Phantis Forums

Greece - Croatia ( Round 2, 2nd Leg - 12 Nov. 2017, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

7 hours ago, bbaw said:

the irony the things you say about ICELAND was US for long time...we still played negative but we managed to squeeze by just enough.

but now - our midfiled is the worst I have ever seen it......its absolutely horrible. evebn against cyprus we barely squeezed by. 

our margin of error is practically zero...we saw that thursday. we dont have the forepower to make up 1 goal , let alone 3.

remember, a desperation shot in 89 minute tied bosnia...

I agree Iceland players have a high work rate similar to our team 2014 edition, we are similar in that way. 

8 hours ago, Boxou said:

there's no need for him to be around in full squad. mantalos and mpakasetas on one side, donis and lazaros in the other one. fortounis and pelkas as attacking midfielders and karelis with mitroglou as strikers. simple as that. 

Every single one of the players you mention with the exception of Donis can't be relied upon.  They are all hit and miss.  The probability that they are all "hit" at the same time is ... I can't remember how to do probability ... been a while.  Too many passengers in the NT is and has been a big part of the problem.

8 minutes ago, ausgreek said:

Skibbe cannot make quality clutch decisions during matches to suit the circumstance. He must go.

Clutch decisions?? He can't even make competent decisions to suit the circumstances, it's just mind boggling how this coach operates. 

Three DM's during the moments where we need full on attacking players. Skibbe has reached an amazing level of stupidity which is unexplainable. I am mesmerised at the level of incompetence this man has shown. He often fails to make the right decisions when a match is in the balance. 

Fetfa and Holebas still strike me as x factor types as is Donis and our CB's.

Faroe Islands are really Iceland.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Like it 1

10 hours ago, Dean97 said:

Gianniotas is way better than Mantalos and Bakasetas on the wing come on. Bakasetas played a better game that's because he's played centrally. Donis no doubt has a spot on this team. He is/should be the starting Left Winger. Pelkas and Fortounis should interchange as Fortounis has not done enough to cement his spot.

we are not going to the world cup with b league players, mind you. 

many things go into being a coach, many of which we dont see.(training, EPO, etc etc) So we judge without complete information, but....

what we DO see ---- call ups and MOST important, imho, is what he does when the game starts and he has had a chance to see how the team is performing, the matchups, the circumstances, etc.   These facts are right there for ALL to see and our judgments now are made with the same information the coach has, for the most part.

based on this I do not understand skibeee rationale, especially the substitutions and field tactics. After we all bitch and moan a little, we are a fair minded bunch for the most part, right? 

but i dont think all of us who dont approve of his in-game tactics are being unreasonable or blindly against the guy. 

i thnk we got as far as we did IN SPITE of him. 

we all know what we would like to see so i think we have to choicce but ti give him a chance to redeem himself, but i just cant imagine a shift in his thinking or approach....

we'll see....

A BIG BIG MISTAKE TO BRING BACK THIS COACH... He is so incompetent with his call ups and his subs, he also gets very easily out coached... We would still have Holebas if it was for this guy... Really not making Holebas a regular starter...WTF.... I do understand the players want him but its a mistake and I don't think we qualify for the euros with this coach not with his style and call ups... Say what you want about his so called success this year the fact of the matter is he should his competence in the biggest two games and it was a complete epic fail and for that reason he needs to go.

• Like it 1

j, i have seen enough as well....but we are stuck...and what concerns me even more is that the players are gonna quit on him...remember he threw them all under the bus after the first game claiming " i did nothing wrong"........

meanwhile the players are on the side YELLING at maniatis and tzavellas to get in position.....

i mean seriously.

• Like it 2

the players want him around. not a surprise considering with A FCVKING SANE coach they would never get called up(talking about vellios, diamantakos, gianniotas, tziolis, tzavellas, kolovetsion, maniatis) but instead you'd see more of siovas, cholebas, vlachodimos, mpakakis, koutris, karelis, kourmpelis etc with is something that the scrubs don't want to see. change the coach and you'll notice a big difference in our quality. i mean really how come and this group of players is ignored for a bunch of headless chicken? and then we wonder why we didn't make it to the world cup.......

• Like it 2

It's too late now for Holebas. We needed him this campaign. He's gonna be 34 when the NL and ECQ start in 2018/2019 and will turn 36 in June 2020 when Euro will take place. That ship has sailed. Important thing now is to make sure to call-up/play the right players and not have any more issues like Holebas in the future. 

Edited by Argy

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

A BIG BIG MISTAKE TO BRING BACK THIS COACH... He is so incompetent with his call ups and his subs, he also gets very easily out coached... We would still have Holebas if it was for this guy... Really not making Holebas a regular starter...WTF.... I do understand the players want him but its a mistake and I don't think we qualify for the euros with this coach not with his style and call ups... Say what you want about his so called success this year the fact of the matter is he should his competence in the biggest two games and it was a complete epic fail and for that reason he needs to go.

I agree with you J1078, in the two biggest games he will ever coach for the NT he got the lineup and his tactics wrong. The first game in Croatia he should have set us up as he did in Belgium very tight at the back. Belgium were in clear frustration the whole match until they finally scored late.That game he made better subs calling on Zeca in his debut and he came in and ran with the Belgians.  The 2nd leg in Athens we need to score 3 goals and the lineup that he went with was as if we were up 3 goals and we showed no urgency to attack a Croatian side that was sitting back and inviting us to attack. Playing Tziolis and Samaris who can't make simple passes and screw up our attack when they have the ball in the last third is mind boggling.

As for Skibbe if he doesn't stay on it opens the door for Holebas to possibly return to the fold, which is a huge upgrade.

• Like it 1

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Do you guys think if there was a different coach Holebas would come back?

Absolutely! But it would also depend on the new coach calling him back, but I think he definitely will.

As for his age, I've read a lot about him and his off season training and regimen. He takes his body and his fitness very seriously, more serious than these other makakas who hit 34. I think holebas will still have a lot to offer as long as he's healthy. 

If they bring Skibbe back, then we might as well start handing out red noses and big shoes at each game, cause garden brothers is gonna have nothing on the clownary we're gonna be set to see. This guy isn't going to magically wake up and start making the right decision. 

2 hours ago, gsots said:

Absolutely! But it would also depend on the new coach calling him back, but I think he definitely will.

As for his age, I've read a lot about him and his off season training and regimen. He takes his body and his fitness very seriously, more serious than these other makakas who hit 34. I think holebas will still have a lot to offer as long as he's healthy. 

As long as he continues to play 30+ epl games a season for Watford he's a definite starting 11 player for our national team, he has a big engine and can run all game,  age won't slow him down as much as it does others, unfortunately as mentioned we needed him now.

• Like it 2

If Scibbe stays or goes is an EPO decision.

If EPO sign him for another 2 years, is because they are satisfied that a) the players like him and b) we didn't lose to Gibraltar, Cyprus or Estonia and c) we made it into a knock out playoff for the WC. In other words, they see progress with Scibbe.

I don't think EPO would take notice of these boards or what that Alefantos fella saying on YouTube. 

This is the first time I've been able to bring myself back to the forum after we went out! 

I opened my laptop yesterday and it was still on the stream from the match in the 85th minute (when I stopped watching) and it started to play it, I was like nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In retrospect I think Skibbe should have played with two strikers and dropped a few of the 'invisible players' (Tziolis, Bakesetas, Tachtsidis) he chose. This is the line-up I would have gone with:

__________________________Karnesis

____Torosidis_____Sokratis_________Manolas______Retsos 

Lazoros___________Zeca____________Fortunis______Stafylidis

__________________Mitroglou________Pelkas

I really think the penalty decision going against us was the turning point in the game, if we'd have got the penalty then the players would have had a lot more belief, and it would have rattled Croatia. Its just a shame dodgy and corrupt officiating again screwed us over. I also think our crossing really let us down on the night, a game Stafylidis would have really excelled in, I can't understand how Skibbe couldn't see this and at least bring him on for the second half?

• Like it 4

2 hours ago, jason said:

Iceland qualified.... Let that sink in for a bit...

Don't have anything against Iceland but they are not a traditional footballing nation. They were sub par for years but I give them credit for getting there. Countries like Panama, morroco, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia are in? How painful it will be watching one of them play. Hopefully we get our s%$#! together an start qualifying for tournaments as we use to do on a regular basis. Ever since our excellent performance at 2014 World Cup and losing on pks to Costa Rica its all gone sideways for us. Plus throw in the departure of Santos and Karagounis and Katsouranis and now we can't make 2 successive tournaments. So tough to swallow.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic