Phantis Forums

2018-2019 UEFA Nations League C

Argy

Guys I truly think our success is going to live and die with our midfield. If we can't figure that position out and find 2 competent starters we will struggle to qualify.. Our back is set and we can play around with our winger  but as long as we struggle to find a competent midfield we will always be searching for answers in the wrong positions..  I don't know what the answer is a and who should start. Taxi had potential but he's lazy and doesn't cut it so I don't want him there, I also don't want Tziolis there, so I guess that leaves Samaris who I'm not to thrilled about, Zeca and kourb…. This is our real challenge as we are razor thin at this position..

Pelkas plays fantastic at LM. he's good at cutting in and is as close to double footed as you can get in. got a motm in the greek cup semi final playing there too 2017 4-0 win vs. pao

Edited by georgelaz

Katsouranis used to be a good player back in the day. Tziolis was average at best most of his career and now he has been playing the worst he ever has. He is not up to it anymore. Even if he wants to he is nowhere near good enough in this era. I think the game against Egypt he didnt do as bad as normal and even at times did better than Tachtsidis. 

Tachtsidis seriously needs to get his s%$#! together as he has talent. It feels similar like a Ninis situation, doesn't want to work hard and probably doesn't even care that much. If he did he would be playing at a higher level like a Serie A or Bundesliga. He hasn't found a club a yet so my best guess would be Samaris and Zeca for the midfield. We need a midfielder with balls who can lift the team and create chances. Skibbe would be a madman to start Tziolis. 

• Like it 1

On 8/13/2018 at 7:51 PM, nick said:

Let’s not insult Katsuranis by comparing him to tziolis late in their careers. Kats played for benfica and was a difference maker. Also played for big Greek clubs.. tziolis isn’t wanted by any Greek clubs 

Tziolis was serviceable DM for a coupe of years, but those are long gone. Katsouranis was a CL level player for a good many years. Hard to compare the two. 

I think that sums it up well Argy.

The whole Skibbe-Tziolis thing is a joke to be honest and one of a few reasons Skibbe’s credibility has to be questioned although his winning % speaks to that. 

September & League of Nations should be judgement day for EPO on Skibbe

You are wrong, maybe Samaris not so wrong but Galanopoulos is a completely different player to Tziolis and there is no chance he will look equally bad as slow Tziolis, Kourbelis is also more mobile and faster with the ability to move up and down the field faster and better than Tziolis which had been the big part of the issue to out static play and why, guys like Lazaros struggle after coming from a fluid team play at club level

This is realistically who we have to choose from for our midfield

Galanopoulos, Bouchalakis, Kourbelis, Zeca, Samaris, Pelkas, Fortounis and Mantalos oops I forgot Tziolis. Really hope he's done with picking him.

1 hour ago, Alphonse said:

You are wrong, maybe Samaris not so wrong but Galanopoulos is a completely different player to Tziolis and there is no chance he will look equally bad as slow Tziolis, Kourbelis is also more mobile and faster with the ability to move up and down the field faster and better than Tziolis which had been the big part of the issue to out static play and why, guys like Lazaros struggle after coming from a fluid team play at club level

That's correct. That's the things with Lazaros a few months ago. He came back to the team and didn't do much. That's why I believe that Fetfatzidis can single handle teams like Hungary and Estonia. He has the technical ability no like one else in our team. I don't mind seeing him coming off the bench but a player with talent deserves to start. He can also be a good impact sub. I like the way Pelkas has been playing lately. He is fast and presses the defence well which leads to him having an opportunity to score. He Is becoming a very good player. 

On 8/15/2018 at 3:19 AM, georgelaz said:

we need Samaris to get his form back. The 5-6 games I saw of tachtsidis he was good for Oly. 

Samaris and Zeca in form would be the ideal for next 2 years.

I don’t understand this love affair with Samaris.  Not trying to pick a fight, but he hasn’t been in form for over 2 years.  Same goes for Mitroglou and Taxi.  None of these players has played a consistent month of football in years.  Samaris has been a bench warmer for 2 years.  Mitroglou the same and Taxi I don’t even know.

The best thing that could happen is for Skibbe to not call any of them.  When queried by the media, as he would be, he should respond “when players start caring more about their form than their salary, they will be duly rewarded”.  Right now, these guys don’t care because they know they’ll get selected no matter what, because apparently once upon time, they played well.  I’m not saying their arseholes who take the NT for granted, I’m saying they’ve been “taught” bad ways by a manager who lacks guts and doesn’t know how to make a team given the other players at his disposal.  He also appears to lack imagination.

It's also the fact there aren't many options in some positions either. Tachtsidis I believe is talented but has proven time and time again that he is very inconsistent. Mitroglou is too slow for me and shouldn't be guaranteed the starting position. Karelis is an option and that's about it. Donis is a winger mostly. Some are not motivated and that's a problem and that's also on the individual. Players like Sokratis, Manolas and Retsos are always motivated and they want to stay on top. We are lucky to have Retsos in my opinion. He has the right attitude and seems like a hard worker. Talent only takes you so far and if your not willing to put in the work and are not motivated then you shouldn't be near a national team let alone a pro footballer. We need fighters in this team. Also players willing to achieve big things. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

It's also the fact there aren't many options in some positions either. Tachtsidis I believe is talented but has proven time and time again that he is very inconsistent. Mitroglou is too slow for me and shouldn't be guaranteed the starting position. Karelis is an option and that's about it. Donis is a winger mostly. Some are not motivated and that's a problem and that's also on the individual. Players like Sokratis, Manolas and Retsos are always motivated and they want to stay on top. We are lucky to have Retsos in my opinion. He has the right attitude and seems like a hard worker. Talent only takes you so far and if your not willing to put in the work and are not motivated then you shouldn't be near a national team let alone a pro footballer. We need fighters in this team. Also players willing to achieve big things. 

If Sokratis' work ethic and attitude, and Manolas' competitiveness rub off on Retsos and Mavropanos, among others, we will be set in the CB position for the next decade, if not more. The talent is there. 

• Like it 1

Samaris unironically heading for Arabia. There goes his form lads. There goes him tryharding in a competitive league to be selected by Benfica coaches. Zeka is our only midfielder playing for prwtathlitismo in a Championship above Superleague level.

Kourbelis injured 6-7 months / year and Galanopoulos evolving into a good player are our only hopes for the midfield apparently, but right now we ll clearly have noone.

Yes samaris will be the same talentwise stop BSing me but a player trying his best in training and getting in there with only target to win are what bring form to a player.

It seems like he's going to call up some of the guys that were called up during the Saudi friendly...  Also looks like he might be going away from Karnezis…  Lets see what he decides but I hope he gives Fetfa at the very least a call up..  

• Like it 2

Very important to callup Vlachodimo for the upcoming matches. If he wants to play for Germany that it should be voiced and he will thus become a foreigner and no need to mention him again. An invitation should be extended though. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic