Phantis Forums

CL–QR2-L1: PAOK - FC Basel (24-Jul-18, 20:30 EEST)

Blackhawk

Exactly and that's why I think it will be very tough to make the group stage, and I think team officials see it this way as well. That's why they are not going crazy about the transfers.

If we get lucky and eliminate Basel, then we will be seeded in 3rd qualifying round. There we might have a chance against the likes of Fenerbahce, Spartak Moscow , Standard Liege or Slavia Prague. However I think it will be tough in the playoff round. 

There's no easy way in. Either we climb uphill for the next month, or we spend the next few years hoping we can single-handedly raise Greece's coefficient to the point of direct entry into the group stage (since we know the other teams won't help). Still, a win vs Basel would be valuable and help us avoid at least one round of qualifiers at the EL level.

For me , we only need that break through and I do see our club settling into CL standard. 

We have tbe youth set up, we have the fan base, we seem to have the foundations set to increase revenue we just need they break through. 

Come on paokara let's do a miracle!!! 

How did the ukranians teams to it a few years ago and now the azeries these days! 

The funny thing is that these matches should be harder than the next round. I'd want to avoid especially Fenerbahce for that one.

For the play offs, there are only four slots (only two seeds), and there are currently four teams ranked above us in the second qualifying round (three if you assume we beat Basel). We would need two of Benfica, Dynamo Kiev, and Ajax not make it to the play off round. This is assuming that Ajax beats the Austrians; if they somehow lose than we'd just need one upset.

Anyway, as far as this game goes - I have a feeling Warda is going to start (which is not a bad thing). You can tell that Lucescu rates him, and during his interview after that first friendly he played in, he was VERY intense about being ready for this game. Limnios hasn't looked great this preseason, so the spot really is his to grab.

20 hours ago, pash said:

Still, a win vs Basel would be valuable and help us avoid at least one round of qualifiers at the EL level.

If we eliminate Basel not only do we continue our CL group stage dream,  we are also guaranteed direct qualification to Europa League group stage. 

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

If we eliminate Basel not only do we continue our CL group stage dream,  we are also guaranteed direct qualification to Europa League group stage. 

You're right, I was looking at the Champions route drop outs. So AEK will have even more games to play!

Biseswar's got a banged up knee from that last game, he is very doubtful for the Basel game.

Varela, on the other hand, looks sure to return.

On the plus side, with Biseswar now out, good chance we'll see a Greek actually play! I'd be very surprised now if Warda doesn't start as well.

-edit- unless of course el kaddouri gets the start

Edited by pash

The player list sent to UEFA for the Basel games:

Γλύκος , Ρέι , Πασχαλάκης , Σιαμπάνης , Βαρέλα , Κρέσπο , Χατσερίδης , Μαλεζάς , Μάτος , Κίτσιου , Βιεϊρίνια , Λύρατζης, Κάνιας , Χαρίσης , Σάκχοφ , Μαουρίσιο , Πέλκας , Ελ Καντουρί , Μπίσεσβαρ , Λημνιός , Λάμπρου , Ζαμπά , Ουάρντα , Μυστακίδης , Πρίγιοβιτς 

Moulen, Balogiannis and Mihojevic did not make the list. The first due to injuries, the second because he did not meet the criteria to be included in the 'B" list. Mihojevic is slated to be loaned so he is not counted on.

We have the option of making two changes 24 hours before the first game.

6 hours ago, pash said:

On the plus side, with Biseswar now out, good chance we'll see a Greek actually play! I'd be very surprised now if Warda doesn't start as well.

Biseswar's MRI was negative as far as knee damage is concerned, but he has been ruled out for the first Basel game. I agree that Warda will most likely take his place. Would not be surprised if Lambrou makes an appearance as well.

BTW, El Kaddouri's MRI was negative as well and he will start full practice load tomorrow.

epsilon channel got the rights to show the game of Basel v PAOK in switzeland. 

Would love to hear how many viewers tune in for the game being free to air. 

Edited by PAOKSYD

Was told yesterday that people outside of Greece can stream it via agonasport; I checked out the site and you are able to buy single games for $8. Pretty steep, but I'd consider it.

For the US, that Turner Sports site (which is terribly organized) doesn't seem to have any options for actually paying. They appear to have it linked with satellite/cable accounts, which implies you don't get an online-only option. Non-starter for me.

Novasport2 is showing it in Greece and Cyprus. 

As for the BleacherReport, they have been streaming selected CL and EL games for free until their PPV kicks in, which is expected next month. There is always a chance they might include PAOK's game as well.  

I would not count out PAOKTV to show the game.  

2 hours ago, pash said:

Now that's a prediction I can get behind.

Just bought the game, I'm so ready to go. Here's my checklist:

• Gyro
  • Malamatina
  • Body oils
  • Blood bucket
  • Scarf

pameeeee

you forgot the PAOK branded replica savvidis handgun

• Like it 2

• Blackhawk changed the title to CL–QR2-L1: PAOK - FC Basel (24-Jul-18, 20:30 EEST)