Phantis Forums

Greece - Croatia ( Round 2, 2nd Leg - 12 Nov. 2017, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

Firing Skibbe is not the answer. I think he actually did a terrific job steadying what had been a sinking ship. He seems to have a good feel for the way we need to play. It’s about developing pieces around our core group, particularly at midfield and on the wings. I have confidence that will happen under Skibbe moving forward.

I believe we can all agree the better team advanced to the World Cup. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rubbing it to your nose, it's just how it is at the moment - Croatia's a better them. However, had you played this way in Zagreb (more aggressive, no silly mistakes), it would have been a tight one.

Your team definitely has future. I liked both Gianniotas and Pelkas and I'm definitely happy they were not in the game sooner. :) I'm seeing a lot of pessimistic predictions regarding the future of Greek football. It's normal to be in that kind of mood after an unsuccessful campaign, but I'm quite sure after a couple of days you will realize this team has potential. Someone said he is sure Greece will qualify for EURO 2020. I agree. I will definitely have my eye on the development of your team.

I didn't like seeing a couple of Serbian flags at Karaiskakis today - I respect historical relations of your two nations, but these were there for other reason today. ;) I'm sorry we booed each other's national anthems. Don't take booing in Zagreb personally, we do it to almost everyone :P Anyhow, Croats have huge respect for Greek people and Greek history culture, we find your mentality similar to ours, and it's a shame both of us couldn't qualify. I personally will certainly miss Greece in the World Cup. I hope our next duel is on EURO 2020 quarter-final/semi-final/final.  Talk to you soon. Pame Ellada, pame Kroatia! :)

• Like it 2

Just now, paokara777 said:

If i was in the stands and someone started booing during  the Croatian anthem near me i would have clean slapped him across his face. Fvkcing disgrace

I also get irritated when people do it, that's not supporting your team, but unfortunately in Croatia it is quite common when it comes to football games. Since the first game was in Zagreb, I expected it might happen in Athens as well. No hard feelings.

I just watched the game back for the purpose of listening to the booing.

You are right there was some. I started watching the game today towards the end of the Cro. anthem and didnt hear the booing as it had quietened significantly.

I noticed during your minute of silence for a player that had died was interrupted by your fans as well. (they started to whistle etc then quietened after a second just before the silence ended)

I also found this strange and disrespectful 

In Dalmatia (southern Croatia) we usually applaud while paying a respect to someone who passed away. It is how's it's done in the south of Italy as well. Perhaps the two versions of paying respect got mixed and it turned out to be quite strange and ugly.

The other possibility is there were some douchebags who were just very disrespectful.

Yeah may have been tit for tat. They quietened as the anthem went on. I have it in my mind that some of the elders in the crowd went around whacking the kids booing with pandofles to make them shut up

ANYWAYS - My favorite thio married a Croatian and i have massive respect for that family and for all Croatians and literally any other person. Do unto others what you would have them do to you

ΚΑΤΑ ΜΑΤΘΑΙΟΝ 7:12 Όλα όσα θέλετε να σας κάνουν οι άλλοι άνθρωποι, αυτά να τους κάνετε κι εσείς· σ’ αυτό συνοψίζονται ο νόμος και οι προφήτες

• Like it 1

Our team does have potential.

players like pelkas, christodopoulous, retsos, bakasetas, vlahomodios, k paps, stalfyndidids, fortounis, ganniotas, siopis, mantalos, donis and karelis all have bright futures ahead of them and most are NT material. I would hope we can create a stronger line-up for the next euros, but i do have my doubts. We will likely see

Karnezis?/Vlahomodios

stalf? - Sokratis - Manolas - Retsos

Zeca - Siopis

Donis- Fourtounis - Mantalos

Mitroglou

I feel like if we can develop such a strong lineup, the team does have a strong future. 

Do i think sacking Skibbe is the answer, no. Out NT does have some issues, the lack of funding and the corruption which occurs isnt healthy for the sport, but the turnaround of the team from 2014 to 2017 has shown us that there is a future in greek football. Croatia was always going to be a hard opponent, 2nd to italy. Denmark and switzerland would have given us a different story altogether but luck does also play into it.

I just hope we dont go backwards from here, the boys need inspiration and need some reward for their effort. When they press they can create chances and they do love playing for their country.

Bring on 2020

This campaign was a much better showing than our Euro 2016 qualifying campaign. That was rock bottom, and we came damn close to qualifying this time. We had a disaster in Zagreb, and deservingly so, we're not going to Russia. It's easier to qualify for the Euros with the expanded field, I would hope we can at least get into that. Like many of you, I believed after our surprise European championship in 2004 that major tournaments would become an expectation and for a while they were. We have to get back to that now. Even the Germans and the French and the Italians, all the big boys are constantly introducing youth. Over the hill veterans like Tziolis and Maniatis need to be pushed out. If Skibbe is going to stay on as manager, he needs to get to know the players, especially the young ones. As many of you said, we better have a lot of friendlies between now and the start of Euro qualifying. We took the first steps out of hell this campaign. Now time to keep going.

• Like it 1

After the 2016 disaster i thought we headed to the bowels but the team has rebounded and did quite well this campaign.  But some things never change, scoring is a problem and we lack that midfielder that can control the game.

As for the game today it was a decent effort, clearly Manolas and Torosidis were missed last game.  Giannotas showed something for the time he was on.

Even without the 2 gifted goals i think it was not possible to beat this Croatian team with this squad.  The Croats were clearly the better team.

3 hours ago, georgelaz said:

manolas and torosidis are a class above our other options, that's for sure.

Manolas is world class as we saw today, him missing the first game by the corrupt FIFA cost us a few goals no way Croatia would get 4. I love Toro but today he could not deliver a cross, no one could really. Mitroglou was shaky his touch was heavy and a few times he had an open player making a run and he could not layoff a simple pass. Very surprising to see him struggle like that.

2 minutes ago, Megas said:

its really hitting home now that the ethniki will not be at the world cup. I will wait aslong as it takes to see us at the world cup or a euro again. the only problem is we need to produce some players.

It’s going to be really hard when it’s on next summer. Even the drawing of the groups on December 1 will be tough to watch.

the world cup will come and go quickly. especially with the new year near. its up to us to work hard to make sure we have a good qualifying campaing for euro 2020. they always say that sometimes its best to miss out on a tournament for rebuild purposes. however the euro 2016 campaign really killed us. now we will be 6 years without a major tournament as opposed to 4. its not uncommon its just crap when you see a country finally get it right in 04 and didn't really build on it.

unfortunately for us the ranieri era really hurt us. we should of looked at a coach similar to rehagle and santos

This nations league gives me hope.

Edited by Megas
  • Like it 2

44 minutes ago, GreekLunatic said:

Did tziolis announce his retirement after the game

Why would he? He's EPO protected. That said, he'd be 35 by Euro 2020, not that knowing this would stop EPO. 

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic