Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

Guys, I think Greece will be fine without Manolas in the first leg. Papadopoulos is a good replacement. My only concern about him, he is not very mobile and covers ground like Manolas does. And we all know he is well know to have a short fuse. 

Edited by Molon Lave
  • Like it 1

7 hours ago, J1078 said:

Are you kidding me now?? Socratis is out for the playoffs???  WTF can it get any worse for us.. I'm literally speechless right now. F*** it looks like its not meant to be ffs...

What is going on around this team? Unreal.

2 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

Guys, I think Greece will be fine without Manolas in the first leg. Papadopoulos is a good replacement. My only concern about him, he is not very mobile and covers ground like Manolas does. And we all know he is well know to have a short fuse. 

Yes Kpaps is solid but he can't run down forwards with the same burst of speed if needed like Manolas. Hopefully he keeps his emotions in check.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, nick said:

My biggest worry is more about the 2nd leg.. if we need a goal in second half, who has ability to come on..zero options. Karelia should have been called. Guys like pelkas, diamantakos, vellios, bakasetas aren’t options

Gianniotis 

2 hours ago, Molon Lave said:

I'm sorry but I disagree.  Will Greece be fine, maybe.  But Manolas for me is the most important player on the defence and imo, the most important player on our team.  Yes over Sokratis.  And K. Paps is not the same player.  

This is a big loss to the backline and a shocking decision by UEFA.  I am wondering if we can appeal because there is certainly grounds.  Personally feel Manolas is even more important in the away leg. 

• Like it 1

59 minutes ago, HellasLEAF said:

I'm sorry but I disagree.  Will Greece be fine, maybe.  But Manolas for me is the most important player on the defence and imo, the most important player on our team.  Yes over Sokratis.  And K. Paps is not the same player.  

This is a big loss to the backline and a shocking decision by UEFA.  I am wondering if we can appeal because there is certainly grounds.  Personally feel Manolas is even more important in the away leg. 

I definitely agree. Sokratis is very vital also. Papadopoulos is still very useful. Looks like Risvanis and Chatzisaias are proving to be solid in the superleague. Oikonomou is not bad and Siovas is doing well in Spain. Of course Retsos is coming up as well. So we have a lot of depth in this position. I wish we can say the same for our strikers.

• Like it 1

Yeah, I think that we need to believe that this team has goals in it. Tziolis scored in Cyprus so who knows he may go on a roll and get a 2nd.

K Pap is good in the air. Stafylidis and Tzavellas can hit them from outside the box. Fortounis scored 3 and is due another soon. Zecca, Samaris and Laz have all scored for the Ethniki. Gianniotis has scored 2, from limited chances. 

• Like it 2

I agree kpaps is a good player but we definitely take a huge step back with out Manolas. I'm worried that kpaps slower speed may force him to take some rough tackles in the box that can lead to a penalty or close range free kicks for Croatia. Its going to be very hard to keep Croatia off the board. I'm so pissed with Fifa bullshit decision.. I'm nervous as F*** right now....

Do we have a final answer weather Sokratis will miss the games or not? I heard he is fine but his MRI today will show what s gonna happen.

Also don't cry over Manolas. It is just 90 minutes and the team might play more conservatively with his absence. We have the roster and ability to do that.

Papadopoulos ain't even close to Manolas level but he is decent. Mandzukic ain't a pacey monster who needs a quick centerback to mark him anyways. As long as our wingers backtrack and help Toro and Stafylidi/Tzavellas and Zeka is on Modric all the time I think we re looking for a 0-0 match there. 

The Croatians know they d rather play conservative first leg as well since they don't wanna let us have the pleasure of an away goal.

The real issue is not missing Sokratis for both legs. If he does miss I can't see how Retsos / K. Papadopoulos are as good as our Manolas/Sokratis duo. They re probably miles away since they re both young and not fully developed yet.

Btw my abscence from these forums since Manolas elimination from the first match is something I'd recommend to everyone. 

There are too many posters who just spread negativity and do nothing else. I dont need various people telling me the team I love the most is having a hard time.
I ll see you guys at the matchday!!!

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

I study chemistry and took a 

12 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I don't think we will no his status until after his MRI. The fact the he is even doing a mri should concern us..

I study chemistry and I took an MRI class in the Iatriki of heraklion. 

MRI shows you everything. It can even show an infection and it shows exactly how many cells have been injured /what is wrong with them. All based on water concentration in those cells.

Athletes doMRI for everything because they re worth a lot of money. Common people can't do an MRI even if they ve got tenonditis for 2 months (personal experience).

It will prove weather he needs to sit it out or playing won't hurt him I suppose. If he ll play it ll be with a painkiller injection I suppose. 

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Chris Tsamados said:

If the EPO have called up another player does that must mean that he is going to miss at least the first game. 

Nah they probably called players just to be prepared.

I ve mentioned this earlier as well but there are more players called in the NT than they are officially announced. 

1 hour ago, Chris Tsamados said:

If the EPO have called up another player does that must mean that he is going to miss at least the first game. 

apparently he will be fine. two players got called up to be prepared for everything though

however, guess what, skibbe called FACKING kolovetsios and oikonomou instead of siovas. 

to sum up we have 2 players that should be in the squad no matter what, but have been left out, and instead they will be replaced by FACKING kolovetsios and vellios. just resign the cvnt skibbe already, after the humiliation against croatia with his choices. retarded. 

39 minutes ago, Boxou said:

apparently he will be fine. two players got called up to be prepared for everything though

however, guess what, skibbe called FACKING kolovetsios and oikonomou instead of siovas. 

to sum up we have 2 players that should be in the squad no matter what, but have been left out, and instead they will be replaced by FACKING kolovetsios and vellios. just resign the cvnt skibbe already, after the humiliation against croatia with his choices. retarded. 

name the two players.
Also why all the fuss for a Centerback?
We re talking about siovas being the 5th option in the Centerbacks.

Manolas- Sokratis - Papadopoulos - Retsos are all above him in both talent and form. 

Diamantakos is gonna get kicked when Karelis returns.

Same attributes. A fact pacey dude who can also play on the wings.

Vellios is also a 4th option fot CF but if you look at the ones we have
Mitroglou,Donis,Karelis , none of the 2 latter have the same attributes as Mitroglou. Tall static centerforward with a decent amount of shot. I suppose Skibbe just wants him to be the 4th option.

We re a  team that scores literally almost never so set pieces is something you need height for. I don't agree with Vellios call up. I am sure there are many others in Greek teams who can be called instead, but it has a reasoning.

We re literally fightong over players who are never gonna play.

Kolovetsios? Oikonomou? They re gonna be the 6th and 7th Centerbacks , not even counting Tzavellas.

Also when I talked about Negativity, you were the one I had on my mind. And to be fair, you didn't disappoint me a single bit.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

you can talk as much as you want. with manolas out and sokratis coming off an injury siovas is a no-brainer. yet again the german coach who managed to kick out cholevas from the team, prefers kolovetsios and oikonomou. speechless.

also karelis at 50% is still more useful than vellios and diamantakos combined. but skibbe wants to have his boys around who didn't have a single chance against might estonia.

vlachodimos or even gianniotis are better keepers than anests. yet again all we see from skibbe is kiriakidis from panetolikos and anestis from aek.

also if skibbe starts tziolis instead of samaris/zeca/kourmpelis i'll all in for him to get the sack immidiatelly. 

The Epo has already criticized and questioned Skibbe's player selections as mentioned in a previous article and that's why they want to wait until after the playoffs before committing to him for another campaign. Skibbe has done a lot of good but come on guys lets be serious his call ups have not been good and either has his sub choices But we should not be surprised at all as he's done this the entire time he's been here. I pray he doesn't start Tziolis but I think he will..  Regardless we have bigger things to worry about now this week and we pretty much all know which layers will be selected. I don't think Vellios deserves a call up but I highly doubt he will play at all. 

Edited by J1078

Working without critiscism is unhealthy.

Achieving your goals against any criticism is healthy.

So far he has achived his goal of 2nd place.

It's not a matter of coach if we can't win croatia or not. We don;t have the squad to beat them. 

But we didn't have the squad to draw Belgium and play 180 minutes like we were worth a spot in Russia, yet we did.

Skibbe has a few selections that suck. I ll go make a post about my ideal 23 man roster. However, Skibbe's managerial plans have all worked. The only match he really didn't get what he realistically wanted was vs Estonia. We re talking about 1 match in 10. People are literally talking about 1 match for Skibbe. Everyone forgot his draw (which was 100% strategical and coaching outplay, nothing more) with Belgium. Everyone forgot he didn't lose to Bosnia and in fact made them look weaker away. Everyone talks about the Estonia match. And he doesn't care.

• Like it 1

2 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Working without critiscism is unhealthy.

Achieving your goals against any criticism is healthy.

So far he has achived his goal of 2nd place.

It's not a matter of coach if we can't win croatia or not. We don;t have the squad to beat them. 

But we didn't have the squad to draw Belgium and play 180 minutes like we were worth a spot in Russia, yet we did.

Skibbe has a few selections that suck. I ll go make a post about my ideal 23 man roster. However, Skibbe's managerial plans have all worked. The only match he really didn't get what he realistically wanted was vs Estonia. We re talking about 1 match in 10. People are literally talking about 1 match for Skibbe. Everyone forgot his draw (which was 100% strategical and coaching outplay, nothing more) with Belgium. Everyone forgot he didn't lose to Bosnia and in fact made them look weaker away. Everyone talks about the Estonia match. And he doesn't care.

I agree... An I'm sure we can all agree on certain players and how they shouldn't be selected or starting. But you are absolutely correct he did achieve his goal which was 2nd place and heading to the playoffs as we all knew Belgium would take 1st. Croatia also have a much better and deeper squad then us and it is on the players but Skibbe will need to take some responsibility with his line up and game style he chooses. We cant be upset with his defence first mentality as that's the style that makes our team successful. We saw what happened when Raneri tried to make us a more offensive team we become lost.. I just think we are leaving out more talented players and yet that is hindering our potential..

• Like it 1

• Lazarus featured this topic
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic