gave up were really good goals.  That's the way it goes sometimes.

Thank you, good to read some level headed comments here compared to some melt downs on social media.

The team looks better overall IMO and gives me more hope than before as we dominated play for the most part.

Some are really criticising Kourmbelis & Bouchalakis but I think that’s rather unfair, we can’t complain all the time! Personally I don’t mind the two, it’s their first few games for us and it’s already helped us improve our game from such a flat midfield that can get out run easily.

Donis was bid invisible up front, considering he was fresher though, I would have liked to seen how he could have gone on the wing in second half.

We move on now, it’s a costly loss but we continue to dominate play the results got to come 

• Like it 1

We were hard done to lose today at the very least we deserved a draw.Again another great first half offensively and moving of the ball, but we are always stuck with 1 goal for our efforts.  Hungary had 3 good scoring opportunities to our 8 or 9. The second goal we conceded was ridiculous, there forward dancing around us with shot after shot coming in and the defence cant clear the ball??  We needed a draw minimum vs a Hungary who have a couple of all say good players and who played in an empty stadium. Now the team gets to play in Greece and they need to beat Finland,  that's what the focus has to be.

• Like it 1

28 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

Fortounis and Pelkas had great games tho, I should admit. Barkas performed a string of fine saves. Manolas was good until he had to be subbed off. Tzavellas was very mediocre again. Bouchalakis too. He tried but he aint good enough. Why does Skibbe want to start him? Why did he want to go with Vellios and Diamantakos? Why is Tziolis ALWAYS there?

Fortounis was creating everything great dribbling,  free kicks as well. He had a chance early but shot just wide. He's been our best player the last 2 games. 

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic