Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - Switzerland (23 March 2018, OAKA , Athens)

Dutch Eagle

Absolutely disgusting... I can now honestly say Skibbe is the most useless coach we've ever had... WTF would Tziolis and Tzavellas be called up again???? Even if they don't play I'm absoloutlkey sick to my stomach that they would get a call up... F*** you Skibbe.....

While Tziolis and Tzavellas are not ideal, he did pick a large squad to look at.  A lot of guys we have been wanting him to look were selected, with the most notable exception being fetfa.  Now if they both play, that's a different story...

• Like it 1

It sux that Tziolis is still there and Tzavellas when there is two other left backs too lol.

But there is some positives guys, no Kapino and rightfully so. Karelis is back, no useless Vellios, Maniatis & Diamantakos.

Bakakis finally got a call up! 

Limnios & Kourmbelis, interesting picks. See if they get any time. Dunno if there ready but I’m sure it’s about squad experience.

Shame no Fetfa and Vasilakakis was due a call up, we have so many defenders picked prob not needed 

14 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Surely not... Skibbe can't be that dumb and yes he has proven a very low IQ in the past. Tziolis is pointless starting any of these games given he started in most Qualifiers for Russia 2018

I hope not, but we shall see.

Is everyone else surprised that he didn't call up Galanopoulos. Probably not because he is a dumb s%$#!. Why call up Lykogiannis, Stafylidis and Tzavellas. Only 2 should be called up and it's the first 2. Happy that Limnios and Pelkas got called up. Donis is in the team aswell as Karelis. There is something to look forward to. Tziolis and Tzavellas are his toy boys and won't ditch them for anyone. 

Wasn’t this the same guy after the Croatia playoffs that sat in front of everyone and said we will add new blood to the team and some guys that are here won’t be?? Full of s%$#!.. this guy is a clown... You are telling me Fetfa doesn’t deserve a call up?? Mark my words Tziolis will be a regular player for this team in the nations league.. if he can’t dump this dead weight now for a friendly then he never will.. same goes for Tzavellas..

Edited by J1078

He is an absolute joke. I had some respect for him before now it's gone too far. How can Tziolis do any good to the team? This team lacks GOALS! Tzavellas is not needed but I can understand with him because of his set pieces. That's all he can offer. 

Either one of Siopis and Galanopoulos should've been called up. Fetfatzidis is the best attacking player in my opinion for Greece. After that it's Donis. He said he didn't need Sokratis, Manolas and Mitroglou. Why call them up? Mavropanos deserved to be called up because he was doing well at PAS. 

Positives are that he called up Bakakis. Good to see Limnios there too. Fortounis doesn't deserve to start any of these matches but being called up is fine. Samaris is our best CDM so I understand. 

Kone has been playing well and didn't get called up. Unfortunately Lamprou is still carrying an injury but I still don't believe he would have called him up. 

There are also a couple of decent players from Atromitos that didn't get called up. But he has to call up Tziolis and Tzavellas who barley start for their teams. Where is Charisis? What about the very talented and inform Paschalakis. Koulouris dosen't deserve to be in the team.

• Like it 1

13 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

When are you people going to realize that the coach does not make the calls. Managers that do.

I think you mean agents. But isn't the coach Skibbe suppose have the final word on who gets called up? I don't understand how agents pick the team?

5 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I think you mean agents. But isn't the coach Skibbe suppose have the final word on who gets called up? I don't understand how agents pick the team?

This was mentioned in another thread, and it seems like Tziolis is with one of the most influential agents, but what would explain Tzavellas presence since he has no representation. 

Greece will face Switzerland on March 23rd at the OAKA stadium in Athens and four days later, will travel to Switzerland to play Egypt in another international friendly. The first two tests will be Greece’s first as they kickoff their preparations for the upcoming UEFA Nations League and UEFA EURO 2020 qualifiers. 

Below is Greece's’ 27-man roster:

Goalkeepers: Karnezis (Watford), Gianniotis (Atromitos), Barkas (AEK)

Defenders: Torosidis (Bologna), Bakakis (AEK), Stafylidis (Stoke City), Manolas (Roma), Papastathopoulos (Dortmund), Lykogiannis (Cagliari), Tzavellas (Alaynaspor), Retsos (Leverkusen), Papadopoulos (Hamburg)

Midfielders: Tachtsidis (Olympiacos), Tziolis (Al-Fayha FC), Pelkas (PAOK), Kourbelis (Panathinaikos), Zeca (FC Kobenhavn), Samaris (Benfica), Fortounis (Olympiacos), Christodoulopoulos (AEK)

Strikers: Bakasetas (AEK), Mitroglou (Marseille), Karelis (Genk), Gianniotas (Valladolid), Donis (Stuttgart), Limnios (PAOK), Koulouris (PAOK)

35 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

Overall, he may value Tsiolis influence on the team.  He may see him as a good guys for team culture, similar to Torosidis. 

Maybe but if he’s there for leadership it’s pointless to waste a spot on him as we have Socrates, Manolas, Toro, K pap, that offer much more leadership and team chemistry then this clown..

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree but if he serves as a leader and as an example, I guess I can deal with it.  If he actually is in the 11, then...Remember Ranieri changed the whole team and we got crushed, we need a steady ship. If that means including a player like Tsiolis to ease the transition, I can deal with that...

Re: Tziolis

I posted this in the Starting XI thread:

Here is a excerpt from a recent Skibbe interview with Contra.gr

Ειδικά για τον Τζιόλη θα σας πω ότι ήταν εξαιρετικός στα τελευταία παιχνίδια. Εκανε ακριβώς αυτά που έπρεπε ως αμυντικός μέσος. Εστω κι αν δεν αγωνίζεται σε μια μεγάλη ομάδα και σε ένα προηγμένο πρωτάθλημα, έστω κι αν είναι πλέον 32 ετών, θεωρώ ότι η απόδοσή του ήταν σε πολύ καλό επίπεδο και η κριτική άδικη.

Transaltion: For Tziolis, specifically, I can tell you that he was exceptional in the last couple of matches. He did exactly what he was supposed to as a defensive midfielder. Even if he does not play at a big club or in a developed league, even if he is 32 years old (he actually recently turned 33), I think his performance was at a very high level and that his critics are wrong.

3 hours ago, Brklyngrk said:

I agree but if he serves as a leader and as an example, I guess I can deal with it.  If he actually is in the 11, then...Remember Ranieri changed the whole team and we got crushed, we need a steady ship. If that means including a player like Tsiolis to ease the transition, I can deal with that...

Tziolis can’t transition defense to attack re

28 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

When was the last time he scored? Or had an assist? Not good enough to be in this team. Skibbe must be living in another world.

He scored the winner vs Cyprus but never the less, that was the first game we won with him starting since November 2013

• Omonoia9 changed the title to Friendly: Greece - Switzerland (23 March 2018, OAKA , Athens)
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic