Phantis Forums

Greece - Croatia ( Round 2, 2nd Leg - 12 Nov. 2017, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

2 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Hahahaha 2016 was easy too but what happened that year? Sorry Boxou no argument?

Get use to it bro we won't qualify for a long time unless big changes are made 

do you even know how the qualification system works nowdays for the euros? because from my experience most of diaspora greeks have little knowledge about the inside issues of greek football or follow the players at all. 

2016 won't happen again not in a million years. we already left that behind us and it became obvious in this campaign. we only need a bit more creativity and pace but today with donis out it was far more obvious. i expect us to look better with him and karelis in. 

sokratis says he's done if we don't make it to the next euros..i hope it's just a way to make the other players feel responsible as well and he doesn't mean that because if he does then im sorry, giving up at 32 is not a sign of a NT captain. i really hope he told that εν βρασμω ψυχης because i can't understand such a desicion. he will fall to my eyes if he actually means that and it's not some ηλεκτροσοκ to the rest of the team. 

Edited by Boxou

I'm not attacking you Boxou just saying that we won't qualify for a long time. 

2016 had 24 teams.  It's going to be the same for 2020 only 24 teams. 20 teams qualify directly from the qualifying groups. Greece will be screwed because we keep slipping in the rankings end up in a really hard group. So you can probably cancel that out. This nations league will give 4 spots. We will have access to one spot being in group C. But really after today what are our chances realistically?

there has to be change. It's not easy but money needs to be invested in the youth. Infrastructure, development, clubs need to step up with that too. 

Look at Portugal, the USA, even Germany. Good examples of doing something right. 

We are done. It's going to get worse. If no changes happen we will ended up always in pot 4 or 5. No hope 

56 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

Another tournament no Greece. Summer will be painful lol

Get use to it boys and girls. Because 2003-2014 was a golden age. Especially Portugal 04 and to a lesser extent but still amazing Brazil14. We won't qualify again for a long time. It's going to be like the 80's and 90's.  Maybe worse lol

we keep going down in the rankings, our FA is corrupt, our clubs are broke with no proper youth facilities. 

When we won in 2004 I thought this was it.  We had reached the big time. Things were going to change. Investment, infrastructure. But nothing. F*** em

this sucks we have to wait until 2020 now? Dam it! We need leaders,men to lead and play like warriors like Karagounis and Katsouranis were for the Ethniki. Sokratis, Manolas and Zeca today only showed that fight. If we don't have these players we will be watching another tournament again from home! 

• Like it 1

You wanna see change goggle the youth systems of the clubs sporting, Benfica and Porto.  Goggle soccer city which is in Portugal for the youth. It's crazy what a country like Greece has done and is now reaping the benefits. Have qualified consistently since 96. Never missing out.

going to semis, finalist and winning it. Producing amazing youth teams

Listen to Skibbes press conference.. he is confident he will be back. Actually all the players want him back . The players said" with Skibbe we feel like a family again and we don't want to destroy that" Skibbe said at the end "We don't create enough and that has to change look at the Greek clubs ad most of the attackers are foreigners and we need to speak with the clubs and rebuild our youth system"

Edited by J1078

10 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Listen to Skibbes press conference.. he is confident he will be back. Actually all the players want him back . The players said" with Skibbe we feel like a family again and we don't want to destroy that" Skibbe said one good thing at the end he said "We don't create enough and that has to change look at the Greek clubs ad most of the attackers are foreigners and we need to speak with the clubs and rebuild our youth system"

F*** this coach, he's so beyond competence it's not even funny anymore. Now he's making up excuses for why pylons like Tsiolis were in every game. He has no clue what he's doing and today sealed it. Today was literally do or die and he still had 3 DM's on the field. Of course the players are gonna say that. They're professionals lol they're not gonna say "f this guy, bring in someone else". You could see the frustration of our talented players today, and that stems from who they're playing with and that's on the coach. If he played this line up on thurs, we definitely wouldn't have lost like that. Today's line up would have been considered defensive minded, the line up on Thurs was an utter ma!akia

Edited by gsots
  • Like it 1

1 minute ago, gsots said:

F*** this coach, he's so beyond competence it's not even funny anymore. Now he's making up excuses for why pylons like Tsiolis were in every game. He has no clue what he's doing and today sealed it. Today was literally do or die and he still had 3 DM's on the field. Of course the players are gonna say that. They're professionals lol they're not gonna say "f this guy, bring in someone else". You could see the frustration of our talented players today, and that stems from who they're playing with and that's on the coach. If he played this line up on thurs, we definitely wouldn't have lost like that. Today's line up would have been considered defensive minded, the line up on Thurs was an utter m*****a

I'm with you man I want him gone... He's saying we need to be more creative offensively and look who he fckn plays... 

• Like it 1

We'll be at Euro 2020.  I firmly believe that.  And hopefully the next world cup with the expansion for Europe.  

This really stings though.  Once we drew Croatia I was never that hopeful.

Sad to not get a goal today though.  Donis was needed we just couldn't break them down.  

Manolas is the class of the team though.  He was sorely missed in the first leg. 

Edited by HellasLEAF
  • Thanks 1

Just now, J1078 said:

I'm with you man I want him gone... He's saying we need to be more creative offensively and look who he fckn plays... 

How can Skibbe start Tziolis in a world cup playoff,  who offers Nothing? This is not a friendly match. He starts Bakasetas who has no touch on the ball. He also sits Fortounis the guy who can deliver free kicks and Corners as we saw on our only goal in the Tie when he swung it in to Sokratis for the header. 

EPO can you PLEASE find a coach who has a clue on how to set up a team and play the best inform players and find a coach who doesnt play his pals, this isn't a Rec team this is a NT with the opportunity to play for the World Cup. 

ENOUGH ALREADY 

• Like it 1

8 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Exactly! Contradicted himself. He's an idiot, he was just talking circles trying to sound intelligent like there's a plan. It was all talking points and nonsense 

13 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I completely agree.. he's a fcking idiot and to needs to go ASAP...

Is a coach change good for us let's be serious here! A new coach yes will bring a different mind set! But it starts from within! Epo have not adapted to the change in football we must invest in the juniors if we are going to play at major tournaments again! We are starting to see a shift in fifa and uefa with the idea of everyone having a turn At a major tournament hence the reason behind expansion the euro with 24 teams really messes FIFA ranking! Hence why we see Italy grouped with Spain! 

We need Greeks from outside of Greece to run epo! The Greeks inside Greece are a laughing stock corrupt and for there pockets! 

mpakasetas was good today, surely not worse than mantalos when he plays.

anyways since the players want him around he's not moving at all.

i am also reading we're moving from karaiskakis to oaka and kautatzogleio. worse decision they could ever get, oaka will be always empty. 

Firstly for the Skibbe incident : The NT has not qualified for 2 tournaments in a row. The EPO has no money currently. Whoever we bring is not gonna be anything better than Skibbe and obviously with such low paygrade he will also be forced to be part of the "corruption" and the weird callups. Better Skibbe that the players themselves want.

Good performance overall.

we need completely new players on the 6 , the 8 , both flank wings/midfielders and decent Right back Back up coz Toro is comming to age. 

I want Skibbe to stay because he is good for the atmosphere and his schemes worked in most of the games.

Call ups are an issue but I think EPO would not mention the existence of weird call ups if some weird call ups were forced by them.

I just hope Tziolis Maniatis leave the NT.

Tzavellas can stay he has had nice games.

In the midfielders the only ones from this campaign I'd keep would be Samaris Zeka.

Introduction of Kourbelis , Galanopoulos , Siopis , Androutsos needs to be imminent.

I'd also like to consider offensive players like Diamantakos , Vellios , Lazaros (due to age) done.

Introduction of Donis(already done) Lamprou, Limnios, Gianniotas(already done), Manthatis needs to be imminent.

Bakakis becuase we honestly have noone else. We are gonna struggle real time when Torosidis finally retires. Noone will be half as good as him.

Half of these players do not deserve the call up yet. But half of the ones already mentioned are no prospects anymore and don't look like developing and fitting the team either.

I disagree with Sokratis saying we need to qualify for 2020. I'd rather take a National Team with youths trying to find themselves and develop match after match to a solid NT than try with the same players who are honestly not producing.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

Skibbe is not the problem,

The real problem is our talent pool / depth and our best players from those positions being out in the first leg against Croatia.

If the first leg ended 1-1 then we go through today and i believe 1-1 was an achievable score in Croatia will a fully healthy and no suspensions. Actually with Donis in the mix and all our regulars starting i think we win in Croatia

• Like it 1

6 minutes ago, paokara777 said:

Skibbe is not the problem,

The real problem is our talent pool / depth and our best players from those positions being out in the first leg against Croatia.

If the first leg ended 1-1 then we go through today and i believe 1-1 was an achievable score in Croatia will a fully healthy and no suspensions. Actually with Donis in the mix and all our regulars starting i think we win in Croatia

Tetia ora tetia logia.

4 hours ago, bbaw said:

RETSOS LOOKS VERY SHAKY....VERY NERVOUS ON THE BALL

He's young and inexperienced, but is a great talent for the NT in the years to come. For me he was over cautious, which is understandable given what happened in the previous game. He needs to develop an attacking side to his game, which should come with more experience in the Bundesliga and with the NT in the next Euro campaign. For me his and Donis inclusions were one of the big pluses for the NT during this campaign.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic