Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

1 minute ago, Bananas said:

I'd take Ouzounidis as NT coach a MILLION times over Skibbe.  At least he can set up a team on the pitch.

Ouzounidis should be our next NT coach.  Time to start a petition.

called that already..look what he's doing in a doomed to fail pao team. 

48 minutes ago, jvc said:

You're 100 percent wrong.  Team took steps forward....we had key players out yesterday,  and the goalkeeper had a rare bad game.   You guys keep blaming the coaching every year,  even a SANTOS hater.   THE TEAM OVERACHIED THIS CAMPAIGN.

You know what.  I agree.  This bunch of players did over achieve when you consider the fact half of the players in the starting 11 of most games should not even be starting or in the NT at all.

Time for a clean out.  A lot of players need to GTFO.

Well unless some miracle happens on Sunday I'm almost 100% the Epo will get rid of Skibbe as his job was to get us to the World cup and anything less was considered a failure to the EPO and they stated that when they hired him... Lets wait and see what happens.. 

It sucks we couldn't pull out a 2nd goal at the end there. Make it 2-4 and then we are somewhat back in the tie going back home. I am Stoll stunned at how crap our defense looked only Germany hit us for 4 goals in the Euro and they earned them, we gifted Croatia 2 of the dumbest goals possible.I can't believe it.

Just now, J1078 said:

Well unless some miracle happens on Sunday I'm almost 100% the Epo will get rid of Skibbe as his job was to get us to the World cup and anything less was considered a failure to the EPO and they stated that when they hired him... Lets wait and see what happens.. 

Two years of a solid qualification overall and it goes down the drain in 30 minutes. 

• Sad 1

i think the team is embarrased, i think they will make a better showing SUnday (cant get any worse) 

but ---- if they lay dwon its really sending a message that they are done with this coach. (thats essentially what happened againg Faroe Islands and that whole debacle.) 

1 hour ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

I find it Hard for Tziolis being 34 when the euro campaign starts still remains elidgible for the NT. 

I expect Torosidis , Tziolis to retire officialy and maybe Maniatis and Tzavellas to unoficially do as well after Sunday.

But for the sake of god you mofos. 

Maniatis and Tziolis I agree.

But blaming Karnezis and Tzavellas who we actually praised a couple of months go when they made excellent performances against Belgium. That's what a Kanape Coach looks like. That's what you look like.

We need to promote our youth wingers because this is exactly what this NT was missing to make the step forward. It wouldn't make us world beater it would make us better.

And yes. This whole campaign in a total is a step forward. Look at the results and tell me so far out of 11 matches, in how many did we clearly underachieve? I ll tell u. Only 2. One was vs Estonia and the 2nd was yesterday. 

2 / 11 under achieving is a lot better than underachieving in 9 games out of 10 vs Finland Northern Ireland and Faroes.

The good thing : Future seems a bit promising.

The bad thing: Sokratis is getting older year by year. Noone has realised hes 29-30 today.

why torosidis could be done? i mean i could see that if we'd fail miserably in our group, repeating a 2016ish performance. 

also everyone please stop putting the blame on karnezis. indeed it's partially his fault the first goal but tzavellas' awful pass lead to that first of all. second one, kalinic is unmarked inside the box, have you ever seen that again? third one, vrsaljko has all the time to make a great cross after tzavellas lost him, finds perisic who was unmarked by maniatis and scores on an open net. 4th is totally up to stafylidis.

skibbe's desicion to put zeca on the wings, start maniatis and tziolis remains unexplainable however. also, those who you're dissapointed by fortounis. what can you do he's capable of doing against 6 croatian players at times? only him and mitroglou are up front, no support whatsoever. 

4 minutes ago, Boxou said:

called that already..look what he's doing in a doomed to fail pao team. 

I think he's the real deal and can definitely get a lot more out of the squad.  I'd actually like to see his squad selections because I'm sure half of them would be gone.  He ain't the sort of guy to take s%$#! either.

Our current crop of players fall into one of two camps.  One bunch get selected no matter what and the other bunch will never get selected.  How on earth is that a way to run a team ?

Tziolis the Untouchable ... indeed.  That goes fro Samaris too.  Go play like that in front of Ouzounidis if they dare.

1 minute ago, Ellada2004 said:

It sucks we couldn't pull out a 2nd goal at the end there. Make it 2-4 and then we are somewhat back in the tie going back home. I am Stoll stunned at how crap our defense looked only Germany hit us for 4 goals in the Euro and they earned them, we gifted Croatia 2 of the dumbest goals possible.I can't believe it.

Yes its completely ruined my mood and I cant believe what happened... I still think even though we gifted them two goals Skibbe made a huge mistake with the line up he choose.. Even worse when we were down 3-1 the only change he made was brining Retsos in which should have started over maniatis in the first place.. how he does not bring in the starter for Aek that has played so well this year in Lazaros is mind blowing or even some speed in pelkas to try and get another goal.. His brilliant brain brought in Baka instead.. This lose is on the players but Skibbe needs to take some serious blame in this one but his comments after the game when asked by reporters if he made a mistake was "I don't think i made any mistakes today" are you serious buddy?? take responsibility for your actions you know you f.. up 

• Like it 1

i remember when there were articles around about how good is skibbe doing that he doesn't value the club performance, trying to explain why the likes of vellios, tziolis, maniatis, diamantakos, gianniotas, get called up while they have been bench warmers in awful clubs. 

with ouzounidis in all of them would be gone and we'd play better football. also he'd help us on vlachodimos issue, he'd make the right selections.

What kind of messaging is Skibbe sending to his players?? If you're Lazaros are you not pissed off?? I mean what does it take for this guy to start you? he's been one of Aeks best players and has been producing but he still doesn't get picked and the only game he plays in is against Gibraltar.. The same thing happened with Holebas and yes he's a hot head and so on blah blah blah the fact is this couch was picking a worse player and gave him the starting job over Holebas so Holebas said f.. it.. This is sending a bad message to the team and the fact that you don't have to have regular playing time and you don't have to be an inform player to get chosen over better quality players.. Its really a bad trend Skibbe has started..

Putting up Maniatis vs. Perisic was the biggest mistake.

If anything should have put Retsos as RB which have nullified attack on the wings but at least have a chance to shut that side down.

Torosidis being out was a huge loss in the battle to keep Perisic under control.

Tzav doesn't bother me but that should've been Holebas's spot.

I wish we just kept Santos and we would've had Holebas starting and Santos at least understands Greek football coaching in the league for years.

Though we can't take it away. This was a solid campaign besides a 30 minute hickup that made us likely lose it all.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

1 hour ago, Boxou said:

why torosidis could be done? i mean i could see that if we'd fail miserably in our group, repeating a 2016ish performance. 

also everyone please stop putting the blame on karnezis. indeed it's partially his fault the first goal but tzavellas' awful pass lead to that first of all. second one, kalinic is unmarked inside the box, have you ever seen that again? third one, vrsaljko has all the time to make a great cross after tzavellas lost him, finds perisic who was unmarked by maniatis and scores on an open net. 4th is totally up to stafylidis.

skibbe's desicion to put zeca on the wings, start maniatis and tziolis remains unexplainable however. also, those who you're dissapointed by fortounis. what can you do he's capable of doing against 6 croatian players at times? only him and mitroglou are up front, no support whatsoever. 

He is 32 and next year he will be 33 when the World Cup (that he s gonna miss) happens. No point to pick him. I suppose he has twice as much dignity as Tziolis has and he will retire on his own. It is the right thing to do.

Well you guys know what they say. New year new me and shiet.

We currently can't hope for a success. We can only hope for a buildup process.

Frankly ask a few of the players to retire like Maniatis , Tziolis (honest opinion these are the only ones who were undeserved). Also kick a few players who really don't deserve a call up until they do (Diamantakos,Vellios,Bakasetas,Oikonomou are a few). 

Take a new coach, introduce Holebas back since he got a couple of years left in him and add young kids on the wings. Teach them to help their fullback in their lane with defence and voila. I am currently HOPING to see such a NT in the Euro Qualifiers and let them end 3rd or 4th it doesn't matter. Use players who play the game and are thristy for glory and recognition.

Also stop overanalyzing it. It was honestly just a bad match. The fact that it was such a terrible performance since 2012 really tells me only one thing "we are not that bad". And I trully believe it. We are not as bad as  a team conceding 4 to a Croatia. But this is sport and such things happen. If Skibbe was as idiot as u re all opposing he would ve failed in the matches vs Belgium and Bosnia. In 4 matches he proved to be above expectation (because honestly , only a few non-Greeks expected us to finish 2nd). In one match we lost. It's all a part of the sport mates. And Croatia might not be Brazil but they sure as hell played like it yesterday.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

Regarding the game, we made two really bad mistakes (the 1st and 4th goals).  Take those away, the game ends 2-1 with Greece playing Tsiolis and Maniatis in there. Even the second goal, could have been avoided if someone was marking.  The first goal rattled the team and the flood gates opened.   Overall, it was/is a good campaign, with a few tweaks, we can be very good.  I still don't understand Tsiolis and Maniatis playing but that's he decision.  For this game, we need to attack, have to go for it!!! I would start the following:

Anestis

48 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

pes ta

This what we all have been saying from  the beginning but for some reason only Skibbe doesn't see it that way.. Guys we are a team with limited talent we can AFFORD to pass on a player like Holebas it's crazy.. 

36 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

He is 32 and next year he will be 33 when the World Cup (that he s gonna miss) happens. No point to pick him. I suppose he has twice as much dignity as Tziolis has and he will retire on his own. It is the right thing to do.

1) If Toro was to retire he'll wait for 7 caps to hit the centennial

2) Is anyone pushing him to retire? Yes, Retsos can replace him, but he is very young and a natural CB. We have no legitimate RB replacement in the pipeline unless you consider Lykogiannis or 26 yr old Bakakis, but despite Toro's age, they are still a big drop-off. 

I love some of the faith you guys have. But reality is we keep going backwards. Not qualifying for the Euros last time was bad but it worse now. We now missed 2 major tournaments in a row.  Last Time that happened was before 2004.  We remember the dark ages of the national team. That's where it's headed. I don't think we will qualify again for a long long time. Mark my words.  There needs to be big changes in Greek soccer. 

And no I don't believe we will come back from 4-1. Mission in possible. We will come out attacking but that will leave us wide open for them to pop in a few. It's over. The fat lady has sung for Greece.

Yesterday my Italian, Portuguese and Spanish friends just kept laughing about the Greek team and saying now the world really knows we are only a fluke team winning the Euros but not changing anything. FML lol

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic