Phantis Forums

2018-2019 UEFA Nations League C

Argy

14 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I don't think Tsanas was the reason for poor selection in my opinion. I believe Skibbe made those call ups and I still think we will see the same old s%$#! with him. I hope I'm wrong.

We will know come the first game who was responsible for those ridicules call ups.... Now if Tziolis is still on team and worse starting and Fetfa doesn't make the call up then we know it was Skibbe….

I don't know but if someone can back me up on this but I remember Skibbe said Tziolis played very well but I can't remember which game. Tziolis has never had a good game for the Ethniki. Skibbe is In my opinion is a yes man to someone. Playing Zeca, Mantalos, Stafylidis and Bakasetas means he is not confident enough to play the right people for that position. It's understandable that you want to play Mantalos and Fortounis in the same 11 but Zeca doesn't have to be in the wing. What wrong with playing Pelkas on the wing or Gianniotas against Croatia in the 1st leg. That's just an example. 

• Like it 2

48 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

I don't know but if someone can back me up on this but I remember Skibbe said Tziolis played very well but I can't remember which game. Tziolis has never had a good game for the Ethniki. Skibbe is In my opinion is a yes man to someone. Playing Zeca, Mantalos, Stafylidis and Bakasetas means he is not confident enough to play the right people for that position. It's understandable that you want to play Mantalos and Fortounis in the same 11 but Zeca doesn't have to be in the wing. What wrong with playing Pelkas on the wing or Gianniotas against Croatia in the 1st leg. That's just an example. 

tziolis did have a good game. I think it was against egypt where we won. Tziolis also got the game winning header vs. cyprus. It's not so much that he's bad it's that he's not good anymore. He's dead weight. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Dean97 said:

i think he was talking about his game against bosnia, where we missed both samaris and tachtsidis (he was in form that time) and we had to start tziolis for the first time in these qualifiers. 

i also think he played ok in that game regarding the circumstances. (zeca had his first nt start as well, as well as kourmpelis recorded his first cap in the injury time). he had a couple of terrible mistakes but we didn't really surrender the midfield like we do against such opposition. 

overall the blame shouldn't be on tziolis who plays up to his qualities, but to that clown skibbe who can't realise his qualities are not enough for us.

• Like it 2

All i know is there are better and we are not utilising them. We can't rely on him. His hasn't got quality anymore. He is also too slow. He did do ok against Egypt and Bosnia but all the other games he made a lot of mistakes. Anyway we know this and it's time for him to hang up the boots for the national team. 

Skibbe/Tsanas seem to just pick players based on the jumper they’re wearing.  Watch Fetfa getting call ups soon.  Not that he doesn’t deserve it, but if you’re going to call him up now then you should’ve called him up earlier.  Likewise Samaris who hasn’t played a proper game in 3 years and shouldn’t be anywhere near the NT (my opinion) but because he “plays” for Benfica he gets call ups.  Tziolis is just a mystery.  Good boy but hasn’t been at the level required for years now.

The truth is our midfield is in a sad state.  Samaris, Taxi, Tziolis sorry guys they are not NT quality.  If I was an opposition manager and that’s your midfield, I’d be rubbing my hands together.  That midfield is about as scary as a mouse.  The only half decent midfielders we have are Zeca and Kourbelis.  That’s it.  Yes they aren’t technical but they run and fight and don’t need to have their hands held.  They are just work horses nothing else.

As for the forwards, that’s another story again.  Yes Mitroglou is striking fear into the hearts of opposition defences ha ha.  Sad to say but I miss the days of Samaras who could actually control the ball and have just a little composure.

• Like it 6

21 hours ago, Bananas said:

Skibbe/Tsanas seem to just pick players based on the jumper they’re wearing.  Watch Fetfa getting call ups soon.  Not that he doesn’t deserve it, but if you’re going to call him up now then you should’ve called him up earlier.  Likewise Samaris who hasn’t played a proper game in 3 years and shouldn’t be anywhere near the NT (my opinion) but because he “plays” for Benfica he gets call ups.  Tziolis is just a mystery.  Good boy but hasn’t been at the level required for years now.

The truth is our midfield is in a sad state.  Samaris, Taxi, Tziolis sorry guys they are not NT quality.  If I was an opposition manager and that’s your midfield, I’d be rubbing my hands together.  That midfield is about as scary as a mouse.  The only half decent midfielders we have are Zeca and Kourbelis.  That’s it.  Yes they aren’t technical but they run and fight and don’t need to have their hands held.  They are just work horses nothing else.

As for the forwards, that’s another story again.  Yes Mitroglou is striking fear into the hearts of opposition defences ha ha.  Sad to say but I miss the days of Samaras who could actually control the ball and have just a little composure.

I agree 100% about the first paragraph. But I don't think any of our current midfielders are the answer. I hate to say it but Kourbelis is very average. Definitely better than Tziolis and who isn't. Zeca definately needed in midfield. Question marks are for who plays next to him. We haven't qualified for a major tournament in 4 years with Tziolis, Tachtsidis and Samaris. I'll let that sink in for a second. 

I also miss Samaras but I believe Donis will hold down the fort on the wing for many years to come, I'm counting on it. Mitroglou is the only striker we have really. That should definitely be a concern. Karelis is like Kyriakos, very injury prone. The only other possible option is Manos and then again who knows what happens with him in the long term. Douvikas is an up and coming player who we should keep an eye on. Only 18 and wanted by many clubs abroad, especially la liga. 

I just hope our future generation surpasses our current group of players. Players like Kampetsis, Douvikas, Michelis, Mandas, Antzoulas, Kyriakopoulos and so on should be playing senior football week in and week out so that they become something more than our current group. 

Watch Fetfa getting call ups soon.  Not that he doesn’t deserve it, but if you’re going to call him up now then you should’ve called him up earlier.   

This was said brilliantly.

You peeps are braindead.

Tziolis has been getting bashed on for getting called up while playing in Saudi Arabia and you were all saying that Fetfa, who was also playing at an arab country, still deserved a call up?

Also, in the other post. I asked for people to comment the "better" midfielders they believe we have (someone even said there are 6-7 before Tziolis) and I still haven't gotten an answer. Turns out here in this topic there are people who unironically understand that our midfield will be problematic no matter who plays coz we simply do not have a midfielder worth a damn. Noone who would be NT starter material in the 2004-2014 era. So bite your lips and hope some1 shows up or we re not qualifying for anything in the near future.

30 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

You peeps are braindead.

Tziolis has been getting bashed on for getting called up while playing in Saudi Arabia and you were all saying that Fetfa, who was also playing at an arab country, still deserved a call up?

Also, in the other post. I asked for people to comment the "better" midfielders they believe we have (someone even said there are 6-7 before Tziolis) and I still haven't gotten an answer. Turns out here in this topic there are people who unironically understand that our midfield will be problematic no matter who plays coz we simply do not have a midfielder worth a damn. Noone who would be NT starter material in the 2004-2014 era. So bite your lips and hope some1 shows up or we re not qualifying for anything in the near future.

Yes, look at the posts again and I had mentioned Zeca, Kourbelis, Taxi, Sokratis, Torosidis, Petsos, Jedinak and Galanopoulos and more, that would do a better job as a DM, any day. I say they are better, you say they are not. Well, Tziolis can't play and Fetfatzidis can, has speed, skill even if he played in the Indian Super League. Tziol has Nothing. I prefer Maniatis.

Whilst manscaping I thought, I can only do so much but if this keeps going, Reaper, Akritis, La Mendel, Dean 97 and Lazo are going to vote you out of the A list crowd, with our virtual reality Frappes via television link!

Edited by ausgreek

50 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Yes, look at the posts again and I had mentioned Zeca, Kourbelis, Taxi, Sokratis, Torosidis, Petsos, Jedinak and Galanopoulos and more, that would do a better job as a DM, any day. I say they are better, you say they are not. Well, Tziolis can't play and Fetfatzidis can, has speed, skill even if he played in the Indian Super League. Tziol has Nothing. I prefer Maniatis.

Whilst manscaping I thought, I can only do so much but if this keeps going, Reaper, Akritis, La Mendel, Dean 97 and Lazo are going to vote you out of the A list crowd, with our virtual reality Frappes via television link!

Where is Petsos mate? Is he still playing? He is not even called up.
Torosidis as DM? You do realise that Torosidis has been our biggest loss whenever he is missing from the Ethniki right? Apart from Manolas vs Croatia, whenever Toro was missing we couldn't really do much. offensively from the back.

Maniatis is equally terrible playing for the Apollona Kalamarias of Turkey alongside Tzavella.

Kourbelis , Zeka and Samaris I agree but they are all exclusively defensive. Tziolis can pass and has vision. He was an 8 with attacking attribtues in most of his career and was only changed by Paok to fit the team.

• Like it 1

People bashing Samaris because of his poor performances and claiming he shouldn't be around the nt ever since 2014 is a nonsense. 

come on, tell me 1 player that has been overlooked only for Samaris to start/get called up. Only ONE....

1 hour ago, Boxou said:

People bashing Samaris because of his poor performances and claiming he shouldn't be around the nt ever since 2014 is a nonsense. 

come on, tell me 1 player that has been overlooked only for Samaris to start/get called up. Only ONE....

galanopoulos but he got called. barely plays though

Samaris is quality though when he's in form he's our best cm/cdm

On 7/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, Bananas said:

Well said

Galanopoulos Overlooked?

Why does any youth that gets a bit playtime in a top 3 team (saddly Pao is off the equasion) in the current year suddendly become a "better midfielder than X or Y or Z". 

He is still 20 and he is not bad definately deserves call ups but I wouldn't hang on a 20 year old to be a starter midfielder.

Like what bananas said, Skibbe/Tsanas chose players off the clubs they play for not based on ability or playing time. Galanopoulos played more games last season than Samaris but because Samaris plays for Benfica he gets chosen. 

I actually like Samaris but we have used him the past 4 years and we havent qualified. Unless I must be missing something. Tachtsidis and Tziolis are too slow and have been used the past 4 years. With both having 1 good game each. Against Belgium and Cyprus. I can't remember another game where they played very well. Saying that Tziolis can pass and has vision must be a joke. Yeah maybe in 2007 but from 2010 and to now he has been useless, very slow and only makes sideward or backward passes. There a better players. 

Zeca has been an upgrade to this team. Mostly based on his work rate off the ball. His hunger and spirit has helped this team. Androutsos and Galanopoulos I don't think are the answer now but the next person tried should be Kourbelis. Similar to Zeca and has had experience playing alongside him. You can't go wrong in the first match against Estonia by playing them together. 

On to our fullbacks. This is another question mark. We need to have someone solid defensively in that position. The reason I say this is because our talented Cbs are always covering for them when they get beaten or Zeca has to cover also. Stafylidis and Bakakis are not that strong physically. Retsos could work out there. Lykogiannis aswell. Our midfield and fullback positions should be given more attention. The goal keeper is Karnezis, Sokratis and Manolas have it at Cb, Fortounis or Mantalos should start as the number 10, while Lazaros and Donis are on the flanks with Mitroglou up front. Torosidis should be a squad player. I don't know if has the lungs anymore. Tziolis should be out, while Samaris and Tachtsidis are on the bench. 

50 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

Last time Samaris played well was 49 months ago. 

If we are to going to qualify for anything anytime soon, it is time to move on. Evolution 

Everyone is asking for X (X being Samaris, Tachtsidis, Tziolis) to get benched but noone is really proposing a solution.
You can propose everyone you want. Petsos?Galanopoulos?Siopis? Stafylidis/Toro at DM?
Noone is gonna have an impact.

You re all delusional and until you realise our midfield is for now beyond terrible (adding the fact that Kourbelis-Galanopoulos-Siopis who were our only hopes for a decent midfield in the previous summers) are not movinganytime soon in a proper competitive league to get experience we will still be forced to play the Zeka-Samaris-Tziolis trio.

We just gotta focus on our defence and offence working and set pieces has to be our key because in all honesty, if you have no transition from such a good defence to a very decent offence you re gonna lack communication between the lines.
(talking about Fortounis not having to Play low in the midfield to pass the ball up front but being a receiver from a decent pass that will unlock Mitroglou/Donis/Whoever from defenders and help them score.
Our current transition in counter attack, which has always been our strong spot, is passing from defence/DMs to Fortounis who is around the midfield and he will carry it to offense. But he has the talent to be the receiver from a pass a box-to-box gives him , which will force defenders on him and unmark strikers.
That one player is missing right now. It was Karagounis at his late career stage, who then passed the ball to the wings(but we also had decent wingers then - actually they were bad wingers but good and smart footballers) so our counter attack has gone to the garbage whenever we face semi decent (talking about Hungary-Finland tier) opposition. That's why I bet half our goals in the last campaign were scored from set pieces

Anyone you name is no box to box. They are all koftes. Pws na ot kanoume. Spammarete 10 atoma "kalytera apo ton Tzioli" poy einai oloi koftes re paidia. Poses fores na to pw na to katalavete. Vale 2 kalous koftes sti thesi tou Tzioli pali provlima tha exoume mprosta. Den ine thema paikti einai thema thesis. Kai stin sugkekrimeni thesi, creative mid ESTW ENA REGISTA den exoume soiko oute gia plaka. None of them can pass the ball in a way that makes the opponent defence break. Tachtsidis definition of Regista but he is lazy and declining year after year. Galanopoulos can be b2b, coz boy can pass and usually is seen up front in the opposition box when playing for Aek but he is mostly doint dirty defensive work. 

Mantalos as an 8 is a solution indeed but you can't expect an attacking mid to be prosilwmenos at his defensive duties. He ll let himself loose for a moment and maybe the whole defensive mechanism goes cuckoo.

MATHETE BALITSA AGORIA MU.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

9 hours ago, georgelaz said:

galanopoulos but he got called. barely plays though

Samaris is quality though when he's in form he's our best cm/cdm

Galanopoulos is around only for about 1 year. I asked for you guys to tell me who deserves a call up more than Samaris who according to you doesn't belong to the NT ever since 2015. Can you name 1 guy that has been constantly overlooked for Samaris?

Pote den eixame tetoio paixth sto kento. O teleutaios pou thymamai einai o Tsiartas kai autos einai dekari. Kai den nomizw na vgaloume kai pote, uparxei thema sthn paragwgikh diadikasia gi auto kai vgazoume amyntikous me to tsouvali kai kana-dyo akraious pou einai borderline top-5 league material. Gia center for den to syzhtaw kan, teleutaios htan o Karelis kai prin apo auton o Gekas. Eytyxws pou o Mitroglou emathe mpalitsa Germania, auta gia na deite pws douleutai enas paixth me to IQ kai th mpala pou (den) kserei o Mitroglou se sovares ypodomes.

Sto nations league oi antipaloi den einai tipota megathyria wste na mhn mporeis na valeis th mpala katw akoma kai me Zeca/Samarh sto kentro, terastia eukairia na paroume peripou 12-14 pontous apo auta ta paixnidia, kerdizontas ola ta entos kai isws kapoia Estonia ektos, poly kalo to oti paizoume poly nwris to ektos (8 septembriou) kai den tha mas faei o pagetos toy Noembriou. Oi Ouggroi kai oi Finlandoi einai aprovleptoi, tha ksekinhsw me vash to X kai vlepoume.

Na pw gia osous den kseroun oti h omada pou tha parei tous perissoterous vathmous anamesa kai stous 4 omilous tha paiksei entos edras KAI ton hmiteliko KAI ton teliko o opoios dinei eishthrio gia to Euro. Xazeua prin apo ligo ta alla group kai mou fainontai ola arketa isorrophmena, den nomizw na parei kamia omada panw apo 14 vathmous. Exoume to pio eukolo group kai mia terastia eukairia mprosta mas gia na paroume  panw katw 15 pontous pou thewrw aplhsiasto noumero gia opoiadhpote prwtoporo apo tous allous omilous. Kai gia tou logou to alithes, oriste kai ta group peran tou dikou mas. 

A Omilos; Skwtia, Alvania, Israhl

B Omilos; Ellada, Ougkaria, Esthonia, Finlandia

G Omilos; Slovenia, Voulgaria, Kypros, Norvhgia

D Omilos; Servia, Roumania, Maurovounio, Lithouania

Tavani oi 12 pontoi gia ton prwtoporo kathe omilou, plhn tou dikou mas pou pisteuw oti einai o eukoloteros, stous allous yparxoun dyskoles edres kai oi legomenes "mikres" tha kanoun zhmies.

Ta pragmata einai apla, mazeueis 14-15 pontous kai exeis to kefali sou hsyxo, eksafalizeis prwtia kai kata 99% hmiteliko kai teliko sto OAKA (logika). An den perasoume tha einai egklhma, an kai oi Servoi einai fanera anwteroi apo emas einai megalo avantaz to na paizeis tetoia paixnidia entos edras.

5 hours ago, Boxou said:

Galanopoulos is around only for about 1 year. I asked for you guys to tell me who deserves a call up more than Samaris who according to you doesn't belong to the NT ever since 2015. Can you name 1 guy that has been constantly overlooked for Samaris?

never said Samaris doesn't belong in the NT since 2015. in fact he was my avatar up till early 2017. I'm saying Gala's performance last season compared to Samaris's last eason would warrant Gala starting over him. In a 23 man squad Samaris almost certainly should be in the squad.

• Like it 1

On 7/28/2018 at 8:25 PM, Dean97 said:

Dean, I think our best wingers would be Donis & Lazaros for sure. It's very hard to determine because form changes season to season. Fortounis actually looks reborn again this season judging from friendlies so will likely take back the throne as ellas number 10.

DM's most in form are Galanopoulos + Zeca.. possibly tachtsi tbh he was one of the better oly players.

so total form wise no skibbe hat

mitroglou

donis fortounis  lazaros

zeca gala

holebas sokrati manolas bakakis

karnezis

on the right flank you have the AEK chem connection = lazaros / bakakis/gala. lazaros and bakakis in particular put together some tricky overlapping runs.

I think biggest question mark is that  one CDM spots. 

Torosidis? = who plays very well for NT now with oly, captain candidate

Tachtsi? = who shows up sometimes and sometimes doesn't eg) assist vs belgium and goals and assists vs. AEK in derbys and can distribute very well

Samaris? = relegated to squad rotation but when in form our best CM/CDM by far. can also slot back at cdm but also has good reading of playing for interception eg) ivory coast game and defense eg) champions league for benfica where he was motm and dropped back as CB too

gala? = young but key player for AEKs superleague win also great chem with bakakis and lazaros if played on the right?

kpaps = concede the midfield and play 3atb. when kpaps is available he's a class above our cm's. think of the games all 3 of our cb's starts manolas sokratis kpaps. very few goals are conceded if any at all. (siovas/retsos in case he goes down)

zeca = a sure starter. guys work rates put rest of the greeks to shame. not technically gifted but he offers us what maniatis used to offer the NT/ethniki. an engine who can frustrate and take other teams playmkers out of the game. frustrated KDB of belgium (he was non-factor the most in form CAM cuz of lil old zeca). shouldve marked elephantos.

kourbelis = pao is struggling so hard now so hard to judge his quality. looked just as good if not better than zeca though when they were together and worked well together for years as a partnership. one of the frew bright lights for pao.

fortounis = play fortounis deep and let mantalos get 10 role. let zeca do the dirty work and let fortounis provide the needed link DEEP to the wings/strikers/mantalos. fortounis is nearly double footed too. distrubution skills overall better than tachtsi and not as slow. though tachtsi provides the ability to win long balls with his chest and height.

bouchalakis/tziolis/maniatis = dont really consider any of these three over the above 8 unless they somehow get in miracolous form.

• Like it 1

Papadopoulos is not an option in this thread Nations League will be September November and he sinjured for almost whole season I believe.
Karagounis was such a player as I said in his late career. He started a 10 and when he dropped due to age at an 8 he was the one carrying the ball and passing to offensive players. Fortounis cannot really carry the ball and shouldn't. He got vision and he should be the pre last touch in every attack.

The problem with any1 proposing to play fortou/mantalo deep is that it's a risk for the defensive line since you can't really expect a classical 10 to be 100% on his defensive duties. 

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

8 hours ago, Boxou said:

No there is noone and that's what I have been saying for the last 2-3 days. Noone likes our midfielders yet noone knows someone who is better. There are many who "deserve" a call up but noone to be really the secret ingredient to success. Everyone thinks we re still the Nation that won the Euro. Well snap back to reality.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic