Phantis Forums

Greece - Croatia ( Round 2, 2nd Leg - 12 Nov. 2017, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

This match will be played on the 12th per FIFA. Karaiskaki is not confirmed. I would assume it will be there, but maybe they'll choose to play at OAKA to have a bigger crowd.

• Lazarus changed the title to Greece - Croatia ( Round 2, 2nd Leg - 12 Nov. 2017, Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus)
  • 3 weeks later...

MATCHUP:           Greece-Croatia

COMPETITION:    2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Playoffs

DATE:                   12-November-2017

TIME:                   21:45 GR time

CITY/STADIUM:    Stadio Giorgos Karaiskaki, Piraeus

REFEREE:  Bjorn Kuipers(NED)

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Sander van Roekel, Erwin Zeinstra(NED)

FOURTH OFFICIAL: Danny Makkelie(NED)

If we can score and only goal it will build belief and we can start throwing everything at them. They're defense sucks. Donis, Holebas, Laz, Karelis being abscent really hurt us.

Only Mitro and Fortounis were our true attacking players and their defense was so shaky. Should've capitalized on that.

We have no hope at all. I would start the rebuilding process in this game, but we all know this will not happen. Instead I hope this will be a farewell game for some of the players (Tziolis, Maniatis, etc.), and the coach. 

Maniatis, Tziolis, etc don't need a farewell game, they got their farewell game yesterday along with Greece saying farewell to the World Cup. They did enough; now it is time to play our best/most in-form players and get a result from this match.

Edited by Argy

Greece will come out in the attack. Croatia will score first, Greece will pull one back. Greece will score a 2nd but Croatia will score another. I see a 2-2. 

Its to late. Losing 4-1 in our first game gives us no realistic chance. Anyone who thinks Greece will win 3-0 must be smoking the good stuff. It's going to end up a tie or Croatia will win. 

However unlikely it is, we have 90 mins to try turn it around. Very hard to see us scoring 3, and keeping a clean sheet, especially the way we defended yesterday but we now have nothing to lose. Throw everything at them, need to start players who will pass and move. Wingers who will run at their shaky defence and cause them problems. 

-------Karnezi----
Toro(if fit)/retso---Sokrati---Manolas---Stafylidis 
---------------------------Zeca----------Taxi--------
--------------------------------Fortouni--------
Lazaro-----------Mitro-------Pelka/gianniontas

Lazaros we know will pick up the ball and drive at the Croatian defence. As for the other wing, I don't have huge confidence that either can produce at this level but we need goals, so attacking players need to start in attacking positions. 

Lazaros was fairly useless against Gibraltar defence, Gianniotas is a bench warmer for a LaLiga2 club, Tachtsidis is average at this level (international games), Pelkas is inexperienced. There is only Fortounis.

As I said before, our main problem is that we should build a solid midfield out of basically crap players. Mediocrities everywhere as one can see. This applies to the wingers too. Mantalos is another Ninis, and unfortunately Gianniotas is only a Fetfa 2.0. We know where the originals play now. Bakasetas a very average player. Only Zeca and Fortounis are some good.

If we would sign a Greek coach, everything will be over. Daniil era will return. I dont know whether EPO will have even so much sense (one doesnt need very much) to sign a foreign coach who understands our brand of football. (I aint even sure that this brand still exists and it havent expired with the departure of Karagounis/Santos/Katsouranis.)

you are right regarding our midfield and wingers. But given what has been called up, i think that is the team that gives us the best chance at scoring. Again it is near impossible for to win 3-0 but you have a free go at it for 90 mins, lets give it a whirl and see what happens 

Paokara I agree with you given the players he has at his disposal and considering form I would go with that exact same

lineup. I would go Pelkas, this kid runs his ass off all game as well just like Zeca and personally I would start Anestis at

keeper. He kept two clean sheets vs AC Milan and was man of the match in Italy. He is far more in form than Karnezis.

I believe for some reason Greece can get this done. I think the players are downplaying any comeback but they will come out

and give it their best on Sunday.

• Like it 1

I think we can win the game but have no hope of overturning the deficit, the fact we need to go for it will mean Croatia will probably get 1 goal at least, good chance we win this 2-1 as they sit back and Try ride it out, a goal for us in the first 15 minutes may make it interesting though.

Guys I have a feeling something is going to happen. With Torosidis and Manolas back in defence, we might have a chance making it to Russia. I don't want to say much more but if we bring all three of Sokratis, Manolas and Papadopoulos on the pitch and pick one of them to mark Mandzukic and Zeca to mark Modric we should bang in those goals. Tachtsidis, Pelkas and Lazaros must start with Torosidis and Stafylidis as the attacking wing backs. Mitroglou and Fortounis should be the strikers. With this I believe we can get the 3-0 at home.

• Like it 2

So what im supposed to believe is this.  We beat Gibraltar (basically guys who after the game have to start the night shift at their real jobs) 4-1 and 4-0 and yet somehow we will pop 3 against Croatia who have a few guys who play on top european football clubs.  Makes sense to me!

We have absolutely nothing to lose, better the boys lose 3-0 than win 1-0, give the game their all, try and put on some midfield pressure and expose the Croatian defense.

they should play better at home, if they can get a goal within the first 30mins, it will get very interesting

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic