Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

22 minutes ago, Torontoblue said:

I love some of the faith you guys have. But reality is we keep going backwards. Not qualifying for the Euros last time was bad but it worse now. We now missed 2 major tournaments in a row.  Last Time that happened was before 2004.  We remember the dark ages of the national team. That's where it's headed. I don't think we will qualify again for a long long time. Mark my words.  There needs to be big changes in Greek soccer. 

And no I don't believe we will come back from 4-1. Mission in possible. We will come out attacking but that will leave us wide open for them to pop in a few. It's over. The fat lady has sung for Greece.

Yesterday my Italian, Portuguese and Spanish friends just kept laughing about the Greek team and saying now the world really knows we are only a fluke team winning the Euros but not changing anything. FML lol

We are just lucky that the tournaments have grown and include more teams! A euro with 24 is not a bad thing after all! A World Cup with 48 teams in the future will mean no playoffs for Europe 

• Like it 1

The dark days are upon us but it's how dark the epo want to make it! They need to invest more money into the nt including a better coach and coaching staff! If santos has a crap campaign at this World Cup I see him coming back to coach the nt! Which is ok for a quick fix however not good for the long run! We need to qualify for the euro and have a decent tournament! No excuses!

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Boxou said:

skibbe's desicion to put zeca on the wings, start maniatis and tziolis remains unexplainable however.

However notice that Zeka came to PAO as RM. skibbe wanted a defensive lineup and both Samaris and Taxtdidis cannot play on the wing. With Mantalis and Donis out he had limited choices.

He could have played

------Tsiolis Zeka

Lazaros ------------- Stafilidis

He went for defence (given that Zeka can play and played Mandalos position well) but Samaris and Stafilidis played horribly. This is the issue; Change Samaris with Siopis or Kourbelis and have Stafilidis play his usual aggressive game and we will do better.

Just finished watching the Swe/itly game I also watched the NI game, boys no team looked as pathetic as us and every team gave there selves a decent chance in there next game... As bad as we are and as bad as we've been to give up for goals against in the most important game in two years is hard to swallow and doesn't make sense... I know some of you don't want to hear this but majority of blame had to fall on Skibe and not doing enough homework to know Maniatis will get rapped in that position, Staf has played a total of 20 min in that position all year so to start him there didn't make sense, And Tziolis with his extreme slowness will not be able to fit in with a fast team.. All of these mistakes fall on Skibbe as the players were set up to fail the minute that line was announced.. You can say it's on the players all you want and of course some of it is but when you ask guys to play somewhere they're not comfortable or against a superior team you are shooting yourselves in the foot. This one goes to Skibbe for me..

• Like it 1

If Tziolis even plays in this game I say fire his ass! No way Zeca doesn't start was our best player yesterday and it should be Stafy over Tzavellas and Pelkas needs to start. The kid will run his ass off trust me.

Edited by Makynia
  • Like it 1

Mate I know they say never lose hope and it has been done before to come back from a 3 goal deficit but in all honestly our fa are a mess! How can players without a club and players who ride the bench week in and week out get a spot in this team! Corruption is this country's worst enemy its bitten us in every sector  

• Like it 1

I am still trying to come to terms with the selection Skibbe made for the Croatia game. I looked on Live Score before the game started and the line-up they had there was loads better than the one we trotted out. Lazaros was in it and Maniatis definitely wasn't our RB, we were also playing a 4-4-1-1 formation on it too. 

How the hell Live Score got the line-up so wrong is weird? Unless Skibbe made some crazy last minute changes. 

so obvious. Zeca on the wing is wasted. he should have man marked modric and taken him out the game. Zeca is wasted on the wings. He's not creative nor a goal scorer. He's an engine and can man mark like a dog on meat.

• Like it 1

12 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

so obvious. Zeca on the wing is wasted. he should have man marked modric and taken him out the game. Zeca is wasted on the wings. He's not creative nor a goal scorer. He's an engine and can man mark like a dog on meat.

That's why I continue to say Skibbe blow this game for us.. it's very obvious as his style and choices were Ridiculous... 

1 minute ago, tantra129 said:

let's take ALL the NT;s in this world.

on how many of ALL the NT's in god's world does Tziolara get an automatic start?

Ok, but why? EPO or Skibbe?

8 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

both

I'm just saying, even before Skibbe, people thought EPO was forcing managers to put him in through Tsanas, the EPO spy and sometimes manager.

1 minute ago, tantra129 said:

so ... to be honest ... i don't REALLY know, bur how present is tsanas nowadays anyhow

??????????

None of us knows who spies for EPO anymore. What we do know is, there are veteran players who always get to play even when their club careers fizzle out. Sometimes guys who don't even play for clubs and haven't played in months get to play. 

The Alephant is spot on, by George! Tziolaris must start at AM in order to give us the attacking edge.  :boom:      Samaris, Tziol, Maniatis and Orestis need a spell.

Edited by ausgreek

Reality is, our chances are 0.1% or less. Many would say 0%. Real pity. Our only hope is, if we can score 1-0 in 1st half and find a 2nd without conceding and with enough time to make them sweat. This guy Alefantos makes a lot of sense. Zeca has to man mark Modric. We need run in the midfield and on the flanks. It's doable. We will know in the first 15 minutes if the players give it a go.

After the match, Scibbe said "Όλοι μπορούν να κάνουν λάθη. Είμαστε ομάδα και όλοι μπορούν να κάνουν λάθη στο γήπεδο. Ακόμα και ο προπονητής μπορεί να κάνει λάθη. Σήμερα δεν νομίζω ότι εγώ έκανα πολλά λάθη". He needs to do better.  

Edited by kbxk508
  • Like it 1

skibe threw the players under the bus.....

every coach i ever played for at a significant level ALWAYS accpeted the ultimate responsibility when our teams lost. "Im the coach and its my job to make sure players have the best chance to succeed"   stuff like that.....and when we won they would say "its not me, its the players that deserve all the credit, they did it on the field/court etc. etc." 

i run through walls for coaches like that. but in true greek mentality fashion when a coach says " imade no mistakes" when we all know skibbe played guys out of position and in the 2nd half when it was obvious after 45 minutes the lineup he chose needed changes he laid an egg" well then I think to myself "a kai g*****! m#$%!" or something poetically similar

u CANT blame your players ----- u lose their respect and as we all know, in greece the graveyard for soccer coaches, that can be fatal...

• Like it 1

Karnezis: 31 minuets of EPL game time all season.

Stafylidis: Not a single league match all season.

Maniatis: Sporadic appearance for mid table Turkish club side.

Tziolis: Sporadic appearance for a Saudi side in relegation.

Greece’s biggest match in three years & they all start.

• Like it 2

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic