Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

The writing was in the stars. We failed to qualify for the easiest Euros in 2016. That should have been a warning. We finished 2nd which looks like they did awesome. But Couldn't beat Bosnia couldn't beat Estonia in their 2nd game. We keep dropping down the rankings.  We are in Group C of League of Nations.  I'm surprised any of you actually thought we would even scare Croatia  lol

It's all down hill from here. We won't ever qualify for another tournament unless big changes are done in Greek soccer. 

Next summer is going to be hard watching the WC with no Greece. But we better get use to it. This is why we are a laughing stock in soccer. 

Cant believe that only 13 yrs ago we were kings of Europe. Seems like it didn't really happen lol

The future looks bright with Donis Stafylidis(if he decides to step up his career and go to a team that respects him and doesn't ditch him because he wanted a big club signing) Retsos Pelkas Fortounis Manolas and Sokratis and of course Mitroglou will all be here in the next Euro and World Cup maybe.

Our lack of decent holding midfielders since the Karagounis and Katsouranis duo is ridiculously visible 3 years after their exit from the NT.

And yet 2 years before that you were all crying for Santos to Start promising Tachtsidis, talented Fetfatzidis. 

Where are they now?
This defeat is not because of the coach. Cry all u want about Skibbe but Mourinho comming wouldn't prevent these brutal mistakes.

For this defeat only the players can be held accountable. Sure. We could have had someone else over Tziolis in the midfield and obviously Bakakis over Maniatis but how much different would the team look. I tell u not a bit.

We went there having shat our pants. We treated this match as the "match of our life" and that's what you get a 50/50 , either kill or be killed.

Croatia is not even close to as good as the score indicates.

To be fair, and call me m@!@k@ I find it more possible for us to win them 3-0 in Athens than conceding 4 to them.

I will be happy if we snap a win and then hope for a good group for the upcomming Euros, so that we can scrap some points and improve our ranking.

• Like it 2

Well I missed the game but just saw the highlights posted above.

Two absolutely horrible mistakes on the 1st and last goals.

The 2nd goal was something that the keeper should have stopped. There was another chance for Croatia where they should have scored.

Greece did have a few chances and needed that 2nd goal.

Not impossible but highly unlikely to get a 3-0 win in Athens.

At least there is no reason not to go for a more offensive minded lineup.  

4-1 or 7-1 doesn't matter at this point.

If Skibbe puts in a defensive side then it is time for him to go.

1 minute ago, jarvis1981 said:

Well I missed the game but just saw the highlights posted above.

Two absolutely horrible mistakes on the 1st and last goals.

The 2nd goal was something that the keeper should have stopped. There was another chance for Croatia where they should have scored.

Greece did have a few chances and needed that 2nd goal.

Not impossible but highly unlikely to get a 3-0 win in Athens.

At least there is no reason not to go for a more offensive minded lineup.  

4-1 or 7-1 doesn't matter at this point.

If Skibbe puts in a defensive side then it is time for him to go.

Skibbe will be gone no matter what EPO has stated this. If we fail to qualify he is out.

Some will think his firing is reasonable, others will say it was unfair. 

I am one of them defending him but the truth is somewhere in the middle. He could have made some better selections. He could have made some better line-ups in a couple of matches (this included). But hell he couldn't have glued this team together better than anyone. Whoever comes the Skibbe chapter will be held in our players' memories for the near future because he was one of the men responsible for this turnover. Sadly this turnover will not be completed. We lost the way to Russia in Zagreb.

9 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

The future looks bright with Donis Stafylidis(if he decides to step up his career and go to a team that respects him and doesn't ditch him because he wanted a big club signing) Retsos Pelkas Fortounis Manolas and Sokratis and of course Mitroglou will all be here in the next Euro and World Cup maybe.

Our lack of decent holding midfielders since the Karagounis and Katsouranis duo is ridiculously visible 3 years after their exit from the NT.

And yet 2 years before that you were all crying for Santos to Start promising Tachtsidis, talented Fetfatzidis. 

Where are they now?
This defeat is not because of the coach. Cry all u want about Skibbe but Mourinho comming wouldn't prevent these brutal mistakes.

For this defeat only the players can be held accountable. Sure. We could have had someone else over Tziolis in the midfield and obviously Bakakis over Maniatis but how much different would the team look. I tell u not a bit.

We went there having shat our pants. We treated this match as the "match of our life" and that's what you get a 50/50 , either kill or be killed.

Croatia is not even close to as good as the score indicates.

To be fair, and call me m@!@k@ I find it more possible for us to win them 3-0 in Athens than conceding 4 to them.

I will be happy if we snap a win and then hope for a good group for the upcomming Euros, so that we can scrap some points and improve our ranking.

"promising Tachtsidis, talented Fetfatzidis" good! :)

I will bet that Skibee will field this squad in Piraeus. 
                              Anestis 
Manolas  Papastathopoulos Retsos Stafylidis
Lazaros   Zeca    Tachtsidis   Fourtounis 
              Mitroglou      Gianniotis 

• Like it 1

10 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

I will bet that Skibee will field this squad in Piraeus. 
                              Anestis 
Manolas  Papastathopoulos Retsos Stafylidis
Lazaros   Zeca    Tachtsidis   Fourtounis 
              Mitroglou      Gianniotis 

Why not. It's time to play our best 3 cbs. Gianniotas is a must start.

Skibbe has to go. Tziolis and tzavellas are not even close to the quality needed and both r fu kin lazy. We just don’t have any midfield players who want the ball and can distribute. NONE! Fortounis’s spot behind mitroglou has to be taken away . He doesn’t run and doesn’t have the skill to be able to play lazy.

Greece is at a huge crossroads...team has very few REAL players coming up. Donis,retsos look great. But we lack wide defenders and central midfielders badly. We miss a karagounis type player to go get the ball and distribute. These lazy F***s show zero passion for their country’s minus a couple players. Things don’t look good

• Like it 1

No other team will get blown out like this in any game of the playoffs ffs. I'm speechless... The fact that we were down 4-1 and Our retarded coach didn't  bring on Laz or Giannatos or Pelkas to try and create a goal is mind blowing... wtf is he thinking?? 

• Like it 1

Just now, Dean97 said:

Why not. It's time to play our best 3 cbs. Gianniotas is a must start.

no and i don't think i have to argue that.

if we don't start developing players it will be impossible to make it to a tournament comfortably again. croatia has so many world class players in their squad, and us, we think we can go to the wc with 2nd league b options like bouchalakis, gianniotas, vellios, diamantakos or ex footballers like tziolis maniatis and tzavellas. 

20 minutes ago, La Mendel said:

"promising Tachtsidis, talented Fetfatzidis" good! :)

That is my point bro. People were dying for Santos to sub Katsouranis and Karagounis off. And we really havent created one midfielder half as decent as them.

Samaris trully came close but he is not the type of 6 Katsouranis was. He can't create from the back.

• Like it 2

1 minute ago, J1078 said:

No other team will get blown out like this in any game of the playoffs ffs. I'm speechless... The fact that we were down 4-1 and Our retarded coach didn't  bring on Laz or Giannatos or Pelkas to try and create a goal is mind blowing... wtf is he thinking?? 

Mate the game was over with that karnezis blunder! To be down 1-0 after the first 15 minutes doesn't work for us! I actually don't know why we didn't play a diamond 5-4-1

• Like it 2

If your gonna park the proverbial bus please have players who will RUN and tackle THAT had to be the slowest 11da we have put out. Our keeper wa terrible but those back to back stops give us a punchers chance Sunday. The back line was a shambles Sokratis was the only CB who performed KPaps and Tzavellas were bad. Both outside backs were terrible hard to pick who was worst between Stafylidis and Maniatis. Both CDM were horrrible Samaris and Tziolis should not have been starters the pair of Zeca Taxi was easy guys who win tackles and can spray the passes. I had no problem with Zeca Fortounis and Mitro we created 5 decent chance scored on one Mitro should have scored on 1/2 headers and Socratis will look back on the 2nd header.

To defend takes EFFORT you dont need talent just the will to play the managers tactics and F***en excute and run tackle win headers block shots I saw ZERO of that been watching the Ethniki since the late 80s and this was as lackluster a performance as any!!

Skibbe coaches not to lose we saw that vs Estonia we saw it today. Yes we were missing 4 starters in Toro Manolas Donis Mandalos but to start that horseshit group is embarassing. To have players out of position gifting goals showing no spirit...Im sorry I believe a team reflects its manager there was NO Otto fight or Santos grit never say die..this team capitulated and had no balls. Retsos is a CB why not play HIM with Kpaps and Sokratis and play Lykogiannis RB who is used to going touchline to touchline as a LB ( dont use he is left footed Toro patrolled the LB position) he is miles better than Maniatis. Im sorry Giannotas Pelkas help on the outside and you can play Zeca in the midle of the park where he is more comfortable . Tachsi is slow  but not slower thn Tziolis and he plays te ball way better than any #6 we have. Why isnt Bouchalakis on this squad! Why is Gianniotis from Atromitos not here having agreat year.

TO the EPO now DROPEE that Tzavellas and Maniatis still get called after the fiasco in Brasil with the PAOK OLY bullshit!! Those 2 should have been gone right there instead they are inour lineup in a HUGE game. We never bleed the young ones instead when will we learn. Karnezis Stafylidis not playing 1st team football and it shows Samaris barely playing and it shows Kapino not playing CALLED up WHY..where is the backbone the fish smells from the head...if you dont play WHY are you being CALLED up.

Worst part is I still have hope that an early goal in Athens..and ya never know..going to watch this disaster again this time with Englis announcers.

• Like it 2

3 minutes ago, Boxou said:

if we don't start developing players it will be impossible to make it to a tournament comfortably again. croatia has so many world class players in their squad, and us, we think we can go to the wc with 2nd league b options like bouchalakis, gianniotas, vellios, diamantakos or ex footballers like tziolis maniatis and tzavellas. 

This team is not for developing players. We need the best of the best. Whether that means putting Retsos for Torosidis, just for an example. We know Tziolis, Maniatis and Tzavellas are not the best. Our depth is horrible. But there better options such as Lazaros and Pelkas. Donis was hugely missed. 

This team is not for developing players. We need the best of the best. Whether that means putting Retsos for Torosidis, just for an example. We know Tziolis, Maniatis and Tzavellas are not the best. Our depth is horrible. But there better options such as Lazaros and Pelkas. Donis was hugely missed. 

i also believe deeply inside me that since we'll got out for the win we will have to dominate the play. if we score 2 in the first half it would be interesting. i'd play

karnezis

torosidis manolas sokratis tzavellas

zeca kourmpelis

lazaros fortounis stafylidis

mitroglou

7 minutes ago, Megas said:

Mate the game was over with that karnezis blunder! To be down 1-0 after the first 15 minutes doesn't work for us! I actually don't know why we didn't play a diamond 5-4-1

I agree with this I was thinking about that a few hours ago. 

Greece can win 3-0 if the players can take the biggest risk to attack. Thing is our attack is very limited. Only Mitroglou proves offense, maybe Gianniotas. We need a miracle guys! 

Edited by Molon Lave
  • Like it 1

29 minutes ago, Megas said:

we lost the psychological battle by conceding early. The Croats wanted open balla and they got it. We obviously were playing to shut the game down - which we are usually successful at doing.

they were hammering that flank that Maniatis was defending. They knew he was the weakest link. A Torosidis and Manolas I assure u none of that would have happened.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic