Phantis Forums

2018-2019 UEFA Nations League C

Argy

bakasetas looked really good in champions league qualifiers. think he should back our backup cf if karelis and mitro are out of form.

we can play sorta false 9 with him + lazaros/donis/pelkas/fetfa on the wings too

galanopoulos was class as well. think form wise gala and zeca should be our cdms/cms

Edited by georgelaz

• 1 month later...

I dont want to go off topic on the other thread Finland vs Greece.  But someone mentioned that the winners of A, B , C and D get a spot at the EURO???      AM i reading this correctly.  So as the standings are right now  Georgia, Luxembourg , Kosovo and my dear god FYROM not FYROM have a chance to go to the Euros ?????    IF this is so then UEFA has lost the plot .  Also we should just sabotage our games and go in group D then it will be easy to get in.   Tell me this is not the case , i have no idea how this Nations Bs works.

Only the group A winner in a tournament will win a spot at the Euro. Too much wrong info about this on this forum.

Teams that win their groups like Finland for example will secure a play off spot if they fail to qualify for Euro 2020 in the qualification stage next year

So it is slightly more complicated than what I was saying, but there are 4 Euro 2020 spots available from the Nations League. Read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs. The goal is to make sure the playoffs have teams of similar quality within the same bracket so we will still have two lowly ranked teams (likely from both Leagues C and D) make Euro 2020.

Edited by Soprano76

20 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Only the group A winner in a tournament will win a spot at the Euro. Too much wrong info about this on this forum.

Teams that win their groups like Finland for example will secure a play off spot if they fail to qualify for Euro 2020 in the qualification stage next year

Bro you are wrong... There are 2 tournaments going on simultaneously.1 the nations league cup and 2 the 4 spots for the euros. Each group gets 1 team going to the euros... For example in group C all the group winners will play in the playoffs and the winner gets a ticket to the Euros.. Same for group A, B and D...  This was the big selling point about the nations league to the minnows who would never qualify from the regular Euros now 1 team gets a chance to appear in the tournament...

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

Btw we ABSOLUTELY need to win not of our next games even if we get to finish second but thats something people are still not aware of. 

It's really, really important for us for 2 reasons.

1) if we don't win both games then it's very likely, if not a lock, for us to fall in pot 4 in the draw for the euros qualification.  This would automatically kill our limited chances of qualifying.

2) If we get to finish 2nd by winningboth games there's still a great chance to be in the nations league playoffs and I'll explain below;

Teams from leagues A and B will probably qualify, if not all of them then at least 22 out of 24 teams through the regular qualification. This means they will not get to feature to their nations league playoffs and will be replaced by the next best placed teams of all leagues. 

So, assuming that the biggest majority of league A and B teams qualify via the original qualifiers, then about 5-6 teams from league C will replace them to the Nations league playoffs.

Again assuming that Serbia, Finland, Norway and Israel win their groups then the likes of Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, Scotland and Montenegro will get to take part in the playoffs. 

I hope people here but also around the NT to understand the importance of the next games.

7 hours ago, Polikastano said:

I dont want to go off topic on the other thread Finland vs Greece.  But someone mentioned that the winners of A, B , C and D get a spot at the EURO???      AM i reading this correctly.  So as the standings are right now  Georgia, Luxembourg , Kosovo and my dear god FYROM not FYROM have a chance to go to the Euros ?????    IF this is so then UEFA has lost the plot .  Also we should just sabotage our games and go in group D then it will be easy to get in.   Tell me this is not the case , i have no idea how this Nations Bs works.

Greece are in no position to sabotage games and take wins for granted. Remember Faroe? 

57 minutes ago, Boxou said:

Btw we ABSOLUTELY need to win not of our next games even if we get to finish second but thats something people are still not aware of. 

It's really, really important for us for 2 reasons.

1) if we don't win both games then it's very likely, if not a lock, for us to fall in pot 4 in the draw for the euros qualification.  This would automatically kill our limited chances of qualifying.

2) If we get to finish 2nd by winningboth games there's still a great chance to be in the nations league playoffs and I'll explain below;

Teams from leagues A and B will probably qualify, if not all of them then at least 22 out of 24 teams through the regular qualification. This means they will not get to feature to their nations league playoffs and will be replaced by the next best placed teams of all leagues. 

So, assuming that the biggest majority of league A and B teams qualify via the original qualifiers, then about 5-6 teams from league C will replace them to the Nations league playoffs.

Again assuming that Serbia, Finland, Norway and Israel win their groups then the likes of Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, Scotland and Montenegro will get to take part in the playoffs. 

I hope people here but also around the NT to understand the importance of the next games.

The chances of that happening are slim to knon as there are a lot of teams in group B That don’t qualify for the Euros so they will be next in-line to get the spot in the nations league.. our best hope would be Finland qualify for the Euros via the euro qualifiers that way the 2nd place team which is currently Greece would take Finland’s spot in the playoffs..

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

Bro you are wrong... There are 2 tournaments going on simultaneously.1 the nations league cup and 2 the 4 spots for the euros. Each group gets 1 team going to the euros... For example in group C all the group winners will play in the playoffs and the winner gets a ticket to the Euros.. Same for group A, B and D...  This was the big selling point about the nations league to the minnows who would never qualify from the regular Euros now 1 team gets a chance to appear in the tournament...

So if what you say is true,  teams like Georgia Luxembourg Kosovo and FYROM will battle it out with the winner going to the Euro.

This is absolute madness.

No you're totally wrong. The chances are not slim but actually it's very realistic to expect this scenario.

These are the teams of league ;

Austria, Bosnia, Russia, Sweden, Turkey, Wales, Slovakia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Ireland and Nothern Ireland. Basically the only teams that I do not expect to qualify are the Irish. The rest will do, so will Serbia and that will open up one more spot.

Guys it's so simple. There are 4 groups. A B C and D.  In each of those groups are 4 groups.  So let's do group D. So in D there's a group 1 2 3 and 4. The first place team of each of those groups plays in a play off for 1 spot in the Euro2020.  Plus each first place gets promoted to group C. It's the same for group A B and C.  Except the last place teams get relegated with the 1st place getting promoted.  

There are 4 spots for Euros available through this process. Means even Luxembourg has a chance to be at Euros lol

this was meant as a FairPlay for the smaller nations. 

Edited by Torontoblue
  • Like it 1

31 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Guys it's so simple. There are 4 groups. A B C and D.  In each of those groups are 4 groups.  So let's do group D. So in D there's a group 1 2 3 and 4. The first place team of each of those groups plays in a play off for 1 spot in the Euro2020.  Plus each first place gets promoted to group C. It's the same for group A B and C.  Except the last place teams get relegated with the 1st place getting promoted.  

There are 4 spots for Euros available through this process. Means even Luxembourg has a chance to be at Euros lol

this was meant as a FairPlay for the smaller nations. 

Yes we are going to see a pot 4 team qualify for Euro like a Armenia, Malta or I hope to God not those skopians. 

Already from league 1 poland and Iceland  have been relegated. 

• Like it 1

8 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

I thought after the Euros, each winner in every Group level (there are four groups with Group D) will play each other in a knockout style playoff.  The winner of that playoff will go to the Euros. 

No. Nations league gets 4 spots. 1 for each group. Because they want to include smaller nations. 

Well technically it's one spot to each group. But since the majority of League A and B teams will qualify to the Euros through the regular qualifcation which starts on March, then those 4+4 spots will be given to league C teams.

As I said earlier realistically all 12 league A teams will qualify plus 9-10 league B teams. That means the additonal spots will be covered by the non group winners of the league C. So assuming Serbia, Finland, Norway and Scotland win the each group, then the next best placed teams will follow them to the playoff. 

That's why it's inevitable to finish at least second because 80% we'll get to play in some playoffs, but also if we fall down to third or even worse, finish second but with anything less than 12 points it means we'll be placed in pot 4 in the euros draw.

I have still not seen one official link that says a team from group B C or D qualifies for the Euros.

I am sure I’m right when I said only the winner of group A qualifies

http://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/first-place-a-long-shot-for-greece-in-nations-league

Even this article tells me what I have said, Group B, C and D teams play for a guaranteed play off spot on the case they don’t quality next year.

League A group winners will play in the final four next summer to determine the NL winner, this is completely seperate to Euro NL play offs. The winner of that qualifies for Euros. 

The other NL play offs will take place in March 2020 AFTER Euro qualifying is done to determine the last four teams who qualify for Euro, this will work on how the teams finished in their groups, the better you did the better chance of a play off IF  you fail to qualify via Euro 2020 quali process.

Thats how it works, you could say a team from each pot will qualify in that way 

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like it 1

For each League there will be four play-offs i.e. 16 teams. League A and B have 12 teams ea. Each group winner takes a spot in the semi finals. If the group winner is already one of twenty qualified teams rankings will be used to give the play-off spot to another team of the league e.g. 4 from League B and 8 from League C.

So it will be important to try and finish as high as possible to preserve our ranking, It will be interesting to see how it works out. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, kbxk508 said:

For each League there will be four play-offs i.e. 16 teams. League A and B have 12 teams ea. Each group winner takes a spot in the semi finals. If the group winner is already one of twenty qualified teams rankings will be used to give the play-off spot to another team of the league e.g. 4 from League B and 8 from League C.

So it will be important to try and finish as high as possible to preserve our ranking, It will be interesting to see how it works out. 

Yes that's how it was explained on video at UEFA site. 

Guys read below especially the underlined... It clearly says 1 Team from each league will qualify to the Euros... meaning each league is Group A B C D.. 

Euro 2020 qualifying play-offsEdit

Teams which fail in the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying group stage may still qualify for the final tournament via the play-offs. Each league in the UEFA Nations League will be allocated one of the four remaining UEFA Euro 2020 places. Four teams from each league which have not already qualified for the European Championship finals will compete in the play-offs of their league, to be played in March 2020. The play-off berths will be first allocated to each group winner, and if any of the group winners have already qualified for the European Championship finals, then to the next best ranked team of the league, etc.

• Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic