Phantis Forums

2018-2019 UEFA Nations League C

Argy

The matches (days and kickoff times) are confirmed by UEFA:

Saturday 8 September 2018: Finland v Hungary (18:00), Estonia v Greece (20:45)

Tuesday 11 September 2018: Hungary v Greece (20:45), Finland v Estonia (20:45)

Friday 12 October 2018: Greece v Hungary (20:45), Estonia v Finland (20:45)

Monday 15 October 2018: Estonia v Hungary (20:45), Finland v Greece (20:45)

Thursday 15 November 2018: Greece v Finland (20:45), Hungary v Estonia (20:45)

Sunday 18 November 2018: Hungary v Finland (20:45), Greece v Estonia (20:45)

All times CET

38 minutes ago, Brklyngrk said:

So the format is that we need to win our group for promotion. All group winners from the same level (in our case C), will play our knockout style tournament to decide a place in the Euros. Is this correct?

There are two ways to reach the EURO 2020:

UEFA Nations League: all you need to know (from http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2079553.html#/):

League C

Pot 1: Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia
Pot 2: Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway
Pot 3: Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland
Pot 4: Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Teams will be split into one group of three (containing teams from Pots 1, 2 and 3 only) and three groups of four.

Due to winter venue restrictions, a group can contain a maximum of two of these teams: Norway, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania.

The four group winners are promoted to League B, with the four sides that finish bottom relegated to League D for the 2020 edition.

The top four ranked teams that do not qualify for UEFA EURO 2020 will enter a play-off in March 2020, with one finals place on offer.

• Like it 1

Guys if we are going to start worrying about teams like Estonia then we have bigger issues to worry about. I don't care were we play Estonia.. Will it be easy NO should it be that difficult NO... If we expect our team to be joining tournaments on a regular and if we consider our team a lot better then most people do if we field a proper line up then we shouldn't fear these teams. Estonia has improved but they're still a minnow. If we cant beat them then we don't deserve to advance... If Skibbe smartens up and we use Donis,, and have Karelis, and get rid of the usual suspects and play a little more balanced with some more offence then we should top this group with 0 losses. If we don't top this group its because the wrong style and selections were made, but if we field our best 11 this group shouldn't be a problem for us.

• Like it 2

So we should put our trust in Donis, eh? He has scored 1 goal in 12 games so far in this season and he was mostly a starter. Neither he nor Karelis are that good. Our talent pool is still very limited. Among the youths only Retsos is top quality now. That means Skibbe should smarten up as you say or possibly we wont qualify.

1 hour ago, La Mendel said:

So we should put our trust in Donis, eh? He has scored 1 goal in 12 games so far in this season and he was mostly a starter. Neither he nor Karelis are that good. Our talent pool is still very limited. Among the youths only Retsos is top quality now. That means Skibbe should smarten up as you say or possibly we wont qualify.

I'm not saying put our trust all in Donis but name me one guy that we have that has should more promise with our NT? It is going to come down to Skibbe smarting up and choosing the best 11. If you want a guy that is performing consistently and I know there are a lot of guys who don’t like him and I’m not sold either but take a look at Fetfa... if we are basing our players on guys that are performing for their  club then how can you deny this guy a shot? is he at the very least not worth a look at one of our two upcoming friendlies? What's the harm? Even with our limited talent pool we're still better then the other teams in our group. If we get rid of Tziolis, Tzav, Man we immediately get better.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 3

Our matches start in September. So the question is how many friendlies will we have coming up to September? We need to be playing games in order to find new a way of gelling as a team. First thing Skibbe should do is to let go of Tziolis, Maniatis and Tzavellas. He needs to also start playing Kourbelis, Bakakis and Pelkas. He should also keep an eye on Fetfatzidis now that Mantalos and Karelis are sidelined. Hopefully Donis can not be the only one carrying the team in attack, so Fortounis and Mitroglou need to lift their socks up and combine with Donis to create and score goals. 

• Like it 2

17 hours ago, La Mendel said:

you do realise he's a winger and not a striker, plus he got injured right when he was gaining from for stuttgart? or you would like to watch him riding the bench so we can play stafylidis, mantalos and zeca who are not even wingers, on the wing, or that bust gianniotas who is not even a difference maker in spain's b division and shouldn't even be in the squad

23 hours ago, J1078 said:

I'm not saying put our trust all in Donis but name me one guy that we have that has should more promise with our NT? It is going to come down to Skibbe smarting up and choosing the best 11. If you want a guy that is performing consistently and I know there are a lot of guys who don’t like him and I’m not sold either but take a look at Fetfa... if we are basing our players on guys that are performing for their  club then how can you deny this guy a shot? is he at the very least not worth a look at one of our two upcoming friendlies? What's the harm? Even with our limited talent pool we're still better then the other teams in our group. If we get rid of Tziolis, Tzav, Man we immediately get better.

I name Retsos (OK, he is actually the only one who really has promise) but as for giving him a chance and him being worth a look I agree with you.

Edited by La Mendel
amplification

He got injured after he played six or seven games. He has only one goal and zero assists (surely a winger could supply some). He is a promising youngster (has pace and skills that enable him to beat his defender in one versus one etc.) but I fear he wont be a real asset. At international level he will probably be only goody goody.

Our talent pool is really pathetic. Thats why I dont blame Skibbe so hard. Otto had in 2004 much better midfielders than Skibbe has now (Basinas, Karagounis, Giannakopoulos, Katsouranis, Zagorakis, Tsiartas are all better than every possible midfielder except possibly Fortounis and Zeca), he had some quality attackers (even if they wernt Mitroglous) etc. Skibbe should solve our problems while there are only average and/or out-of-form players at his disposal. Granted. But he is not that astute as a tactician... essentially he is an above-average head coach of an above-average NT. If our players are not that special we should take a great coach. What we should have is a Rehhagel or a Santos. With a younger Rehhagel (he is 78 now I think) or Santos we would have qualified via play-offs. Skibbe made no-name Dalic (who will exit with Croatia after the group stage at the World Cup I bet - though with a REAL coach and players like Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic Croats could be medalists like in 1998) look like a Mourinho and his potentially strong but not that dangerous team like a group of Messis and Neymars.

tachtsidis and fortounis are linking up pretty well at oly lately.

donis is great and will be a star for us mark my words. but he's not our goal scorer. that's mitroglou.

midfield of = fortounis, tachtsi, zeca, fortounis, mantalos, samaris is good if they're all in form.

our main problem is form. an in form Samaris is very good. We saw what he did to Ivory Coast and also was MOM for Benfica deep in champions league.

Edited by georgelaz

15 hours ago, NikotheGreek said:

Kourbelis and Zeca to start together 

not really because none of them are pure attacking midfielders. so it's one of those 2 (imo kourmpelis should be given a chance even if zeca performed quite good lately, he's heading to 31 and kourmpelis will be around for the next 8-10 years. the other one should be either samaris or tachtsidis where i prefer samaris because he can do better than tachtsidis at this level. galanopoulos or charisis for the 5th midfielder. 

21 hours ago, georgelaz said:

tachtsidis and fortounis are linking up pretty well at oly lately.

donis is great and will be a star for us mark my words. but he's not our goal scorer. that's mitroglou.

midfield of = fortounis, tachtsi, zeca, fortounis, mantalos, samaris is good if they're all in form.

our main problem is form. an in form Samaris is very good. We saw what he did to Ivory Coast and also was MOM for Benfica deep in champions league.

pelkas has been superb for paok as well, already drawing interest from several european sides like stuttgart, besiktas and club brugge. paok would never sell him during the season but i could see such a transfer happening on summer. he has a 7m release clause.

with him and galanopoulos who's developing at aek we can add some depth to the squad once and for all. coz we already have a core of fortounis, mantalos, samaris, tachtsidis, zeca and kourmpelis.

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/01/2018 at 11:37 AM, J1078 said:

http://www.sport24.gr/Files/oi-ypopshfioi-gia-thn-ananewmenh-ethnikh-elladas.4993709.html

Skibbe promises changes and these are some of the players he will have his eye on especially for the friendlies.. If this is true its a positive sign.

That’s actually a great piece but dunno if the journo or Skibbe have an eye of those players, what I know is we need to start getting most of those guys into the team and leave out the “regular” dud call ups that’s been manditory on this team for... ever 

• Like it 1

On 26/01/2018 at 11:48 AM, J1078 said:

I'm not sold on having taxi as a starter. As far as Samaris goes I haven't seen the guy ever perform well for us. Maybe a game or two but realistically he has disappointed way more then he has impressed.

I think we need to move on from them two. They will always be around but we need to try new combos with Zeca. We didn’t faulter with Samaris-Tachtsidis for no reason

• Like it 1

10 hours ago, Alphonse said:

That’s actually a great piece but dunno if the journo or Skibbe have an eye of those players, what I know is we need to start getting most of those guys into the team and leave out the “regular” dud call ups that’s been manditory on this team for... ever 

Much has changed from when this article was written two months ago. Notably Karnezis now looks like a regular for Watford and Kapino found a team in Notthingham Forest. 

• 4 months later...

The League of Nations and how it impacts Euro2020:

League A:12 teams; 4 groups of 3

League B: 12 teams; 4 groups of 3

League C: 15 teams; 1 groups of 3 and 3 groups of 4

League D: 16 teams; 4 groups of 4

(55 teams)

--------------

Teams that top their group in League A go into a semi final and final to determine the UEFA Nations League winner in Jun-2019.

Teams that top their group in Leagues B, C and D get promoted to Leagues A, B and C respectively for 2020.

Teams that bottom their group in Leagues A, B and C get relegated to Leagues B, C and D respectively for 2020.

One League A group has Spain, England and Croatia; and so one of these nations will be relegated into League B for 2020

--------------

UEFA Euro2020 Qualifiers: 5 Groups of 5 and 5 Groups of 6 (55 teams) (Groups A-J)

Top 2 in each Group automatically qualify for Euro2020 i.e. 20 teams automatically qualify.

--------------

Remaining 4 position in Euro2020 will come from League of Nations.

How?

In each of the Leagues A-D, the top 4 ranked teams that did not qualify for EURO2020 will enter a play-off in Mar-2020 with one finals place on offer per League i.e. a semi-final and final per League. E.g. if Greece tops it's group in League C and doesn't automatically qualify for Euro2020 then it will be guaranteed a semi-final play-off match in Mar-2020 with other top ranked teams in League C that also did not qualify.

This means that 1 team from League D will make it to the Euro2020 finals. 

What about if all the nations in League A automatically qualify for Euro2020?

Then, the top 4 ranked teams in League B that did not automatically qualify for Euro2020 takes the place of League A and then the next 4 ranked teams in League B enter a play-off for Euro2020.

--------------

What does this mean for Greece's chances?

We need to top our Group in League of Nations! Not only does it give us a 2nd chance to make Euro2020 in the event we don't automatically qualify, but it also means we get promoted into League B in 2020.

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 2

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic