Phantis Forums

CL–PO-L2: PAOK - Benfica Lisbon (29-Aug-18, 22:00 EEST)

Blackhawk

Exactly. Need to look forward. Had the title last season not been stolen, we would have been in the group stage today for certain.

Even though we had a tough path to reach the goal we came really close. Nobody gave the team a chance when we were drawn against Basel. Proud of the team. Came real close and with a little luck we might have been able to accomplish the dream. Had we made it 2:0 when Limnios had the chance we might have seen a different outcome. The tying goal and the big mistake by Paschalakis completely demoralized the team and the player lost all the composure.

• Like it 1

All goals conceded were from individual mistakes, Lucescu has nothing to feel bad about (except maybe for not starting Warda). Limnios should be dropped now. I said it before and I will say it again, you cannot expect to beat Benfica with Canias in central midfield. This player should be used on a rotational basis for when we play Levadiakos and OFI. We need a better option as soon as possible.

With regards to fans, we all say things in the heat of the moment. We all knew Benfica were favourites tonight and we're no doubt disappointed that we fell at the last hurdle (again!). The defending was absolutely comical. If you are going to defend like that in the CL you will rightfully be punished (as we just witnessed). For all the amazing performances he has put in, Paschalakis' performance tonight was as if he was playing football for the first time.

The last two games showed that Matos cannot play at CL Group Stage level. He was instrumental against Basel and Spartak, however in the two games against Benfica (who is definitely a level above the previous two) he could not do his usual taking on defenders. He will no doubt be back to taking them on in the Europa League, which we all know is a terrible competition and only gets good from the Quarter Final onwards. I am not saying that he isn't good enough - he is a great player to have! He just isn't CL level.

Warda needs to be starting. He plays without fear and is always looking to go forward.

All in all it except for the first 20 minutes, it was a dreadful performance. A bad day at the office so to say.

I did not expect this result at all, and it does not display what really happened in th pitch. Your defensive sector comitted too many error and we juts tookadvantage of it altough we neve had the game under control, you could have scored in any moment.
We have better player and it makes difference, as a team we are completely trash any team can score against us, any team can troubles us.
Good luck i the GSL and Europa League. 

As i said before, i'm also a PAOK fan and i will support you in Europa League. This year you will finally Won Greek League and next year you will be on Champions League.

A lot of lizzards (sporting fans) came here saying that they will support you, but they are just interested on Benfica losing.

LIZZARDS this is PAOK not your shitty high class fans, you are losers as always!

• Like it 2

Dude, I know you're annoyed but don't get angry with Benfica fans. They are more than welcome and I have even met Apollo Vaz who is a sound guy. We gifted them easy goals, if you're going to be frustrated then be frustrated with our players.

• Like it 1

I'm responding to his comments toward Sporting Fans.  I'm not annoyed by the loss....I expected it.

My wife's whole family is Benfica, Benfica fans don't bother me.  I watched the match last week in a Benfica bar, in Portugal with my PAOK jersey on.

So many Benfica fans were so butt hurt that Wernbloom said they aren't a top tier European Club, which they're not,  and so many of them have this arrogance.  Whatever....they're skoulikia to me.

Edited by BostonThanatos

Boston your wife is Portugish? How come this connection with Portugal? And being a Sporting fan, that's also interesting.

For the game, I am very proud. We are PAOK and we enjoy going the tough route. We lost the championship last year, we lost from Benfica with a humiliating score, but yet, here we are, feeling proud for our team's performances. We play solid football, we attach, we don't hide, and we try to dominate (besides the first 60 minutes in Lisbon). I love that. And I think the ending will be great. Last year we were eliminated by Estersud, but the finale of the season brought so much proud to us. This year we didn't make it to CL, I hope the end of the year will bring even more proud with the league title and a solid run in the Europa League.

ΠΑΟΚ είμαστε για όλα αυτά που δεν έγιναν. Προσωπικά δεν έχω δει ούτε πρωταθλήματα, ούτε Τσάμπιονς Λιγκ. ΠΑΟΚ είμαστε για την τρέλα που έχουμε στο κεφάλι μας και περήφανοι για κάποιες μεγάλες επιτυχίες, στην Ελλάδα και στην Ευρώπη. Η ομάδα μας είναι δυναατή και έχουμε όλα τα φόντα για να πάμε εξαιρετικά στο Ουέφα. ΠΑΟΚΑΡΑ σ' αγαπώ!

• Like it 1

Absolutely gutted after last night and so disappointing that it had to end the way it did with so many individual errors. Make no mistake though, there was no embarrassment at all.. we played brilliantly for the most part and looked like we were going to dominate them early on. We shot ourselves in both feet and that's the hardest thing to take.

The way our fans stayed to the end and kept singing is one of the reasons that this club is so special and unique. It must be immense for the players knowing this is the backing they get. There should be no fear for them with that support behind them, as long as they give their all.

