Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

European World Cup play-off draw:

Northern Ireland v Switzerland
Denmark v Republic of Ireland
Croatia v Greece
Sweden v Italy

The games will take place on a home and away basis, with the first legs between 9 and 11 November and the second legs between 12 and 14 November.

• Like it 1

We need to stay in form and healthy. Manolas has to be ready, he is expected to return Nov. 6, which is cutting it close and I have a feeling they will leave him out. Hopefully Karelis will be in form to backup Mitro. Donis has to start but I don't see it happening.

Zeca will be one of the likely 3 DMs we will start alongside Tziolis and Samaris. I don't agree with it but this is what we will probably see:

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Papadopoulos Tzavellas

Zeca Tziolis Samaris 

Mantalos Fortounis

Mitroglou

This is what I'd like to see though:

Karnezis

Torosidis Sokratis Manolas Stafylidis

Zeca Samaris Tachtsidis

Fortounis Donis

Mitroglou

I also wish we could field a 3 CB formation but that's beyond pushing it with this manager. 

Edited by Argy

Greece should have a good game away in Croatia. the croats do not have a strong play style on the international level, players like Modirc, Perisic and Rakitic are all top tier players but if we can play like the way we did against Belgium, we will be going to Russia.

For the first leg, it is really important that we get at least one goal to help us on away goals. even if we dont win, a 1-1 or 2-2 draw will be fantastic.

But, If we can get the win or not, the Greek supporters will make the visitors seem unwelcome at home, we will win the 2nd leg

ELLAS OLE!!!!

• Like it 1

We have become a team again. I'm glad what Sokratis said about how it is a blessing to be born Greek. I believe with a Greek heart we can take on anyone and destroy them especially if you are united and a team and thats what we have become. Now we look forward to this match full of confidence and eagerness to make the world cup. Manolas will be a loss if he is not playing. Papadopoulos should do fine. Donis and Fortounis should start. With Lazaros, Mantalos and maybe Karelis as bench options. 

Tziolis and Maniatis should be done after this as Siopis and Kourbelis are ready to prove their worth. Zeca is a good player with a motor and Samaris and Tachtsidis are the best holding midfielders in Greece. 

Since Karagounis and Katsouranis retired they should be given the reigns as the 2 midfielders. Fortounis should be ahead of them as the number 10. 

• Like it 3

well if manolas will be available for the roma game that sunday then i think he will start for us too in the first game. 

from croatia, kovacic, brozovic and pjaca will be out. they also have plenty of players who are yellow card away of suspension.

i think our performances against belgium were a good evident of how we're doing in big games. and i also rate belgium way higher than croatia. but im afraid of skibbe and his dreadful choices, croatian midfield is world class so starting tziolis will be a suicide. if he doesn't, i give us chances of grabbing a victory away. mitroglou is getting back in form while having donis around is a great bonus. we can score a goal and hopefully we'll not conceding more than 1. even a 1-1 result will be great, going back to athens with us having the advantage is what we need. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, trotsk13 said:

Roma hoping to get Manolas back Nov. 5, which would give him a tune-up for the Croatia series. This article notes his desire to be back for the Greek playoffs: 

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Roma/16-10-2017/roma-lesione-adduttore-manolas-out-3-4-settimane-2201361281464.shtml

Can't see Manolas missing out vs Croatia.

i suspect we might not see a 4-2-3-1 formation now. skibbe might try the same 4-4-1-1 he used for the belgium game

karnezis

torosidis-sokratis-papadopoulos-tzavellas

mantalos-zeca-samaris-stafylidis

fortounis

mitroglou

the most probable one in my mind

• Like it 1

32 minutes ago, Boxou said:

i suspect we might not see a 4-2-3-1 formation now. skibbe might try the same 4-4-1-1 he used for the belgium game

karnezis

torosidis-sokratis-papadopoulos-tzavellas

mantalos-zeca-samaris-stafylidis

fortounis

mitroglou

the most probable one in my mind

Surely Manolas gets the start

39 minutes ago, Megas said:

thank god we have gianiotas. I feel he is quicker than mitroglou

Do you really think Skibbe is going to use him?  The kid scores whenever he plays for us yet Skibbe doesn't play him...  Im Pretty sure he will use the same line up he used in Belgium when we tied 1-1 I just can't remind the line up.

• Lazarus changed the title to Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )
  • Lazarus featured this topic
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic