2018-2019 UEFA Nations League C

Argy

My prediction on the starting line up for the first game:

Gianniotis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis

Samaris/Tziolis.  Zeca

Lazaros Fortounis Donis

Mitroglou

Hopefully Tsimikas gets a shot. I don't know what going on with Stafylidis. Tziolis shouldn't start but this is Skibbe. 

Donis most likely plays on the left with either Pelkas or Bakasetas (shouldn't be in the team) coming on. I think Retsos might be coming back in time but I'm not counting on it. Isn't it only his wrist?

Mitroglou is questionable as he hasn't played and is probably not match fit. He is our only option. Koulouris and Manias are not good enough yet. I just want to win regardless. I have the team first before a player. But if Tziolis starts he will be sabotaging us. I believe if Fetfatzidis is on the bench and comes on it will do us no harm, it will in fact benefit us if Lazaros or Fortounis are gassed and also there defence will be tired and he will exploit them. 

• Like it 1

bakasetas plays very well for AEK and is a key player but he's best as a CF and I'd rather have fortounis or mantalos as CAM than baka.

do we need vlacho though? pasxalakis seems more promising and we also got karnezis and gianniotis too as well.

I doubt vlacho would get chosen for germany they're so gifted in the GK spot.

panathinaikos is a mid table greek team now. they're no longer top 4 and may never be top 4 again after the financial issues it suffered and ban from uefa competition.

Edited by georgelaz

Yeah Bakasetas looks ok with AEK but with national team he can't do anything and isn't dangerous. Yes he played on the wing which is not his best position. He is not fast enough. At best he should play CF. For CAM we got Fortounis, Pelkas and Mantalos. The only good thing that I like about him is his shooting. His passing is ok but his shooting is his best attribute. Also free kicks. 

Tachtsidis would probably get called up because of Skibbe. He shouldn't be because he has dissapointed. If he played well in the in qualifying and the friendlies like score or assist, he would be called up regardless if he has a team or not. But so far he has no team and hasn't performed up to standards either so he should be out. Give it to someone who has something to prove like an Androutsos or Galanopoulos. 

Yeah I'm not sure about Vlacho. I think Barkas and Gianniotis are good enough back ups to Karenzis. Paschalakis is good enough to be in the team. It would be good to add him for depth. 

Even though Panathinaikos are a mid table team they have some players with potential to be in this team in a years time. I hear good things about Bouzoukis who is 19 and the left back Chatzitheodoridis. Their main objective would be to stay alive in the league.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

i can quote anybody here so some thoughts based on what you guys are saying. first of all samaris turned out the option to play in saudi arabia and he will keep playing in benfica. 

also vlachodimos needs to get called up. paschalakis is not more promising as he's 5-6 years older than him. gianniotis and mparkas are nothing special at the moment and karnezis is getting older. 

tsimikas, galanopoulos, limnios and the rest of u21 players might not be around this time even though all deserve a shot in the senior nt. 

so to sum up i'd like a starting squad like that for the next games in september.

vlachodimos 

stafylidis  sokratis  manolas lykogiannis 

samaris zeca 

lazaros fortounis donis

mitroglou

Lyko over Bakakis? I understand he has more size so would be more solid on flank but Bakakis is on fire right now and is a proper RB while Lyko is a LB.

I'd rather have Bakakis or Retsos at RB. Lyko as backup LB mayhaps

why would we start vlacho for nations league? is karnezis injured?

for once we actually have solid wingers in donis and lazaros but inherited a new cm problem lol.

Edited by georgelaz

44 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

Lyko over Bakakis? I understand he has more size so would be more solid on flank but Bakakis is on fire right now and is a proper RB while Lyko is a LB.

for once we actually have solid wingers in donis and lazaros but inherited a new cm problem lol.

karnezis has not been in form as of late. His stint at Watford was sup-par and now with the transfer to Napoli, it looks as if he will be third in the pecking order under meret and ospina. 

Vlacho has been in good form in the league and is young too. wouldnt mind him getting some playing time during the Nations League.

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

I don't think many have people have seen much of Lykogiannis and I would love to seem him given a good shot a Left Back, it's a real shame he has not being given more than a few minutes here and there

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, MelbourneGreek said:

karnezis has not been in form as of late. His stint at Watford was sup-par and now with the transfer to Napoli, it looks as if he will be third in the pecking order under meret and ospina. 

Vlacho has been in good form in the league and is young too. wouldnt mind him getting some playing time during the Nations League.

Karnezis had a good game in Napoli's 2-1 win over Lazio on the weekend. 

Karnezis won starting spot as GK in one season over an established keeper. He's also better than Ospina/Contini when in form. He's also a class above any other greek keeper atm.

Kapino unfairly got sent to reserves to Oly after a bad game vs. AEK. later to findout that Lazaros was the player of the season. He's probably our true second best keeper. Put on a remarkable performance vs. Belgium and still very young for a GK.

Pasxalakis for the here in now is very in form and 27 is a baby for a GK.

Karnezis is the one who is playing at the highest level, won the starting job at Udinese over an up and coming GK, won the job at Watford and currently has the job in Napoli (not sure how long that is).  Usually consistent outside of penalties. 

Kapino has had a rough last year, still has promise.

Paschalakis/Barkas/Giannotis - all three have been solid with Paschalakis standing out because of the first two rounds of CL.

Vlacho - played well for PAO last year and is playing well for Benfica.  They really like there, see him being sold for a big fee.

• Like it 1

ooo vlacho is at benfica now I understand why people want him called up haha. 

Is Karnezis actually bad at pens or are we just using the costa rica pk shootout when he was injured to make that assertion? 

18 hours ago, georgelaz said:

bakakis is limited offensively, he's only good on his defensive tasks. can't do much with the ball on his feet too, unlikey lykogiannis who has a great cross and overall is a better player than him. he should take the starting spot now with torosidis ageing.

1 hour ago, georgelaz said:

Is Karnezis actually bad at pens or are we just using the costa rica pk shootout when he was injured to make that assertion? 

Don't think he's saved a penalty in his professional career. Not since he became the NT's starting Goalkeeper back around 2012 at least not that I can remember. (he may have saved 1)
Some keepers have a very good record when it comes to penalty's, most are average. He has a poor record. 

• Like it 1

Paschalakis had a very good game today against Benfica. Especially the second half. Made like 4 crucial saves. I think there is no doubt he will be called up. Pelkas has a lot of energy and is probably our most fittest player. He presses hard which is good and can take on players. He just didn't have enough support in the attacking play. A commentator even said he reminds him of Karagounis playing style. The goal PAOK scored started from Pelkas free kick. Limnios wasn't that involved today, that's why he was subbed off for Warda who scored the goal. PAOK have a good team and their Cbs Varela and Crespo did very well. 

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, georgelaz said:

ooo vlacho is at benfica now I understand why people want him called up haha. 

Georgelaz, how much do you actually watch?

Karnezis has saved 1 penalty the last 8 years lol he goes the wrong way on most too

14 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Paschalakis had a very good game today against Benfica. Especially the second half. Made like 4 crucial saves. I think there is no doubt he will be called up. Pelkas has a lot of energy and is probably our most fittest player. He presses hard which is good and can take on players. 

Paschalakis was a beast today. Pelkas is a great little player. 

Pas really should get called up 

Boxou sorry disagree with you. Bakakis does have a lot to offer offensively. Go check highlights vs Egypt. He was best RB in Greece last year and has started this yr exactly same way. Runs his ass off all day. Exactly what we need on our NT. He should be starter hands down.

Guys Karnezis might be inform at the moment but he is the absolute worst goal keeper I've ever seen when it comes to penalty kicks... I mean by luck you should save even 20% which he doesn't... 90% of the time he guesses the wrong way.. I understand a Goalie shouldn't  be judged on penalties alone but imo he is one of the worst I've ever seen. You can bet the only way an opposing team doesn't score on us is if they miss the net.. As far as him being our best goalie at the moment that might be true but he is an average goalie who has a lot of brain lapses when playing for the NT... 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

Georgelaz, how much do you actually watch?

Karnezis has saved 1 penalty the last 8 years lol he goes the wrong way on most too

I've been a fan since just before the 2004  euros so quite a lot. I just can't recall the PKs against him except the costa rica game

pasxalakis is very good at pks. he has a great acrobatic style. underrated. 

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 2

Karnezis is an average gk, Skibbe should try someone else in the Nations league. The goal he allowed to Ruiz in the Costa Rica game was mind boggling. Also when it comes to penalties he never seems to come up with a save, the only stop I remember is in the 2014 World Cup qualifier in Bosnia but then the rebound was put in the net.

• Like it 1

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic