Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - Switzerland (23 March 2018, OAKA , Athens)

Dutch Eagle

it's not about scoring or assisting for a player like Tziolis. His job is to break up play (something he's not great at) and when we win back possession, maintain the ball so our team can get up the pitch and we can build an attack. The last part is something he does because he takes minimal risks with the ball. Sideways, backwards he plays it safe. That's why coaches (not only skibbe) have favoured him to be a part of the ethniki for so many years. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he should be in the starting line up.
In the squad? maybe for some depth. Again he's not awful but he's no world beater. He is what he is, does what is asked of him and keeps it moving. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

3 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

it's not about scoring or assisting for a player like Tziolis. His job is to break up play (something he's not great at) and when we win back possession, maintain the ball so our team can get up the pitch and we can build an attack. The last part is something he does because he takes minimal risks with the ball. Sideways, backwards he plays it safe. That's why coaches (not only skibbe) have favoured him to be a part of the ethniki for so many years. 

In the squad? maybe for some depth. Again he's not awful but he's no world beater. He is what he is, does what is asked of him and keeps it moving. 

I think your wrong. Only because Tziolis is not effective in anything he does. One thing I can think of is his height with headers that's about it. Samaris is way more effective in building an attack. He plays more sharper passes forward. The only thing Samaris can do more of is play riskier passes something that Tachtisidis does. 

I don't understand how coaches can rely on Tziolis. I just don't get it. Maybe around 2010 in the world cup he was ok. That's about it. He is now doing Katsouranis and Basinas job of holding. Kourbelis, Samaris, Tachtsidis, Zeca, K.Papadopoulos and Siopis can do a better job in that position. That's 6 players. 

14 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

I completely disagree. The guy ruins the flow of the game.. He does try to play it safe because he is not good enough to play any other style. he ruins our momentum going forward when we have the ball as he can't pass or control the ball and has no speed. he is the worst player to have as a midfielder on our team... He sucks any offensive creativity as limited as it may be already from our team when he's on the pitch.. There is no place for this guy on the team.. how does a guy that is not even playing regular minutes in a Saudi league be a starter for this team?? I know you are not saying he deserves to be on the team... I just don't see any benefit but only negatives in having this guy on our team..

• Like it 2

These are players who I would have called up. 

Tsitontas, Paschalakis, Gianniotis, Bakakis, Kivrakidis, Retsos, Papadopoulos, Siovas, Risvanis, Chatzisaais, Giannoulis, Tsimikas, Lykogiannis, Kourbelis, Samaris, Zeca, Galanopoulos, Kone, Fortounis, Pelkas, Donis, Limnios, Lamprou, Karelis, Kotsopoulos, Vasilakakis, Lazaros.

This is who I would have chosen. There is 1 or 2 who don't deserve to play but the majority of this team deserve to be called up. Sokratis, Manolas, Stafylidis, Torosidis, Tachtsidis and Mitroglou don't have to be called up. Bakasetas and Gianniotas need to prove themselves more. 

Kotsopoulos is up and coming striker. If anyone has seen him play knows that he will be a great player one day. 

12 hours ago, Jimmyp said:

Dude that guy is funny. Hes The Don Cherry if Greek soccer. Canadians will know what I’m talking about. 

greatest metaphor in all my reading of greek soccer forums LMFAO

• Like it 1

On 2018-03-17 at 9:37 AM, J1078 said:

I completely disagree. The guy ruins the flow of the game.. He does try to play it safe because he is not good enough to play any other style. he ruins our momentum going forward when we have the ball as he can't pass or control the ball and has no speed. he is the worst player to have as a midfielder on our team... He sucks any offensive creativity as limited as it may be already from our team when he's on the pitch.. There is no place for this guy on the team.. how does a guy that is not even playing regular minutes in a Saudi league be a starter for this team?? I know you are not saying he deserves to be on the team... I just don't see any benefit but only negatives in having this guy on our team..

100% agree, the only strong part of his game is winning a header, other than that he doesn’t offer much. 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Anyone know of any good streams to use to watch this game? 

ATDHE may have it, is it on TV anywhere? Here in Canada we will get the usual England friendlies. Maybe BEIN may show Greece?

Edited by Ellada2004

21 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

ATDHE may have it, is it on TV anywhere? Here in Canada we will get the usual England friendlies. Maybe BEIN may show Greece?

Guys, if you really watch the game just spend the 7 bucks and buy it from Agona Sport and just enjoy it. 

• Like it 1

6 hours ago, Alphonse said:

It’s very good Dean, dunno if it’s HD but it’s clear

13 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I might just do that. How good is the stream though? Is it HD throughout?

It`s good quality, and HD or not, it`s better than a laggy, ad-plagued version available at atdhe or similar services. For me, we get so little international soccer during the year, and now especially without WC, you think 7$ is gonna stop me from enjoying the game? 

I think I have figured it out. I believe the Skibbe is consulting with our former coach Rehhagel on certain players and formations. Rehhagel was always using players out of position, most notably Torosidis as a LB, always calling up the same out of form and not getting any playing time players instead of transitioning new blood into the team. Using crazy formations like the game vs Argentina and our Skibbe I believe did consult with him for our away game with Croatia (what a disaster Maniatis at RB completely lost and Zeca on the RW when he should have been holding mid). There is no other explanation as to why he repeatedly calls up and plays Tziolis when we have so much better. Now I'm reading he might start vs Switzerland. What for???? To see what he can bring to the table? If I had to describe Tziolis his game it is similar to turning a jar of molasses upside down and watching it trickle out ever so slowly. One very knowledgeable guy in Greece told a friend of mine that he uses Tziolis to slow down the game. Yeah no kidding. More like bring it to a screeching halt. That's not the kind of soccer we want to play. Get rid of him already! I cannot watch this guy til Euro 2020. It's like Santos with Karagounis and Katsouranis all day all night and all the time. This is the perfect time to transition new blood into the team. Let Tziolis cheer them on the from the bench PLEASE!!!

Edited by Makynia
  • Like it 1

10 hours ago, tantra129 said:

skibbe does not see the other teams doing one-two's down the middle of the pitch all day long and the passes tziolara makes to the opponents?

unreal

All he does is praise Tziolis... he should not have any game time in both these matches. We know what he can offer, this matches should be what we can do to get better for later in the year

14 minutes ago, Makynia said:

I think I have figured it out. I believe the Skibbe is consulting with our former coach Rehhagel on certain players and formations. Rehhagel was always using players out of position, most notably Torosidis as a LB, always calling up the same out of form and not getting any playing time players instead of transitioning new blood into the team. Using crazy formations like the game vs Argentina and our Skibbe I believe did consult with him for our away game with Croatia (what a disaster Maniatis at RB completely lost and Zeca on the RW when he should have been holding mid). There is no other explanation as to why he repeatedly calls up and plays Tziolis when we have so much better. Now I'm reading he might start vs Switzerland. What for???? To see what he can bring to the table? If I had to describe Tziolis his game it is similar to turning a jar of molasses upside down and watching it trickle out ever so slowly. One very knowledgeable guy in Greece told a friend of mine that he uses Tziolis to slow down the game. Yeah no kidding. More like bring it to a screeching halt. That's not the kind of soccer we want to play. Get rid of him already! I cannot watch this guy til Euro 2020. It's like Santos with Karagounis and Katsouranis all day all night and all the time. This is the perfect time to transition new blood into the team. Let Tziolis cheer them on the from the bench PLEASE!!!

Well said sir! I agree with everything you say. I am so sick and tired of seen the same slow players ALWAYS in the Ethniki for so many years

• Omonoia9 changed the title to Friendly: Greece - Switzerland (23 March 2018, OAKA , Athens)
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic