Phantis Forums

Nations League: Estonia vs. Greece(A Le Coq Arena, Tallinn)

Alphonse

3 hours ago, georgelaz said:

pelkas brings speed/hustle that fortounis doesn't. fortounis brings technical skill. mantalos is a similar player to fortounis but when both are in form i'd give the edge to fortounis.

it should be pelkas fortounis lazaros up top based on current form. fortounis and laz work well together at oly too.

Donis must be integrated into the starting XI. Form goes a long way and is integral, but so does skill and talent, and I believe Donis has more of that than Pelkas and will catch up to Lazaros and Fortounis soon enough. I also think he has more game breaking ability than the above 3. He is playing in a much more competitive league versus and alongside better players and that goes a long way. The tactics, club culture, training facilities, staff, professionalism, game pace of the Bundesliga are not found in Greece. For me, as long as Donis is getting minutes at Stuttgart, he should be one of the first names on the game sheet for Greece, and not wasted on the bench like he was yesterday. Let us see what happens vs Hungary. 

Interesting comments all round. When Donis is at his best he is our best attacking player. With in form Fortounis and Donis alongside we can be very dangerous. Pelkas should be in this team no doubt. 

I believe Pelkas could be better than Fortounis and Mantalos. That's a big statement I know. But I am seeing things in Pelkas that are vital for this team. Did anyone see in the last minute of the 1st half what he did? Estonia had a corner in our box and somehow in a blink of an eye he took the ball from the Estonian and ran the whole field like he was going to score by himself until the defender caught up with him. I like seeing things like that and I believe only he and Donis can do that unexpectedly. 

I like how Fortounis is playing now. Dropping in and collecting the ball. Making good passes. In that one on one he had I believe he made the safer or better option to shoot but I think he could have played that pass as he knew Pelkas was their. It would have been risky on the angle though. 

• Like it 2

13 minutes ago, Boxou said:

i want to believe that skibbe had something like that in mind when talked about changes;

mparkas

mpakakis sokratis manolas lykogiannis

zeca kourmpelis

lazaros fortounis donis

mitroglou

Was he talking about changes for the Hungary match?

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

Not sure how true it is but I heard the Hungary game will be played in an empty stadium due to punishment from a previous incident.. This would be great for us if they don't have their crowd pumping them up..

I think that’s from incidents with a match vs Romania. That would be a bonus for us going into Hungary.

I think toro should keep his starting position next game cuz he was a beast out there. sub in bakakis in the 60th as he tires.

I think by the end of this season we'll have a new good striker. maybe manos or vergos. shame karelis isn't back as he's our only other striker I'd feel comfortable having up top. 

Donis is great but as a single striker he doesn't give me as much confidence and much rather have him as a supporting role or winger.

I think our NT has a curse where it takes players forever to play at their club level. I recall lotsa strikers struggling to perform till about 20-30 caps. Mitro for sure was one of these and I think salps/samaras/gekas/charisteas were like this as well. Bakasetas can be a decent cf but hasn't found his legs yet for the NT. he also has never given a full game from what I recall in his natural position which I think is more a cam/cf between.

kourbelis and bakakis are my favourite new ones that will hopefully become part of the 11.

last campaign I liked donis and retsos.

next we need a new striker and we're pretty solid. not sold on Koulouris and don't think he's our future.

Edited by georgelaz

8 minutes ago, Chris Tsamados said:

What happened to Karelis he came in to the team and scored on his debut but then seemed to go off the boil?

Hopefully Donis will step up soon. 

probably injured. apparently signed to PAOK though now. Prijo is on fire though for them so will be hard to win the starting spot. Would've rather have him back at PAO

Karelis does some things even better than Mitro. Volleys, speed, positioning might be better at those. 

Edited by georgelaz

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic