Phantis Forums

Greece vs Gibraltar (10 Oct. 2017, 21:45 EET - Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

This match is a good opportunity to get rid of any rustiness or lack of confidence in front of goal. Scoring goals can become a habit & if players like Mantalos, Donis etc can put away a couple goals, although against Gibraltar it can help mentally.

• Like it 3

It's probably going to be 

Karnezis

Toro - Sokratis - Kyriakos - Tzavellas

Zeca Siopis

Lazaros - Fortounis - Mantalos

Mitroglou

I expect Skibbe to reward Siopis with some playtime after calling him all these times and not fielding him.

I also assumed Lazaros would be played in Cyprus only if we had taken a strong lead and controlled the match 0-2 0-3. The fact that such a result didn't come meant we needed different styles of players like Donis who can keep the ball and run up and down and a fresh up defender sub alongside Samaris who can also keep ball and press high. Thank god he did not shiet himself after his stomach flu.

Since that didnt happen. The Gibraltar match is honestly a friendly. Lazaros has to prove why his call up was justified and that the common public asking for him to be part of the NT was reasonable. He has nothing to lose I suppose so he ll bring his best game.

Tzavellas over Stafylidis because in both National breaks he seems unable to play for more than 65 minutes. The fact that Augsburg aint fielding him after his supposed transfer might really cost this player a great career. I wonder what happened to Roma Inter and Hamburg and they quit hunting him

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 2

stafylidis is not a winger like skibbe insists to play him. that's why he looks terrible at times, as mantalos does. both are not wingers and they have been asked not to overlook their defensive duties. if karelis is healthy for the playoffs i wouldn't mind watching him and donis as wingers, fortounis behind mitroglou, samaris and zeca in the midfield along with the usual backline. 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Greece vs Gibraltar (10 Oct. 2017- Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)
  • Lazarus featured this topic

What? This game will help us prepare for the playoffs? You got to be kidding me. Gibraltar a minnow a nobody lol

We had a whole qualifying to get ready and never grasped it by the balls. We should have finished in 2nd like a boss and beat the likes of Estonia lol

i have no hopes for the playoffs if we get a miracle and get there. Teams like Italy, Portugal/Swiss, Sweden ,Denmark will all be praying to play us.

we won't qualify. I have a better chance of winning the lottery 

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

What? This game will help us prepare for the playoffs? You got to be kidding me. Gibraltar a minnow a nobody lol

We had a whole qualifying to get ready and never grasped it by the balls. We should have finished in 2nd like a boss and beat the likes of Estonia lol

i have no hopes for the playoffs if we get a miracle and get there. Teams like Italy, Portugal/Swiss, Sweden ,Denmark will all be praying to play us.

After how we handled Belgium, teams like Italy and Portugal should be careful what they wish for. Greece plays up to their rivals.

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 3

------------------karnezis--------------------

Retsos-k.paps-sokratis-stafylidis

-------------Zeca------Tziolis---------------

-------------------Fortounis------------------

------Mantalos-------------Lazaros------

------------------Mitroglou--------------------

This is probably what will be played against gibraltar

8 hours ago, Boxou said:

stafylidis is not a winger like skibbe insists to play him. that's why he looks terrible at times, as mantalos does. both are not wingers and they have been asked not to overlook their defensive duties. if karelis is healthy for the playoffs i wouldn't mind watching him and donis as wingers, fortounis behind mitroglou, samaris and zeca in the midfield along with the usual backline. 

While I agree that Stafilidis is not a winger Skibe plays him there for a reason.

In today's soccer and when playing a better team you need midfielders (especially in the wings) that are fast, aggressive and can defend. Apart from Zeka no other midfielder can do it. Stafilidis does this well.  Given than Tsavellas plays well in LB, IMO this is a no brainer.

Actually I predict that Stafilidies and Zeka will play in all games going forward.

I would play 4-1-3-2 with Stafilidis and zeka at LM & RM respectively.

DM Skibe will play Tsiolis and the only position open is the middle in center.

5 hours ago, PaoOle said:

While I agree that Stafilidis is not a winger Skibe plays him there for a reason.

In today's soccer and when playing a better team you need midfielders (especially in the wings) that are fast, aggressive and can defend. Apart from Zeka no other midfielder can do it. Stafilidis does this well.  Given than Tsavellas plays well in LB, IMO this is a no brainer.

Actually I predict that Stafilidies and Zeka will play in all games going forward.

I would play 4-1-3-2 with Stafilidis and zeka at LM & RM respectively.

DM Skibe will play Tsiolis and the only position open is the middle in center.

Yes that is an excellent point he closes down the opposition so quickly. The first game he came in for the NT at Belgium he was quick and last month vs Belgium he was covering do much ground. He just works so hard for us and you can tell he loves playing for the fanella.

Greece vs Gibraltar,

To all my Greeksters enjoy this game on Tuesday.

To all those unwavering fans that understand Greek soccer, I stand by you.

To all of those negative Greek fans that have been hitting the argile, or drinking "bomba" drinks at a very sketchy skiladiko and aren't making sense.......relax. 

Everyone must understand we are not the coaches, or the players. We are simply the fans.

In the end, do your stavrouli, Make a Fredo cappuccino, wear your brightest fanella, and eat a delicious spanakopita as a tasty snack.

Remember SO MANY OTHER TEAMS WOULD KILL TO BE IN OUR POSITION. So we'll take Gibraltar for our final do or die match.

• Like it 5

^ Exactly... Imagine our last game was against Belgium or even Bosnia and we needed a win... We now have to beat the whipping boys of the group to advance into the playoffs to get into the World Cup.. All the pieces have fallen exactly as we needed.

• Like it 2

Exactly good points. How many teams would love to be in the playoffs for a chance to go to the World Cup? Many countries have not made it to a World Cup in decades. I read a lot of people thought Bosnia were the favourite for 2nd when this campaign started but they were not better than us. Greece went toe to toe with Belgium and  came within a few minutes of beating them in Brussels where they have not lost a competitive match in 6 years since losing to Germany. Meanwhile Bosnia got lit up by them for 8 goals in 2 games and the last one they were missing Lukaku, Witzel, Naingohlan and others. Let's win and get there and Lord willing the boys will fight and ultimately prevail and we will be in Russia. Pa Me ELLAS!

• Like it 2

Let me give you my insight on Greece's possible opponent. Italy and Portugal are quite beatable. The recent matches I watch for Italy, they have played mediocre. Not the 2006 team who won the World Cup with the likes of Cannavaro and Pirlo. With all respect to Buffon, but he is old. Portugal is Portugal and Greece still have there number. Other teams like Sweden, Denmark, or Northern Ireland don't scare me one bit. Whoever Greece gets, they will give their 110% on the pitch. 

• Like it 3

6 minutes ago, Molon Lave said:

Let me give you my insight on Greece's possible opponent. Italy and Portugal are quite beatable. The recent matches I watch for Italy, they have played mediocre. Not the 2006 team who won the World Cup with the likes of Cannavaro and Pirlo. With all respect to Buffon, but he is old. Portugal is Portugal and Greece still have there number. Other teams like Sweden, Denmark, or Northern Ireland don't scare me one bit. Whoever Greece gets, they will give their 110% on the pitch. 

Italy are currently in disarray, many pundits are saying Venturo will be sacked for Ancholoti. It would be two teams with a defensive first mentality approach. Italy lack a at striker ATM maybe they finally call up Giovincho. The only thing that worries me about the Italians they are always there, they have not missed out on a Word Cup since 1958. I would like our chances with Sweden, Denmark and would love to beat N Ireland after what happened vs them in the European campaign.

4 hours ago, MItsaras9 said:

Greece vs Gibraltar,

To all my Greeksters enjoy this game on Tuesday.

To all those unwavering fans that understand Greek soccer, I stand by you.

To all of those negative Greek fans that have been hitting the argile, or drinking "bomba" drinks at a very sketchy skiladiko and aren't making sense.......relax. 

Everyone must understand we are not the coaches, or the players. We are simply the fans.

In the end, do your stavrouli, Make a Fredo cappuccino, wear your brightest fanella, and eat a delicious spanakopita as a tasty snack.

Remember SO MANY OTHER TEAMS WOULD KILL TO BE IN OUR POSITION. So we'll take Gibraltar for our final do or die match.

I'm with my Piccolo Latte, stuffing the capsicums and tomatoes for Gemista as we type, fille.

16 hours ago, Torontoblue said:

We rise when we play the best teams, I think those teams would be nervous to play the Greeks re.

• Like it 1

• Lazarus changed the title to Greece vs Gibraltar (10 Oct. 2017, 21:45 EET - Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic