Phantis Forums

A 12 Team Super League?

Mitsos

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Superleague despite pressure from the Secretary of Sports today decided that 2018-2019 season will take place with 16 teams without playoffs.

It was also decided that 2019-2020 season will take place with 14 teams

Superleague also agreed to the proposal to create Superleague 2 as a the other professional league and to downgrade the Football League into a semi-professional league.

This is amateur time, if not idiocy.  It's interesting though that once Oly became vulnerable (and Marinakis isn't going to spend like before, plus the CL $ is gone), now they want to make the league more competitive.......... Anyway, yes, it has to be more competitive.

No matter what they do, the credibility of the sport is lost. Only the very fanatic fans still bother to attend games. TV viewership is way down because of the bad quality and the corruption of the league.

Even though I can see the VAR's usefulness, I'm more of a purist in terms of a long season with no playoffs. There are 2 "derbies" a season per 2 teams for the league title. If they want tournaments, do it for the cup.

I'd also make the cup more competitive, but having knock out games*, and make the lesser teams (the league standings at time of draw) have home advantage.

* in double games, usually the stronger team prevails; with one knockout game a lesser team would have more chances.