Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - Switzerland (23 March 2018, OAKA , Athens)

Dutch Eagle

18 hours ago, georgelaz said:

here's highlights we did have some really good chances 3-5 of them. Fortounis could have had 2 goals. First outside box shot and second where he skied it in the 6 yard box. Mitroglou lost his footing twice for really good chances too. We also should have got a penalty on Pelkas he got bulldozed off the pitch.

I still can’t believe Fortounis did not finish off that chance in the six yard box. On both of his opportunities he did not even hit the net. Just the way it’s going right now for the Ethniki.

1 hour ago, AchillesHeel said:

I don't understand the criticism of Donis, he puts in the effort, makes runs, creates space and chances....if he scored as well then he'd be playing on a top team in a top league, but what he does is more than what we get from most of our attackers.

I agree 100%. He is the only that can make something happen in our team. He just needs to work on his end product.

21 hours ago, AchillesHeel said:

Fortounis has sucked the past 2 seasons in the GSL so its no surprise that he's struggling on the international level. Sokratis was due a bad game sometime so that was just as well it was a friendly.
Bakasetas on the wing? why? he has none of the tools necessary for that job (I like Bakasetas but he shouldn't start on the NT in any position).
Retsos is still learning the fullback position so why start him when you have 2 natural LB on the roster?
Samaris only becomes visible when he screws up....otherwise he's totally invisible.
I don't understand the criticism of Donis, he puts in the effort, makes runs, creates space and chances....if he scored as well then he'd be playing on a top team in a top league, but what he does is more than what we get from most of our attackers.
I really want to see Karelis start instead of Mitroglou for a change and someone (anyone) else instead of Fortounis....these 2 have been the constants in the recent drought of goals....in this match we were actually able to move the ball up the field not too badly but couldn't make the final connection.
Anyhow none of this means anything if the coach is on the take and/or too stupid to see the obvious mistakes he makes and issues he needs to address.

Completely agree with you, btw it was 3 natural Left Backs on the roster and Skibbe played Restsos instead... Lykogiannis has been called up for about 2 years now and has had 10 minutes playing time, in which he actually looked great. Skibbe is in the clouds, dunno what this man is thinking. Then there is all the other idiocy you mention as have I as has many other posters. 

We really are wasting our time with Skibbe, I am sure Egypt game will be another disappointment and the idiot will come out saying how well we did and how happy he is. Only the Ethniki can find itself in this spot but EPO is too clueless to see something is very very wrong with this coach and assistant coach who is as much to blame. To make us burn even more, let's not forget EPO made it a requirement that Tsanas is the assistant coach for who ever took the lead role... no wonder we got clueless Skibbe :confused: 

• Like it 1

I have to say also, yes, Donis, whilst he may not be Ronaldo, is fine, I also dont get the criticism. For the Switzerland game he was the only one running into space which is such an issue for the old stalwarts Skibbe picks. How many raids came from Bakasetas's side? Exactly.  

• Like it 1

Donis was fine last game vs Switzerland and his performance vs Belgium in Athens was tremendous, we saw the fits he caused the Belgian back line. He will continue to improve and will become a very productive player for the Ethniki for years to come.

• Like it 2

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/03/2018 at 1:12 AM, J1078 said:

Fortounis does get some quality chances from time to time but honestly he looks like one of our laziest players that kind of sucks the energy out of the team.. yes he is a good player but rarely shows it for the national team.. I think Pelkas should be given more opportunities going forward. Baks should not be a starter for this team as he is just s%$#!...  Samaris shows flashes but mostly disappoints and his pass selection and giveaway from time to time is mind blowing...  Donis is one player that brings a lot of energy and speed and usually creates something for us... Mitro is our go to go but such a one dimensional player that cant do anything else but score from time to time... We cant score goals and we hardly get any shots on target, our offence looks horrible yet we don't give a guy a shot that scores regularly that has great ball control and some speed in Fetfa.... This is crazy... Skibbe has no system and no clue of what to do out there and what players to choose.. We seriously cant move forward with him here.....  The fact that he said in his press conference he was very pleased on how we played and he felt very positive just shows me how much of a useless coach he is..

Spot on. Where is Fetfatzidis? Pelkas has shown good form all season. Tziolis again? I still believe in Samaris but he has proven countless times he is useless in attack. Zeca at least presses high and has a lot of energy. 

Vasilakakis is needed in this team. So is Giannoulis and Kivrakidis. These players who got an attacking mindset but never neglect their defensive duties. 

A team like this in the next friendly should be experimented:

Paschalakis

Kivrakidis/Bakakis Siovas Retsos Giannoulis

Kourbelis  Galanopoulos

Vasilakakis/Pelkas

Fetfatzidis/Albanis  Karelis.  Lazaros

Others to mention: Risvanis, Lambropoulos, Donis, Gianniotis, Limnios and Tsimikas.

The u21s dont have to be called up yet but should be tried. Kyriakopoulos looks dangerous but needs to prove himself more. 

Lykogiannis is good to have as back up. The forgotten players like Bouchalakis, Kolovos and Ninis need to get regular game time and Ninis needs to come back to Greece so he can be looked at. Same can be said for Fetfatzidis. 

Edited by Dean97

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic