Phantis Forums

Transfer News and Rumors - Summer 2018

Blackhawk

This might be the guy:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/chuba-akpom/profil/spieler/197642

CF, owned by Arsenal, though he's been loaned out since joining their senior team. He's played for them since he was 15 (when he joined their U18 squad). Scored 6 goals in 16 games last season.

Also holds an English passport in addition to Nigerian (he was last an English U21 player). InPAOK says they already spoke to him; he was encouraged by Charisis and Kitsiou (who were his teammates last season in Belgium).

This is moving pretty fast!

Here are some videos: https://inpaok.com/473552/aftos-ine-o-tsouba-akpom-videos/

Yeah, the English sure like to stay in England. The highlights videos look good (as they always do). We'll see how this turns out. Hiring a 22-year-old is a very un-Michel-like move.

I am not on the inside and know no stories about Michel and the rest.

But, my sense is that the team is doing well with transfers. Not that we did bad with Arnesen of course. But I feel both of them did good job. And those ARD that want to criticize Michel, why they don't criticize Savvidis for bringing 31-year old Khacheridi?

Yes, that's what I thought...

Michel and Arnesen both did good jobs. A step above the past TDs. Had Arnesen had the same support (and chose a coach who wasn't a puppet), who knows what could have happened.

PAOK24 saying that the deal for Akpom is 1mm EUR + a resale clause. Haven't seen the actual percentage quoted anywhere yet.

-edit- spelling

Edited by pash

16 hours ago, pash said:

Michel and Arnesen both did good jobs. A step above the past TDs. Had Arnesen had the same support (and chose a coach who wasn't a puppet), who knows what could have happened.

I don’t think you can compare the two.

Arnesen said from the beginning that he wanted to bring in young players that were relatively cheap that could be developed and sold for profit.  Whether this was his idea or a directive from the club I don’t know.

Michel never said anything like that.  Instead he went straight for relatively experienced players and also offered considerably larger wages to attract these players.

Ideally I’d love to have had both of them at the club in some capacity.

Edited by Bananas

8 hours ago, pash said:

PAOK24 saying that the deal for Akpom is 1mm EUR + a resale clause. Haven't seen the actual percentage quoted anywhere yet.

-edit- spelling

So I guess this kid is meant to be the backup for Prijo ?  Hard to say before we see him play.  Raptopoulos summed up Prijo perfectly.  He said that Prijo can play like a “pethameno” but he’ll still manage to score goals.  And that everyone, is what a real striker is.  I will cry if/when Prijo gets sold.

Anyhow, it’ll be interesting to see what other signings are made.  There is still the question of left back.  We need a backup for Vieirinha.  I know there are those who want to see Vieirinha played on the wing (and I’m happy to see Lucescu try it out) but I honestly think Vieirinha is more effective where he is now.  He can see the whole pitch in front oh him and can pick and choose to time his runs.  With your back to goal it’s a completely different game.

There is the question of a midfielder although Canas seems to be doing his best to try and kill that off.  Hoping he has a good season.  He was quite flat last season.

As for wingers I have no idea what’s going on.  Mak and Campos are gone and Henrique too.  That’s three big names there and we have Jaba and Warda as replacements.  When you say it like that they don’t sound too crash hot but we’ll see.  It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve ended up with egg on my face.

I really do enjoy seeing Vieirinha on the wing, even remembered when he played a few times as a CAM.

He controlled the hell out of the game, but as mentioned the big question is who do we find to replace/back him up?

I'm hoping some exciting things happened before the window closes ?

Not comparing their approaches, my sweet banana hammock. Just their general competence. I think part of the reason Michel went the way he did, is because he realized Savvidis doesn't have the patience for growing a team. So he took the less fiscally responsible tact, and perhaps now is trying to blend in longer-term young players into the core we already have. Just a guess though.

Anyway, we still have two signings that are being planned. Last I heard, though, the Romanian LB wasn't in the cards.

15 hours ago, pash said:

I heard 25 - 30% resale, plus 8 mil buyout clause. 

The Realist in me looks at this signing as NOT a slam dunk.  I mean OK, the kid is from Arsenal, but he has also been loaned out and returned to Arsenal every 6 months for the last 5 years.  

The optimist in me says that he's a young fast player that the scouts at Arsenal clearly saw some talent in... He has also played in Englands youth squads.  

Time will tell.

InPAOK saying the team is looking for a new winger who can also play centrally. Would totally be a Michel move to get a 30 year old who played in Ukraine.

They also said Natcho is an option if Wernblum doesn't work out. I'd much rather Natcho, but I'm going to use Blackhawk's favorite phrase and call this fake news.

8 hours ago, Athens4 said:

He is 32 years old. Why are we getting him?

I don't mind if he is as good as they say. We need good players no matter their age.

And this year we will have Europe. We need extra bench players. And I will be very happy to see Canas and Shakhov coming off the bench.

I will repeat myself, but players such as Garcia and Ivic came at their 31. Not that I wouldn't want them earlier, but it doesn't mean they are dead meat. Sure, we are not going to sell them and get money. But if the guy is a high caliber player and gives two great years with PAOK, I will be happy. Both him and Khacheridi are old, but they are experienced, both internationally and in Champions League/Europa League. We need such players unless they came for vacation, which I doubt will be the case.

Vrakas, from our U17/U20 side, was tried out by Napoli. There's a chance they will buy him, which would be great for him. Since we no longer use Greek players, it would also be great to sell our youth guys to a team like Napoli.