Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

12 minutes ago, tantra129 said:

kpaps should not be in the mid

i'm saying a free roamer. most of the time acting like a shield to the defensive line, up top and coming up for headers on set pieces.

not suggesting he play maestro LOL.

20 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

i'm saying a free roamer. most of the time acting like a shield to the defensive line, up top and coming up for headers on set pieces.

not suggesting he play maestro LOL.

like a stopper or a sweeper?

Apparently Ciro Blazevic former Croatian player and coach said that Croatia will crush us and said who are Greece and they are nowhere near Croatias pedigree. It reminds me of the Romanians before our playoff for 2014 World Cup spewing the same garbage. Time to destroy Croatia!

2 hours ago, Argy said:

I wouldn`t be surprised if there if they play 3 DMs Tziolis, Zeca, Samaris and the just Mantalos and Fortounis in more attacking roles. 

I wouldn't be surprised either. However, Skibbe might recognize that without a linkup between the DMs and the attackers, our performance in all phases of the game will suffer. To his credit, he used an AM away vs Bosnia...

2 hours ago, tantra129 said:

kpaps should not be in the mid

Goddamn right

I read this and he alludes to our world rankings; which is pretty much the only thing anyone can actually use in their argument. Take away our transition period losses to some minnows, which will never happen again, and we would easily be top 25 or 30, even if we haden't qualified for Euro.

This current campaign, we lost less games and scored more goals than them with Belgium in our group, while their biggest rival was very beatable Iceland. 

1 minute ago, pash said:

I wouldn't be surprised either. However, Skibbe might recognize that without a linkup between the DMs and the attackers, our performance in all phases of the game will suffer. To his credit, he used an AM away vs Bosnia...

Donis would have been a great piece. 

At the end of the day we're a team that rises to the big games. Croatia doesn't, they flatter to deceive and always get beaten when they play anyone half decent. 

Its so annoying that our team seems to be made of glass when it comes to injuries! Why the hell can't Tziolis get injured instead of important players like Manolas and Donis! 

still we have like 20 days to go for the games so we'll have to wait for injuries which will occur (hopefully not) to have a clear picture. 

i just hope we won't go out there playing only in our own half. croatia are definitely a worse team than belgium and we controlled the game nicely against them.

0-1 away 0-0 at home :D  

The thing is without Manolas, Sokratis and Mitroglou we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. Donis is a huge loss and that is an understatement. Players like Samaris, Mantalos and Fortounis have to do more. Stafylidis and Zeca are doing fine. Karelis won't be ready for November. If we can get more from the three I mentioned above then we should be fine.

8 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

The thing is without Manolas, Sokratis and Mitroglou we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. Donis is a huge loss and that is an understatement. Players like Samaris, Mantalos and Fortounis have to do more. Stafylidis and Zeca are doing fine. Karelis won't be ready for November. If we can get more from the three I mentioned above then we should be fine.

Karelis played his first game on Monday..

https://www.agonasport.com/agonasport-allnews/nikos-karelis-returns-after-10-month-injury

2 hours ago, Argy said:

I read this and he alludes to our world rankings; which is pretty much the only thing anyone can actually use in their argument. Take away our transition period losses to some minnows, which will never happen again, and we would easily be top 25 or 30, even if we haden't qualified for Euro.

This current campaign, we lost less games and scored more goals than them with Belgium in our group, while their biggest rival was very beatable Iceland. 

He did say that Croatia are ranked high and Greece are way down the rankings table. He was going on and on how he always beat us as a coach and that we lack quality and they are a super power of football. what has Croatia ever won?? Lol. Anyways the players should read his comments and they will come out even more fired up. 

9 hours ago, tantra129 said:

not playing for benfica is the criteria behind your selection?

bravo sou

WTF some people :confused:

Samaris does't really get to play for Benfica-that's the real problem. Zeca Taxi and Bouchalakis offer more.

re-tard(a) you sound like a <20 kid but i won't be surprised if you actually are 

so here it is;

making an argument of how bad a player is, pointing out his mistake against a TOP-5 NT in the world is not smart fella. 

i hope you get to see your championship/superleague/tziolis type of players instead of him though. 

Edited by Boxou

You make It sound like its..er.. Sexy re Boxi!

Can't wait for Karelis to come back and be played out of position to spray his crosses all over the shop like before.

Edited by ausgreek
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tantra129 said:

not playing for benfica is the criteria behind your selection?

bravo sou

WTF some people :confused:

It is not the only criteria but it is a significant one. There is a reason why he was identified, signed and kept by a top class club like Benfica and has more market value than all our mids besides fortounis. He gets to train and play alongside some of the better players in the world within a world class club culture. That holds a lot of value. Unless he really doesn't gel with his teammates and is a liability, he has to start for the NT, especially when we are fielding 2 or 3 DMs. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

Our options are scarce though. It's very hard to swallow with our only DM with some pedigree can't make the starting XI and guys playing in Saudi Arabia, Denmark and Greece should all be ahead of him. 

Edited by Argy

Guys lets be honest just because Samaris is training with great players but still riding the bench does not make it the same thing as playing a game and being in a game. Train and practice all you want but playing an actually game is night and day. I understand we are very limited in that position but do we really want to take a chance with a player that hasn't been playing in such a huge game?  I'm not saying he shouldn't be part of the team but I don't think we can play him in this big game right now..

Edited by J1078

The arguments vs Samaris are fair, but I will keep going back to what is our alternative? Tziolis from Al-Fayha? Maniatis who plays on a sub-par Turkish club? Tachtsidis who sometimes plays with Olympiacos? Siopis from Panionios or Kourbelis from PAO who have no NT caps? Zeca who plays in Denmark?

I am not saying Samaris should start ahead of all of the above, certainly atm not ahead of Zeca, but since we will play 2 or 3 DMs, how could you look past someone who has played 74 games with Benfica and is 28 yrs old.  

2 hours ago, Argy said:

It is not the only criteria but it is a significant one. There is a reason why he was identified, signed and kept by a top class club like Benfica and has more market value than all our mids besides fortounis. He gets to train and play alongside some of the better players in the world within a world class club culture. That holds a lot of value. Unless he really doesn't gel with his teammates and is a liability, he has to start for the NT, especially when we are fielding 2 or 3 DMs. 

Market values does not say much in this case; it says more about Olymbiakos smart strategy, manager connections and exposure via CL, and age. The fact that Samaris costed more than Berg, Zeka and Emokou combined says it all.

• Lazarus changed the title to Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )
  • Lazarus featured this topic
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic