Phantis Forums

Nations League: Estonia vs. Greece(A Le Coq Arena, Tallinn)

Alphonse

We all know Skibbe should leave and that he is not a good manager but we should be grateful that we won. No draw, no loss, just a win. I don't know what he sees In Bakasetas, Tziolis and so on but a win is all I ask for. Things can be better thats for sure but I'll take a win over anything. 

It would have been nice if the team scored a couple more goals which they deserved but they got the win which is the most important thing and played great attacking football in the first half. Some crazy results Switzerland dismantled Iceland 6-0?? Also Wales 4-1 win over Ireland. 

The tzatziki in my yeeros is running down the sides really fast at  your passion Rocka u great Feller!! Donis and Pelkas on the wings with Lazaros just behind them.

Pelkas would be a shade behind Fortounis for CAM too. This should be Tziolara''s and Torosidis's last campaign, I hope they keep doing their best till their time is up at the end of it.

Guys it seems Santos was always right about Tachtsidis. He was never good enough between 2012 and 2014 to replace age old Katsouranis. He is about 27 and plays for a mediocre English Championship team. Same goes for Samaris who has obviously lost it...

The consequence is that our midfield will necessarily consist of inexperienced players like Kourbelis Galanopoulos & Bouchalakis. Lets hope they can prove themselves superior to Ninis/Fetfatzidis/Tachtsidis/Samaris & Co. Wed need midfielders like Karagounis, Basinas, the young Katsouranis etc.

I feel confident for the Hungary match. If we play like we did against Estonia we should be fine. We need to add more goals though. Kourbelis looked good today. He must start from now on. With Galanopoulos next to him our midfield improves. 

Bouchalakis needs to do better, but I'd rather him than Tziolis. Lykogiannis I think had an off day. I'm with @Rockafeller Skank about Pelkas. Give him more opportunities and you will see the best of him. Mantalos is a smart player but he shouldn't be on the wing. Fortounis scored so he will start again. I wonder if Skibbe will play Lazaros or Donis. I like Donis more because of his pace and his willingness to take the ball all the way. 

We might see this against Hungary:

Barkas

Bakakis Manolas Sokratis Lykogiannis

Kourbelis Zeca

Lazaros Fortounis Pelkas

Mitroglou

I have a feeling Mantalos will start on the right though. 

Ιt is indeed possible that Skibbe was "saving" players like Lazaros , Zeka , Donis for Hungary. I hope I am right.

Lykogiannis never had an impact whenever playing. Stafylidis on his bad day is beast compared to him.

I am afraid that if Zeka is fit the one getting kicked from the line up - despite being very good (defensively at least) is gonna be Kourbelis.

• Like it 1

6 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Always look for Mike Loupnikis highlights. Guy is a beast.

Here you go. Nice hightlights and good track!

BTW for people thinking Fortunis should have squared his one on one, you can see from this he shouldn't and had to take on the chance himself. There was a defender in the way of the square pass and Pelkas was further behind him. 

• Thanks 1

skibbe said that donis had a minnow injury and that's what he didn't play, much like zeca and mpakakis. i expect all of them to start against hungary.

btw already for this 2 qualifiers we have many absenses around the team. stafylidis, retsos, mpakakis, papadopoulos, zeca, donis, even mitroglou and bouchalakis who got injured during the game as well as galanopoulos who is suspended and karelis, samaris, gianniotas who are out of form. 

in the next game i expect;

mparkas

mpakakis sokratis manolas lykogiannis

zeca kourmpelis

lazaros fortounis donis 

mitroglou

1 hour ago, Chris Tsamados said:

BTW for people thinking Fortunis should have squared his one on one, you can see from this he shouldn't and had to take on the chance himself. There was a defender in the way of the square pass and Pelkas was further behind him. 

https://imgur.com/a/28hs0cJ I am not allowed to post picturesfor some reason Idk what im doing wrong. Follow this link.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

Whether you win 1 0 or 10 0, a screamer from 30 yards out, or a deflection inside the 6, the result is the same. 3 points. I don’t know why all the hate on lyko. In the end, the defence did their job. You can’t do any better than a clean sheet. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

Whether you win 1 0 or 10 0, a screamer from 30 yards out, or a deflection inside the 6, the result is the same. 3 points. I don’t know why all the hate on lyko. In the end, the defence did their job. You can’t do any better than a clean sheet. 

Lyko and Bouchalakis lots of mistakes sold the ball in the midfield.

Stafylidis used to be very strong offensively helping the team up front as a LB. Lykogiannis really did nothing compared to him. It's just that Stafylidis makes the left flank work much better and the comparison is bad for Lykogiannis. We were only attacking from the right flank.

• Like it 1

I'm on the side that Fortounis should have made the pass but a shot on net from the close is never a horrible idea, Also if he makes the pass and it does get deflected or doesn't get through somehow we would all be screaming why didn't he shoot in that position, so even tho I think the pass was the play I cant really blame him for taking the shot either..  Lyko deserves another shot but he needs to look better as his mistakes against a stronger side could have really cost us, same goes for Buchalakis, who to me was probably our worst player on the night. Kourbelis and zeca deserve a look together. If Skibee is going to continue to play Tziolis (which we don't want) then have him come in late at  near the end of the game not as a starter.  I'm really hoping Donis, Laz, Zeca start against Hungary..  To one of the previous posters who said weather we win 1-0 or 10-0 a win is a win, although I agree a win is key I believe goal differential plays a part of the nations league if 2 teams are tied at the end.

• Like it 1

41 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I'm on the side that Fortounis should have made the pass but a shot on net from the close is never a horrible idea, Also if he makes the pass and it does get deflected or doesn't get through somehow we would all be screaming why didn't he shoot in that position, so even tho I think the pass was the play I cant really blame him for taking the shot either..  Lyko deserves another shot but he needs to look better as his mistakes against a stronger side could have really cost us, same goes for Buchalakis, who to me was probably our worst player on the night. Kourbelis and zeca deserve a look together. If Skibee is going to continue to play Tziolis (which we don't want) then have him come in late at  near the end of the game not as a starter.  I'm really hoping Donis, Laz, Zeca start against Hungary..  To one of the previous posters who said weather we win 1-0 or 10-0 a win is a win, although I agree a win is key I believe goal differential plays a part of the nations league if 2 teams are tied at the end.

I agree goal differential does come into play somewhere down the line, but if you win all your games 1 0 or 10 0 doesn’t matter. Only comes into play if you drop points. So hopefully they don’t drop points. Also I think the first tiebreaker for uefa is head to head. Whereas FIFA is goal differential. 

• Like it 1

Guys, it's Estonia. If Greece plays this quality of football versus a real team, then they are going to be embarrassed.

How would you all rank the three Greek attacking mids? I would go: 

1. Fortounis

2. Pelkas

3. Mantalos

All 3 are good players but their skill sets seem redundant and thus probably should be starting together

pelkas brings speed/hustle that fortounis doesn't. fortounis brings technical skill. mantalos is a similar player to fortounis but when both are in form i'd give the edge to fortounis.

it should be pelkas fortounis lazaros up top based on current form. fortounis and laz work well together at oly too.

Interesting comments 

My 5 cents

Barkas - was a beast, very good at corners which is something we are not used to

Lykogiannis - He is not usually that poor, has more to offer

Bouchalakis - Perhaps I missed his many mistakes... the first 30 minutes of us doing quick passes and creating space really impressed my, he and Kourmbelis did so well there, need to see more of him. Better than Tziolis who nearly put an Estonian through for a 1-1 too

Pelkas - does a lot of running that creates space for us, don’t underestimate this

Bakasetas - yet another ordinary NT performance...  Koulouris not much better

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic