Phantis Forums

2018-19 Season

Mitsos

As a side note, it’s interesting what’s happening with Panathinaikos this season.  If they continue with their good run, I hope this inspires other teams (I’m looking at you Aris) to have some faith in their youth and give them a go.  Added bonus is you don’t have to pay big wages.  But, this takes having a very good manager who is given freedom and time to build.  People forget when Alex Ferguson took over Man Utd he didn’t win jack for the first few years.

Another thought.  PAOK has good youth these days.  If I was Aris I’d be raiding the best youth of not only PAOK but all teams in Greece.  I think a lot of these players could be tempted if offered first team football and a professional contract.

29 minutes ago, Bananas said:

Seems like a brain dead decision.  Typical Greek mentality.  So over this crap.  Was the team in danger of being relegated ?  That would be the only valid reason for even considering such a move.

Let’s see who the replacement is.  Hopefully there isn’t too much disruption.

And all this because Aris lost to PAOK, AEK and Olympiakos.  Did the president expect to beat these teams ?  If so, he’s delusional.  If anything, he should be happy because Aris played good solid football and now after these games you can identify where the team is lacking and reinforce accordingly.  But hey, that would be logical.

Once more, you are absolutely right! BUT, don't forget that this is Greek football we are talking about, the motives of club owners decisions are not always obvious...

28 minutes ago, Bananas said:

As a side note, it’s interesting what’s happening with Panathinaikos this season.  If they continue with their good run, I hope this inspires other teams (I’m looking at you Aris) to have some faith in their youth and give them a go.  Added bonus is you don’t have to pay big wages.  But, this takes having a very good manager who is given freedom and time to build.  People forget when Alex Ferguson took over Man Utd he didn’t win jack for the first few years.

Another thought.  PAOK has good youth these days.  If I was Aris I’d be raiding the best youth of not only PAOK but all teams in Greece.  I think a lot of these players could be tempted if offered first team football and a professional contract.

Aris already tried a couple of times this recipe and the results were not satisfactory at all.

Moreover, when you try to build a team with many young players, patience and time are needed. In Greece fans -especially of big clubs- demand results and don't understand long-term planning!

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Emperor said:

Έχοντας πρόεδρο τον Καρυπίδη, θα πρέπει να είμαστε το λιγότερο ανήσυχοι για το μέλλον της ομάδας. Ο σύλλογος κινδυνεύει για άλλη μια φορά να τρυπηθεί από μέσα!

Τι εννοείς? Περιουσία του είναι ο Άρης.... Επιχειρηματικά τι νόημα έχει να πάρει το σύλλογο και να χώσει εκατομμύρια στην Γ και στη Β για να τον τρυπήσει όταν πάει με αξιώσεις για Ευρώπη στην Α, όπου θα μπορούσε να πουλήσει σε πολύ ψηλό σημείο?

Εγώ προσωπικά πιστεύω ότι όντας Ελληνάρας, δεν έχει υπομονή και δεν ξέρει τι θα πει να κάνεις σχεδιασμό να φτιάξεις κάτι μεγαλόπνοο. Knee jerk reaction ήταν η απόλυση. Δε νομίζω έχει άλλες προεκτάσεις. Απλά βλακεία και ελληνική νοοτροπία.

For the sake of argument, I'll try and make sense of the decision made by Aris to relieve Herrera of his duties.  If you asked me after Aris clinched promotion what my expectations were for the return to the SL, I probably would have said a top 8 finish would be satisfying.  I don't think it's unfair to say the bar was raised after the transfers this offseason along of course with the way the team has performed up until this point.  Of the 5 loses only the game against AEK was out of reach, the rest should have been avoided.  No doubt they play soccer that is pleasing to the eye but unfortunately that style has not produced results.  I get losing to the top 3 teams was not unexpected but the loses to PAS and Panionios followed by the others, in the same manner no less, is why the move was made.  As fans we should demand more from our teams, realistically of course, and I think a 5th place finish should be the goal.  In my opinion, the team lacked in confidence with all the close loses so maybe the players stopped listening to Herrera.

• Like it 1

I always enjoyed talking football to/with you guys at old forum, at this one, all these years. More than a decade.

But I find strange how I almost always agreed with 90% of you when it comes to rating our players, roster overall, one by one player every season. We knew what their pros and cons were, how they breathe.

But when it comes to coaches, actually I kinda have had different opinions with more than 50% of you. Maybe, because I am Balkanian from my birth and am linked to living at this peninsula of Balkans whole my life and, although I am not a typical citizen of this area, but probably still do have some common characteristics. ?

Having this introduction, when majority supported Bajević, I didn't like nor rate him, when people supported Hoyos more than long enough, I waited for his sacking. I rated Quique Hernandez, many people didn't etc etc. And I have several more examples.

Similar is with Paco Herrera. Not a huge fan of. So, am probably close to Mitsos' opinion. 4 in a row, 5 in 6, come on??! Can't find solutions after crisis took place, some players not used at fullest and many liabilities. Not so unreasonable to me. Yes, nice guy, yes that smile, yes he brought some players that made us believe, yes, I don't rate Greek coaches, yes I worry about who will replace him and whether he will stop this bad run etc etc.

I also was one who put the bar at 8th grade of standings as season ending goal... Anything better is a bonus. But come on, 5 in 6 losses, disjointed team at Oaka, exposed defense where you concede 2 goals from 5 meters at home against Oly and Paok, and what to tell you also what we conceded at AEK. I couldn't take it any more.

• Like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Τι λέτε για Παντελίδη; Όχι ότι είχα προσδοκίες, αλλά ο τύπος είναι ακατάλληλος για αυτό τον Άρη. Έχοντας τέτοιο ρόστερ, χρειαζόμαστε έναν προπονητή που να αναδείξει τις δυνατότητες των παικτών και όχι να τις χαντακώνει με τις επιλογές του. Υποτίθεται ο Παντελίδης επιλέχθηκε καθότι γνώστης της "ελληνικής πραγματικότητας", αλλά αυτό έχει αξία σε ομάδες με μέτριο-κακό ρόστερ που πάνε να κλέψουν αποτέλεσμα. Herrera θα λέμε και θα κλαίμε...

Excerpt from a Dino Diamantopoulos interview regarding the dismissal of Herrera:

Για το τι οδήγησε στην ρήξη των σχέσεων με τον Πάκο Ερέρα:

"Νομίζω ήταν η καθημερινότητα μας, ήταν μια απόφαση αλληλοκατανόησης, γιατί υπάρχει ένα κλίμα ότι έχω σκοτωθεί εγώ με τον Ερέρα. Η συζήτηση που κάναμε και με τον πρόεδρο ήταν πολύ καλή, η καθημερινότητα είναι που με είχε ταράξει, και αυτό οδήγησε στην λύση της συνεργασίας μας".

Για το τι συνέβη με τον Πάκο Ερέρα:

"Ο κόσμος βλέπει την παράσταση κάθε Κυριακή, από την Δευτέρα μέχρι το Σάββατο έχουμε τις πρόβες. Σε αυτήν την καθημερινότητα σε ένα άθροισμα προπονητικών μονάδων καταλαβαίναμε ότι σταδιακά θα έπεφτε η φυσική κατάσταση των ποδοσφαιριστών μας, έλειπε για παράδειγμα το σκάουντιγκ του αντιπάλου, μια βίντεο-ανάλυση της δικής μας ομάδας, τι δεν κάναμε καλά, αλλά και το τι κάναμε καλά. Λείπανε τέτοια πράγματα, προσωπικά αυτά μου στοίχιζαν, και έβλεπα ότι θα οδηγηθεί η ομάδα σε ένα πρόβλημα, φυσικά και ο πρόεδρος ήταν ενήμερος για όλα αυτά".

If anyone wants to read the entire interview click on the following link:

https://www.allaboutaris.com/podosfairo/127709/diamantopoulos-ksekatharos-stoxos-i-europi-metagrafes-me-mellon-asteia-osa-legontai-gia-xartakia

Edited by Mitsos

Ο Παντελίδης στη φετινή σεζόν (σε Αστέρα και Άρη) έχει 2 νίκες, 4 ισοπαλίες, 8 ήττες... Υπάρχουν ακόμη κάποιοι που τον υποστηρίζουν ότι αυτός είναι ο προπονητής που αξίζει να έχει ο φετινός Άρης; Στον Αστέρα πήγε ο Παράσχος και ο άνθρωπος έκανε 4/4 νίκες. Παρεμπιπτόντως από τους Έλληνες προπονητές θεωρώ ότι ο Παράσχος είναι από τους καλύτερους, σοβαρός και ουσιαστικός.

Edited by Emperor
  • Like it 1

^^^ Καλό! ?

Με τον Παντελίδη τι θα κάνουμε ρε παιδιά; Υπάρχει κανείς που να πιστεύει ότι αξίζει να παραμείνει; Έτσι όπως πάει, η ομάδα θα μείνει εκτός στόχων και όταν τον διώξουμε θα είναι πια αργά.

Mourinho has just been sacked from Man Utd.  Could always try for him. ?

On a serious note though, I think you guys were better off with the ispano.  Yes he was a bit too attacking and made some basic mistakes but he had the team flying at times.  It’s not like you would be relegated anyway so not sure what the big deal in sacking him was.

• Like it 2

20 hours ago, Bananas said:

Mourinho has just been sacked from Man Utd.  Could always try for him. ?

On a serious note though, I think you guys were better off with the ispano.  Yes he was a bit too attacking and made some basic mistakes but he had the team flying at times.  It’s not like you would be relegated anyway so not sure what the big deal in sacking him was.

Greek legendary lack of planning and patience.

• Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Χρόνια πολλά και καλή χρονιά με υγεία σε όλους, παιδιά!

Τι γίνεται πλέον με το πρόγραμμα εφεξής; Πότε θα γίνει το αναβληθέν παιχνίδι με την Ξάνθη;