As frustrating and gut wrenching as that was, i doubt anyone will be hurting more than the players are right now.

Win the league this year, become heroes and keep building for champions league level and a sustainable future.  I just hope the manager can pick them up in time for the league.

• Like it 1

9 hours ago, Yiankos said:

Boston your wife is Portugish? How come this connection with Portugal? And being a Sporting fan, that's also interesting.

For the game, I am very proud. We are PAOK and we enjoy going the tough route. We lost the championship last year, we lost from Benfica with a humiliating score, but yet, here we are, feeling proud for our team's performances. We play solid football, we attach, we don't hide, and we try to dominate (besides the first 60 minutes in Lisbon). I love that. And I think the ending will be great. Last year we were eliminated by Estersud, but the finale of the season brought so much proud to us. This year we didn't make it to CL, I hope the end of the year will bring even more proud with the league title and a solid run in the Europa League.

ΠΑΟΚ είμαστε για όλα αυτά που δεν έγιναν. Προσωπικά δεν έχω δει ούτε πρωταθλήματα, ούτε Τσάμπιονς Λιγκ. ΠΑΟΚ είμαστε για την τρέλα που έχουμε στο κεφάλι μας και περήφανοι για κάποιες μεγάλες επιτυχίες, στην Ελλάδα και στην Ευρώπη. Η ομάδα μας είναι δυναατή και έχουμε όλα τα φόντα για να πάμε εξαιρετικά στο Ουέφα. ΠΑΟΚΑΡΑ σ' αγαπώ!

Yeah she is.  Everyone from her mothers side is Benfica, but my father in law is Sporting, and he's the man, so I've been sporting the last 19 years. 

Lucescu is a defeatist. He talked up Benfica being strong team in interview etc not owing fact that PAOK players made bad judgement calls (two penalties and goalie error)Lucescu also didn't play more conservative counter attacking style after going up 1-0 big mistake. Benfica is not European powerhouse and I would not be surprised to see them out first round of group stage. 

Edited by jason

Typically, Porto/Benfica are considered top 20 teams.  The problem with them is that they sell their players and don't replace them with the same quality. While the 4-1 score line does reflect yesterday's game, it could have reflected the previous game.  All in all, PAOK imploded, they had the game and lost it.  They should do well in the Europa, they do have quality.

Let's play a game.  In hindsight, looking at the mistakes that were made, if you could go back in time what would your starting 11 look like?

Here's mine:

-----------------------------------REY---------------------------------

MATOS-------VARELLA----CHATZRIDI----CRESPO

----------------------CANAS---------MAURICIO--------------

VIEIRINHA--------------PELKAS-----------------WARDA

------------------------------PRIJOVIC----------------------------

-Rey because Paschalakis was pretty bad

-Chatzeridi because his size would have helped on the header that Varella let through

-Crespo to let Vieirinha move up, and Warda because I think he's better than Limnios and El Kaddouri.

1 hour ago, jason said:

Lucescu is a defeatist. He talked up Benfica being strong team in interview etc not owing fact that PAOK players made bad judgement calls (two penalties and goalie error)Lucescu also didn't play more conservative counter attacking style after going up 1-0 big mistake. Benfica is not European powerhouse and I would not be surprised to see them out first round of group stage.  

Defeatist? I would view that as good management. The players that made mistakes will be distraught and will be needing picked off the ground. The last thing they need is to be publicly blamed and criticised. 

What is the point in highlighting individuals and their errors in public, hours after a game? What good would come of that?

They will talk about it in private and stick together which is important, make no mistake that everyone in Greece is against us now! The spirit in that dressing room is key and seems to be fantastic.. Lucescu will be a big and very important part of that.

3 hours ago, BostonThanatos said:

Let's play a game.  In hindsight, looking at the mistakes that were made, if you could go back in time what would your starting 11 look like?

Here's mine:

-----------------------------------REY---------------------------------

MATOS-------VARELLA----CHATZRIDI----CRESPO

----------------------CANAS---------MAURICIO--------------

VIEIRINHA--------------PELKAS-----------------WARDA

------------------------------PRIJOVIC----------------------------

-Rey because Paschalakis was pretty bad

-Chatzeridi because his size would have helped on the header that Varella let through

-Crespo to let Vieirinha move up, and Warda because I think he's better than Limnios and El Kaddouri.

I only agree with starting Warda in place of Limnios and to a lesser extent with Vierinha moving up if we had solid LB to take his spot (which we don't).

- Paschalakis has been solid the past few games, so there is no way Lucescu would have started Rey over him.

- Varela has been one of our best players and he cost us two goals. Really bad day at the office for him. Also Crespo was our best player in Lisbon, so I am not sure Khacheridi could have come in for him.