Phantis Forums

2018-2019 Pre Season Training News

Blackhawk

I'm wondering if our midfield duo vs Basel will actually be El Kaddouri + Mauricio, just due to their recent performances. They seem to both be doing much better than Canas/Shakhov, from what little I've seen.

Seems Lucescu was remaining cagey about him in the post-match interview. I'd love for the young Greek players to be given a run, I just wonder if they're at that level yet.

I don't think Pelkas is going anywhere.  He played as CF in the last friendly.

I think that if Mauricio and El Kaddouri can play at a much higher level than last year, our team doesn't really need many more signings.  There was an article saying that Charissis has played as LB early in his career and can be a solution for us in that position.  I think the kid is talented and deserves a chance.  Besaides signing another striker I think our team is solid as is.  There are still multiple scenarios floating around for signings.... We'll see what the week brings us.

The rumors for Obradovic and Keseru look promising, but who knows.

Edited by BostonThanatos

Agree Jaba has looked solid, hasn't tried to over do it and is playing the easy pass which at times is the best option. He also seems to have some nice touches

EDIT: WOW! what a run and finish by Jaba! beat 3 players, very well done. 1-0 

Edited by paokarag4

Commentator is doing a very good job illustrating the value of a player like Canas to the team. If only the actual pro-PAOK sites would make such constructive comments. I guess when you're looking for a BAM, then you don't have time to talk about actual tactics/strategy.

Rey played very well today and made several good saves. Too bad we gave up the cheap goal at the end. Next game on Sunday at 5:30 AM my time against Royal Antwerp. Not sure I will be getting up so early for that one.

InPAOK is saying Lucescu used the below lineup today, which is what we'll see in that next friendly (which is now our second-to-last). Even if Warda isn't sold I can't see him starting that first game, hopefully Limnios does get a start.

--Paschalakis--

--Matos--Varela--Crespo--Vieirinha--

--Canas--Mauricio--

--Limnios--Pelkas--Biseswar--

--Prijovic--

It's a very good lineup, and almost certainly what we'll see vs Basel. Only question mark is the right wing position.

Basically the same line-up as what we saw at the tail end of last season. Perhaps Jaba to start on the wing? I'm not a fan of Limnios (at least what I saw last season, haven't seen him play this pre-season) He has some work to do before he's starting IMO. Haven't seen much of Jaba/Lamprou but they could potentially be in the running. 

Another interesting thing to note, Lucescu seems to be favouring Crespo over Khacheridi despite the latter's signing being a "bam". We don't know if that will be the case come the Basel games, or the start of the league season. But for the moment, for whatever reason he's favouring the old firm

Edited by paokarag4

I don't think Khacheridi was ever going to start in this game. Lucescu takes his time in getting people in, and Crespo and Varela know very well how to play with each other. I'd think if Crespo gets hurt, he'd play Malezas over the new guy too.

Limnios is very raw, but Jaba has the same newness problem as Khacheridi. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him start. Lamprou has looked better than him this preseason, but has a minor injury right now. Mistakidis for me is the best (I know you're shocked to read me saying this), but he hasn't played in his preferred position much this preseason, so I can't see him getting a start.

IMO that's flawed logic if that's why Lucescu isn't going to start Khacheridi. If he has seen some things he hasn't liked, he hasn't clicked with Varela etc then fair enough. 
But I would've thought games against Basel is exactly the reason Khacheridi was brought in. Loads of experience played in the group stage of the Champions league, knockout stage of the Europa league. 

haha your boy mysta is in with as good a shot as everyone else to potentially get a start on that wing heading into the Basel games. The other three probably have a slight edge, but as you said all 3 all have their question marks.

Is another alternative if El Kaddouri is fit and he slots Pelkas onto the wing? Not that I want 2 no.10's on the wings but just thinking it's maybe another way Lucescu could go if he doesn't trust Limnios/Lambrou/Jaba 

Also possible. Of the three #10s, Pelkas is probably the best on the right (though all three more typically play on the left)...it would certainly be one solution if El Kaddouri joined and the three formed a line. I'm still half convinced that he's going back to Italy though.